Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is such a bad comparison. Harrison Barnes was not nearly as efficient a player as Brogdon is. BTW. IMO Brogdon is the Bucks second best player.

IMO Bledsoe has easily been the better player this season, on offense and on defense. Middleton has struggled a bit this year so you could argue Malcolm might be the 3rd best but I'd say Khris is still more valuable there.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not a comparison of skill sets. It’s overpaying a role player because he was on a great team... He’s also not their second best player. He’s not even their second best guard. Is Mike Budenholzer playing their 2nd best player 5th in minutes? Brogdon is averaging less assists with a worse AST/TO ratio than Eric Bledsoe who will all think has a terrible feel for playing PG. And for all the talk about Brogdon’s defense he’s nearly last among rotation players on the Bucks in DRTG and their only rotational player with a negative DBPM. So it depends how much you value elite shooting and how you think it would translate to the Suns.

He is clearly their 4th best player behind giannis, Middleton, and bledsoe.

The suns aren’t going to give him a stupid contract. If garland is available he can be just as good if not better in a couple years.

Gambo says they do have some interest in him, but it sounds like randle is their number 1 target.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He is clearly their 4th best player behind giannis, Middleton, and bledsoe.

The suns aren’t going to give him a stupid contract. If garland is available he can be just as good if not better in a couple years.

Gambo says they do have some interest in him, but it sounds like randle is their number 1 target.
It's good to hear Randle is on their radar. In practices he could teach Ayton the power game in the post.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole idea that it would take the max to get Brogdon is a bit nuts. The most I'd be willing to pay him is the same that Bledsoe just got in his extension, or go $1 dollar over that. If Milwaukee decided to match then they get to deal with Bledsoe being butthurt that Brogdon makes more than him and with Rich Paul as his agent, that will be an issue. I think that's an overpay for Brogdon but it's not that crazy of an overpay. If we don't land our guy then we get to watch Milwaukee implode, potentially, and the pick they owe us go up in value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole idea that it would take the max to get Brogdon is a bit nuts. The most I'd be willing to pay him is the same that Bledsoe just got in his extension, or go $1 dollar over that. If Milwaukee decided to match then they get to deal with Bledsoe being butthurt that Brogdon makes more than him and with Rich Paul as his agent, that will be an issue. I think that's an overpay for Brogdon but it's not that crazy of an overpay. If we don't land our guy then we get to watch Milwaukee implode, potentially, and the pick they owe us go up in value.

I think 17 is quite an overpay but yeah, I might consider it too if we have reason to believe Milwaukee will let him go at that number. We still have to fill the PF spot so it would be unfortunate though if we tied ourselves up and lost out both ways.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will match that eagerly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 17 is quite an overpay but yeah, I might consider it too if we have reason to believe Milwaukee will let him go at that number. We still have to fill the PF spot so it would be unfortunate though if we tied ourselves up and lost out both ways.

Brogdon should be an unrestricted free agent but I've seen some contradictory information.

Theoretically the Suns could make an offer and if he is not interested, move on.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brogdon should be an unrestricted free agent but I've seen some contradictory information.

Theoretically the Suns could make an offer and if he is not interested, move on.

Could we offer them compensation to not match? Like returning their pick or something? I guess that would be a sign and trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could we offer them compensation to not match? Like returning their pick or something? I guess that would be a sign and trade.

I thought about this as well. If Brogdon is a restricted free agent and the Suns can get him for the right salary it's something to consider. The Bucks just might do it to get their pick back.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If this were to happen, I'd love for the Suns to look into acquiring Dinwiddie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Dinwiddie is under contract for two more seasons at $10,605,600 and $11,454,048.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a tough one and a steal for the Nets. I guess it depends upon how the Suns feel about Garland and White.
I am not as big a Dinwiddie fan as I am Brogdon, but this is the type of overpay that might be worth it for the good of the team we put on the floor.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Basically you overpay if what you payed for the player is more than the play they do for your team. An example of this, did we overpay for Oubre? I am thinking since most want him resigned, we didn't overpay to get him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not as big a Dinwiddie fan as I am Brogdon, but this is the type of overpay that might be worth it for the good of the team we put on the floor.

I guess this is what is holding me back a bit but the Suns could solve their point guard problem and add a power forward candidate at #17. Then they could add another power forward candidate at #32. I think Warren's value may have gone down anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically you overpay if what you payed for the player is more than the play they do for your team. An example of this, did we overpay for Oubre? I am thinking since most want him resigned, we didn't overpay to get him.

Another thing about this trade scenario (Warren and 6 for Dinwiddie and 17), hopefully the Suns could keep Oubre rather than chasing after a larger salary free agent point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like them about the same, maybe Brogdon a little more. But Dinwiddie is on a decent contract for a couple of years so he's a much better target IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love that trade. I would even go further. (Bucks pick, one of the young PGs, etc.) Dinwiddie is exactly what the Suns need. Big point guard who can play off the ball, is a good defender, and a good-enough shooter.

If they were willing to do that deal I don't think they'd want one of our PG's simply because that eats up more cap space. Warren is due a little more than Dinwiddie and the #6 pick is paid more than the #17 also. We might need to take on Shabazz Napier, Treveon Graham, or Dzanan Musa to make it work for Brooklyn, because they'd be losing about $3-4 million in cap space.

It's too bad that you can't make trades in the NBA like they allow in the NFL and MLB where the team trading the player can pay a portion of the salary of the outgoing player. I know you can include cash in a deal but that's minimal compared to what players make. Or if teams were allowed to trade dead money, like Brooklyn is still paying Deron Williams, who they waived in 2015. He's on the books for $5.7 million next year, which is the last year he's on the books but he's counted against their cap for $5.7 million for the last 5 years. If Brooklyn was allowed to include that in the deal, you'd think it would make it that much more attractive to them. I don't think it would happen a lot but I could definitely see it being something that could help a number of teams if possible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the Playoff thread, it's tied to the Suns in a way because I've read a recent article talking about trading for Chris Paul and based on what Jalen Rose is now saying, he might be available.

Jalen Rose is saying there is turmoil in Houston. Apparently Chris Paul and James Harden butted heads quite a bit during the Warriors series with Paul being mad at Harden, claiming he sabotaged his game and wasn't giving enough effort when Paul was initiating the offense.

I saw this article on Valley of the Suns that suggested the Suns might reach out to Houston to acquire Chris Paul. I hope that doesn't happen. His contract is atrocious, he's too old, and I don't think he has enough left in the tank to help us over for more than 1 season. He's still due $124 million over the next 3 years also, which should be enough to scare anyone away. That is just too much to pay him. If we could somehow agree to a sign and trade max deal for D'Angelo Russell then it would be less Chris Paul's contract in overall due despite being a full year shorter.

Here's the video from Jalen Rose where he talks about Chris Paul and James Harden butting heads this year...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article about conflict between Paul and Harden on RGM 3 or 4 days ago, I suspect that's where Rose first learned of it. I don't know or even care how serious it is, as long as we aren't serious about taking Paul. It seems like every lunatic fringe media person out there has us trading for one horrible contract after another. It's like we're on the John Wall carousel all over again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article about conflict between Paul and Harden on RGM 3 or 4 days ago, I suspect that's where Rose first learned of it. I don't know or even care how serious it is, as long as we aren't serious about taking Paul. It seems like every lunatic fringe media person out there has us trading for one horrible contract after another. It's like we're on the John Wall carousel all over again.

I'd rather gamble on John Wall than Chris Paul. Ideally we'll avoid all of those guys though. With Conley and Holiday both off the table, or at least that's what the latest word was on them, the only overpaid PG I'd gamble on would be Jeff Teague because he's only got 1 year left on his deal for $19-20 million. I don't know if Minnesota is interested in keeping him or not. They're at the tax line already and that's before resigning any of their free agents like Tyus Jones, Derrick Rose, and Taj Gibson. I believe they have 1 or 2 other FA's as well but I don't recall who those others are. They can't resign anyone for more than the league minimum without hitting the tax so a trade that brings in Teague could give them some breathing room and us a PG. Teague for Warren would give them about $10 million they could spend before hitting the tax, which would allow them to resign 1 of their FA's, maybe 2.

I'd rather try to get Jones to sign with us first though. I don't think it's a sure thing they match any offer he gets. There is even a chance they don't extend the qualifying offer because they don't plan on matching.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'd rather gamble on John Wall than Chris Paul. Ideally we'll avoid all of those guys though. With Conley and Holiday both off the table, or at least that's what the latest word was on them, the only overpaid PG I'd gamble on would be Jeff Teague because he's only got 1 year left on his deal for $19-20 million. I don't know if Minnesota is interested in keeping him or not. They're at the tax line already and that's before resigning any of their free agents like Tyus Jones, Derrick Rose, and Taj Gibson. I believe they have 1 or 2 other FA's as well but I don't recall who those others are. They can't resign anyone for more than the league minimum without hitting the tax so a trade that brings in Teague could give them some breathing room and us a PG. Teague for Warren would give them about $10 million they could spend before hitting the tax, which would allow them to resign 1 of their FA's, maybe 2.

I'd rather try to get Jones to sign with us first though. I don't think it's a sure thing they match any offer he gets. There is even a chance they don't extend the qualifying offer because they don't plan on matching.

If forced with the choice I’d take Paul because his contract is a year shorter, he’s not coming of an achilles and there’s always his bb iq to fall back on. He’d be good for Ayton for one, maybe two years and comes off the books before Ayton/Bridges are ready for extensions. That was hard to write considering how much I dislike CP3.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA