O-Line confusion

RedLine

Right Wing Extremist
Reaction score
So we signed guard Keydrick Vincent and cut center Chukky Okobi.

Obviously Whis and Grimm consider Sendlein to be most valuable as backup center and don't want to risk him going down as backup guard, so we were short a guard.

Except, Brad Badger is still on the roster at guard. If we don't want to play him, why is he here?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Obviously Whis and Grimm consider Sendlein to be most valuable as backup center and don't want to risk him going down as backup guard, so we were short a guard.

Except, Brad Badger is still on the roster at guard. If we don't want to play him, why is he here?

He's Rod Graves's nephew.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's Rod Graves's nephew.

Naw. He's nidan's nephew. That has more pull with Michael Bidwill. Rod Graves is Ian's front man. And behind every powerful man is a more powerful woman: Brighteyes!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brad Badger taking up a roster spot is a mystery. He didn't even get on the field in preseason. Who knows?

Hey, Somers! Can you ask Whisenhunt about Badger please?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Brad Badger taking up a roster spot is a mystery. He didn't even get on the field in preseason. Who knows?

Hey, Somers! Can you ask Whisenhunt about Badger please?

Not true, he played a lot in the second half of several games and played pretty well. While many were thinking Gorin would make the roster I was one of the few who thought Badger would make the team off of his play in those preseason games.

For what it's worth he played tackle in those games. I think his ability to play both guard and tackle kept him on this roster. If we've seen anything from Whiz and Grimm it's that they like versatility in their offensive linemen. Like Sendlein Badger showed the staff that he was capable of playing multiple positions.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth he played tackle in those games. I think his ability to play both guard and tackle kept him on this roster. If we've seen anything from Whiz and Grimm it's that they like versatility in their offensive linemen. Like Sendlein Badger showed the staff that he was capable of playing multiple positions.

Then why didn't he play Sunday? I mean, especially if Whis was complaining about "making Gs play T, and Cs play G" just today?

He signed in time for the last two preseason games. I honestly don't remember him on the field. But, if you say so, okay. In fact, I remember looking at him on the sidelines of the Chargers game, right in front of me, and thinking "Well, he'll be cut. He's only lineman not in the game." Guess I missed it.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Then why didn't he play Sunday? I mean, especially if Whis was complaining about "making Gs play T, and Cs play G" just today?

He didn't play because Grimm had other options that he thought were better.

I'm not saying this guy is great he's probably one of the last one or two offensive lineman on the team but he did play in preseason and I thought he played well when he was in there. Of course he was playing against the other teams seconds or even guys that probably didn't make their teams roster.

Again I'm not saying hes great but Whiz and Grimm looked at a guy who is a 10 year veteran who played well in preseason and has proved that he can play in the NFL. They were thinking that if they get in a pinch they have a guy who has 10 years playing in the league and they can depend on and isn't going to lose his head if he has to come in and play.

It didn't surprise me that they kept him.

Look at it from Whiz and Grimms point of view. They think Sendlein is going to be a player and they were right, but what would have happened if they put him in there and he would have been completely overwhelmed by the situation he was in? What then?

In that event they have a 10 year vet that they know can play in a pinch. They don't have to guess they know. As it turns out Sendlein handled the pressure and makes it all the more likely that Badger may be on the way out.

Sendlein has proved himself but up until then Badger provided a safety net for the offensive line.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

IMO it's a simple explanation. They like Sendlein as the back-up C, but not sold on him as a back-up G. That makes Vincent a more logical choice over Okobi.

I think Badger's role on the team is being Grimm's extented hand on the field - a sort of coach within the players that also can fill in adequately if needed.

He could very likely end up as Grimm's assistent on the coaching staff next year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IMO it's a simple explanation. They like Sendlein as the back-up C, but not sold on him as a back-up G. That makes Vincent a more logical choice over Okobi.

I think Badger's role on the team is being Grimm's extented hand on the field - a sort of coach within the players that also can fill in adequately if needed.

He could very likely end up as Grimm's assistent on the coaching staff next year.

One thing about Badger, the guy is huge. You can't miss him on the sidelines. Looks like a pro wrestler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort