Now the Ref Deal is done

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I guess the NFL just couldnt take any risks. If another game got blown this weekend there would have been chaos

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real refs make mistakes too, but I expect the pace of the games to be far improved now that it wont take 3 minutes to sort out every damn flag and the general chaos reigning between plays should be done with.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
The real refs make mistakes too, but I expect the pace of the games to be far improved now that it wont take 3 minutes to sort out every damn flag and the general chaos reigning between plays should be done with.

Im actually curious how this will effect the games. By now the players have at least started to get used to the "lawless" NFL. I woncer if they will be able to put the breaks on all the pulling, shoving and pushing they have been able to get away with for the last 7 weeks. I also wonder if the real refs are going to feel the need to "lay down the law" to get things back in line.

A fan who cares

Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my questions now.

1) Will the real refs be back for TNF tomorrow?
2) If the real refs cannot make it to the TNF game, do you make week 4 unbalanced by letting the real refs still officiate the Sunday games?
3) Can refs be punished somehow if they blow calls?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my questions now.

1) Will the real refs be back for TNF tomorrow?
2) If the real refs cannot make it to the TNF game, do you make week 4 unbalanced by letting the real refs still officiate the Sunday games?
3) Can refs be punished somehow if they blow calls?

1 and 2) Yes, the real refs will return for TNF. According to Ed Hochuli they have been running ref courses each week during this time to keep the refs up to date on rules so there will be no need for a "refresher course" and they can start immediately.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/26/referees-deal/index.html

3) This was a major sticking point in the negotiations, I guess. Team owners are for it, but the officials are against it.

The owners are seeking new accountability by gaining the ability to pull poorly-performing refs and replace them from what would be a new pool of backup referees. Although this would expand the number of referee jobs, the officials are against it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-referees-reportedly-close-to-new-deal/#ixzz27ephTcfE

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 and 2) Yes, the real refs will return for TNF. According to Ed Hochuli they have been running ref courses each week during this time to keep the refs up to date on rules so there will be no need for a "refresher course" and they can start immediately.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/26/referees-deal/index.html

3) This was a major sticking point in the negotiations, I guess. Team owners are for it, but the officials are against it.

The owners are seeking new accountability by gaining the ability to pull poorly-performing refs and replace them from what would be a new pool of backup referees. Although this would expand the number of referee jobs, the officials are against it.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/25/nfl-referees-reportedly-close-to-new-deal/#ixzz27ephTcfE

As I understood it, the league wanted to expand referee jobs but not expand the budget to hire them. Basically, "hey, you're all taking paycuts so we can bring in guys who may replace you soon afterwards". I can understand the hesitation. I agree, they need some sort of accountability but the league's unwillingness to actually expand the payroll to hire the new refs was inane.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In the comments section:

Well we'll surely see if the union refs are biased against the Cardinals. Glad to see we're not the only ones who think NE and Pittsburgh get all the calls.