Now I'm getting a little concerned

spanky1

Reaction score
Getting rid of Bell and Tanner certainly took me by surprise, but if indeed these two gave no evidence of off season effort in terms of getting into shape, then I'll buy into Green's decision. If one looks at the June 1st DT cut and current FA list it will scare you. The cupboard is very bare of talent......even stop gap talent.

Of greater concern however is the reference to Starks not being 100%. If he can't participate in these training camps after a complete year of rehab, what are the chances of him being ready come season opener? Me no likely this thought. I hear references being made to McKenzie being on Dallas' radar screen as well as Philly's Houston's and Inadianapolis'. Apparently his agent has sent details of both GB's likely "wants" as per trade parameters and McKenzie's potential "wants" for new contract parameters to each of the 31 teams. My question.........why are we not hearing our name on this "short-list"?

Green has taken Ray Thompson aside and "read him the riot act"??????????
We know that Lavar Fisher is a potentially dubious candidate to start the season. Can we be happy with the prospect of Dansby opening up the season as a starter? Would it be rushing him a la Pace". If Thompson is a risk not to make the roster, our linebacking corps is all of a sudden no longer a position of strength.

While I'm excited about the "track team" nature of a D-Line comprised of Bryant, Dockett, King etc. I am wondering who stops the opposition's running game if these "track team" DT's fail to stop it at the point of attack. McKinnon, for all his "heart and soul", is undersized at 6'0" and 250 to handle a constant attack from the Clinton Portis' of the league. Yet no serious talk anywhere about Trotter (who would be a terrific addition as a 6'1" 260 lbs MLB).

Do we have in players such as R.Thomas, J.Darling, M.Young, I.Keyes, L.Woods and Riall Johnson, the necessary bench strength to weather the storm in the event that Thompson and or Fisher are MIA this season?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
We know that Lavar Fisher is a potentially dubious candidate to start the season. Can we be happy with the prospect of Dansby opening up the season as a starter? Would it be rushing him a la Pace". If Thompson is a risk not to make the roster, our linebacking corps is all of a sudden no longer a position of strength.

Do we have in players such as R.Thomas, J.Darling, M.Young, I.Keyes, L.Woods and Riall Johnson, the necessary bench strength to weather the storm in the event that Thompson and or Fisher are MIA this season?

This no longer is an issue. Green didnt read Thompson the riot act they just had a talk, no big deal, and Thompson will not be cut. Read this and you will understand.

http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=22473

spanky1 said:
Of greater concern however is the reference to Starks not being 100%. If he can't participate in these training camps after a complete year of rehab, what are the chances of him being ready come season opener? Me no likely this thought. I hear references being made to McKenzie being on Dallas' radar screen as well as Philly's Houston's and Inadianapolis'. Apparently his agent has sent details of both GB's likely "wants" as per trade parameters and McKenzie's potential "wants" for new contract parameters to each of the 31 teams. My question.........why are we not hearing our name on this "short-list"?

Starks will be ready come preseason. He is already running on it at full speed and said he is at about 80% right now. He was running on it at the last practices. He cant make any cuts yet or backpedal that is the issue right now. Remember it is still 2 months away until training camp and 3 1/2 months til regular season. Plenty of time to get back to 100%.

As for McKenzie that short list is reporter specualtion and not from McKenzie or his agent. His agent is being very mum on the whole situation. As for Dallas you can take them off of the list, from KFFL:

"Cowboys | No Discussions with McKenzie's Agent - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:44:51 -0700

Updating a previous report, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he did not meet with Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Green Bay Packers CB Mike McKenzie, to discuss a possible trade for his client when the two were in Jacksonville last week for the NFL's owners meetings, according to Nick Eatman of DallasCowboys.com."

spanky1 said:
While I'm excited about the "track team" nature of a D-Line comprised of Bryant, Dockett, King etc. I am wondering who stops the opposition's running game if these "track team" DT's fail to stop it at the point of attack. McKinnon, for all his "heart and soul", is undersized at 6'0" and 250 to handle a constant attack from the Clinton Portis' of the league. Yet no serious talk anywhere about Trotter (who would be a terrific addition as a 6'1" 260 lbs MLB).

I have no problem with the track team dline at all. But I do share your concern with the stoutness of the LB core. For the track dline to work the LB core has to get bigger and tougher against blockers. With Fisher no longer the SLB and Hayes/Dansby taking his place this helps to fix that problem, but McKinnon is the huge hole IMO. This is the only concern out of the ones you metioned that concern me right now.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Getting rid of Bell and Tanner certainly took me by surprise, but if indeed these two gave no evidence of off season effort in terms of getting into shape, then I'll buy into Green's decision. If one looks at the June 1st DT cut and current FA list it will scare you. The cupboard is very bare of talent......even stop gap talent.

Pace wasn't rushed he sucked cause he is not a good player. Your number 1 pick should be able to start if he doesn't suck. Look at guys like Trufant and Newman and K Williams (10 sacks) and Suggs. If Dansby doesn't suck he can play year 1

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Pace wasn't rushed he sucked cause he is not a good player. Your number 1 pick should be able to start if he doesn't suck. Look at guys like Trufant and Newman and K Williams (10 sacks) and Suggs. If Dansby doesn't suck he can play year 1

I'm not sure but didn't Pace have a pretty low Wunderlich score. That surely had some effect on his adjustment.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
earthsci said:
I'm not sure but didn't Pace have a pretty low Wunderlich score. That surely had some effect on his adjustment.
I am sure Suggs and K Williams didn't score that well on Wonderlic either.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

BLAH BLAH BLAH

WEAK!

:rolleyes:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Suggs scored a 31, obviously a big reason behind his success.

Sporting news said Pace scored a 16/32...I dont know what that means? 16 out of 32 maybe?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Suggs scored a 31, obviously a big reason behind his success.
Okay you are just baiting me and want me to get into another 30 page post to amuse you I am not falling for it, again.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Okay you are just baiting me and want me to get into another 30 page post to amuse you I am not falling for it, again.

Well the board is kinda slow right now :D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

I'd bet that you would do well on the Wunderlich. Too bad you don't play football.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Well the board is kinda slow right now :D
ROTFLMAO you guys should pay me for all the free entertainment I provided this offseason.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Vikesfan:

You do a great job taking crap from people. If you ever want to move to AZ and teach high school, let me know. It seems like you'd be perfect for the job! ;)

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I was actually considering paying you to leave.
I cannot be bought! How much did you have in mind?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

He wasn't drafted with the idea he was going to start from day 1, but KVB tore his knee up and Pace was rushed in, on the right side when many said he was more of a LDE. It was a weak draft last year there weren't a lot of guys that far down capable of starting and making an impact at DE. Even Suggs started only 1 game all year and that was due to injury.

The mistake wasn't taking Pace, the mistake was moving down too far and leaving them with a choice out of the "honey hole" so to speak.

Joe Greene was openly saying in camp last year that Pace wasn't necessarily ready to start but had to because of injury, Sullivan said ideally Bryant Johnson would be the #4 Wr while learning, he wound up playing a lot more too.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He wasn't drafted with the idea he was going to start from day 1, but KVB tore his knee up and Pace was rushed in, on the right side when many said he was more of a LDE. It was a weak draft last year there weren't a lot of guys that far down capable of starting and making an impact at DE. Even Suggs started only 1 game all year and that was due to injury.

The mistake wasn't taking Pace, the mistake was moving down too far and leaving them with a choice out of the "honey hole" so to speak.

Joe Greene was openly saying in camp last year that Pace wasn't necessarily ready to start but had to because of injury, Sullivan said ideally Bryant Johnson would be the #4 Wr while learning, he wound up playing a lot more too.
The first mistake was not taking a stud DE or even solid QB prospect or a stud OT or solid CB at #6.
The second mistake was taking a 3rd round quality player in the 1st round.
The third mistake was not taking a LB or G there who could start year 1 and will start for years to come.

If guys can't start take them in the 3rd round. BTW DG took a guy in the 3rd round who can start. And by start I mean be a productive player be it in a rotation.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Nice generalization. There's plenty of perennial Pro Bowlers who weren't ready to play as rookies, just like Pace was. Will he ever develop into one? Only time will tell.

Hey Vikefan, do think the following players suck: Keith Bulluck, Casey Hampton, Mike Vick, Marcus Stroud, Santana Moss, Chad Pennington, etc. Well according to your standards where "a guy sucks if he's a Number 1 pick and doesn't start," all these players suck and are not very good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
The first mistake was not taking a stud DE or even solid QB prospect or a stud OT or solid CB at #6.
The third mistake was not taking a LB or G there who could start year 1 and will start for years to come.

If guys can't start take them in the 3rd round. BTW DG took a guy in the 3rd round who can start. And by start I mean be a productive player be it in a rotation.

Agreed, I wanted Leftwich, if I were picking I would have taken him. In hindsight it's obvious Suggs was a better choice at 6 than moving down, I didn't think so at the time. Lots here did, I know Lex for one campaigned for Suggs, so he has earned the right to say so.

I don't consider Pace a 3rd round talent, I consider him a guy who had serious injury(broken leg) that hurt his draft status, once it healed he moved up on MOST draft boards. IF Parcells had taken him at 18 Kiper would likely have been saying "Pace fell after breaking his leg but his recent workout showed he has his speed back, this is earlier than expected but a potentially great pick for Dallas." Because it was a team with a bad rap for drafting, everyone panned it and claimed he was rated 3rd round. Fact is Pace has said 2 other teams had told him they were going to pick him in round 1 if we didn't, whether that's true or not we'll never know, but Pace said it on draft day.

I'm not convinced we should write Pace off yet, he's apparently healed from the injury that hurt him in minicamp so hopefully he can get himself back into the mix, I'm still convinced using him as Berry's backup is a mistake he should be competing for the starting LDE spot which is IMHO his natural spot.

Bobcat

Reaction score
vikesfan said:

No you got it all wrong. The first and only mistake was not firing Mac and hiswhole staff the year before the draft.

Mac with the Passion of an IDIOT!!! when it comes to being a head coach.

Allan

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've only read the last two pages, and I can't tell if this is a VikesFan "Paceisabust," "Thewunderlickmeansnothing," or "I'mtakingapolltoseeifpeoplelikeme" thread. Someone help me out.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Okay, I've only read the last two pages, and I can't tell if this is a VikesFan "Paceisabust," "Thewunderlickmeansnothing," or "I'mtakingapolltoseeifpeoplelikeme" thread. Someone help me out.

:biglaugh:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort