Not One Offensive Lineman. Why?

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Honestly this is not a good FA group period, Long is the best, but we can't pay him. Really the only guy I would consider is Bryant McKinnie, simply because he is a veteran and can mentor our younger players. Also this is a good draft for oline.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well, you can't just screen out half of the FA guards that we brought in because they don't conform to your "we only sign terrible FA guards" frame. I don't like PFF, but some people are persuaded by them.

Top OTs in free agency: Jake Long, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, Bryant McKinnie.

Top OGs in free agency: Andy Levitre, Bobbie Williams, Jake Scott.

In particular, Jake Long, Loadholt, and Smith are absolutely top free agent players. The first and last are among the top players at their position in the NFL. Levitre is a good player, but not an elite one.

I really am not on the board that we have to sign offensive linemen. I think we should draft some guards, because our guards are the weakest part of our unit, and good teams shouldn't invest financial resources in that position instead of draft resources (they're similar to corners in that way).

Agreed. Both OL and CB are very scheme dependent and can go for big moeny on the open market. It is why I am surprised CBs are getting squeezed this free agency period, and I hope the Cardinals take advantage of it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Supply and Demand...

Why no OL-----because taking over the hill OL in free agency is what got us Snyder and Colledge. We were better off with our own draftees. Unless you want to pay waaay out of line salaries to OL in free agency, you had better draft them and build that way. Good OL don't come cheap in FA. We have had enough retreads on the OL. Time to build our own.
Urban just posted on the Card website that he thought the two deepest positions in the draft were OL and S, and that (with the exception of Y Bell) this is why we stayed away from these positions in free agency

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Agreed. Both OL and CB are very scheme dependent and can go for big moeny on the open market. It is why I am surprised CBs are getting squeezed this free agency period, and I hope the Cardinals take advantage of it.

This is what I am hoping. There are some really good CB's out there to be had and alot of the money has already dried up. If we release Kolb and take that money and put into a top CB we can really help the defense.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
Jeff Backus announces retirement. RT @nfldraftscout: #Lions have bn connected 2 Eric Fisher since Senior Bowl. He's the pick at No. 5 if thr

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Free agent Olineman cost a lot of money and rarely seem to do much for their next team. I would rather fill out the other needs in free agency and address the Oline in the draft.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Free agent Olineman cost a lot of money and rarely seem to do much for their next team. I would rather fill out the other needs in free agency and address the Oline in the draft.
Legit (non-snarky) question - Is our putrid record bringing in FA offensive linemen due to the fact that most FA offensive linemen underachieve in general? Or is it because our staff sucks at evaluating FA offensive linemen?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legit (non-snarky) question - Is our putrid record bringing in FA offensive linemen due to the fact that most FA offensive linemen underachieve in general? Or is it because our staff sucks at evaluating FA offensive linemen?

i think it sucks at evaulating FA offensive linemen period. The guys we brought in were really questionable signings up front that didn't make much sense IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There tend to be 3 options when it comes to free agent OLineman. 1) Players like Jake Long who are good, but are going to cost a ton of money. 2) Players that are mediocre, but get paid like a starter anyways (College). 3) Players that are really bad that still cost a lot more than bringing in a rookie (Snyder).

This doesn't hold true to all positions, but it is almost always this way for Olineman.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There tend to be 3 options when it comes to free agent OLineman. 1) Players like Jake Long who are good, but are going to cost a ton of money. 2) Players that are mediocre, but get paid like a starter anyways (College). 3) Players that are really bad that still cost a lot more than bringing in a rookie (Snyder).

This doesn't hold true to all positions, but it is almost always this way for Olineman.

4) The washed-up former Pro Bowlers willing to take a reasonable deal because they aren't ready to hang up the cleats. (Faneca)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you can't just screen out half of the FA guards that we brought in because they don't conform to your "we only sign terrible FA guards" frame. I don't like PFF, but some people are persuaded by them.

Top OTs in free agency: Jake Long, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, Bryant McKinnie.

Top OGs in free agency: Andy Levitre, Bobbie Williams, Jake Scott.

In particular, Jake Long, Loadholt, and Smith are absolutely top free agent players. The first and last are among the top players at their position in the NFL. Levitre is a good player, but not an elite one.

I really am not on the board that we have to sign offensive linemen. I think we should draft some guards, because our guards are the weakest part of our unit, and good teams shouldn't invest financial resources in that position instead of draft resources (they're similar to corners in that way).

The draft has some good choices at OG with Warmack,Cooper,Warford,Pugh.Thorton and others.I would hope cards can find someone early.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

Pete Kendall was okay. The problem was the Cards paid him to be better than okay.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Funny how there constant berating of the "staff" and their talent evaluation...THIS IS A NEW STAFF...take friggin breath!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well if three OLmen and Geno go before us that's just almost crazy (occurrence, not position to take). Possible, but still with only 6 picks in front of us we'd need those four guys to be taken out of 6, and you still have everyone else people have been talking about, like Milliner, Floyd, Werner, Ansah, Jones, Jordan, perhaps even a Lotulelei, or from a bit back even Mingo.

So I think there's probably an equal or better chance that all three OLmen are available to us rather than none at all. That said, I think most likely Joeckel is gone and we'll have a choice of any of the following if OL is what we want; Warmack, Fisher, Cooper, Johnson.

Another possibility is that Joeckel and Fisher are gone. Which is still fine by me.

Almost always there's some WR or someone else that comes shooting up the draft boards the last week or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I agree that we should draft some but considering what we have is beyond putrid, any QB we get is going to get dead by week 4. As for who I would want to bring in here, Andre Smith would be nice. He's young and coachable. Yes he's a little chunky but I'd take him over Levi Brown right now.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
BA brought in a number of extra coaches, all said to be OL experts...i think plan is fill some holes, draft aggressively and make people work for their spot...brought in some hungry guys with some talent...Can he (they) coach them up? We will see....but there is a lot of experience and expertise that I have read good things about....putting the Glock back in the closet for now

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No doubt they are going heavy on O-line in the draft. Even more so after our FA signings. First pick will be O-line, and I don't even care if they say reaching for a guard at 7 to get Warmack.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No doubt they are going heavy on O-line in the draft. Even more so after our FA signings. First pick will be O-line, and I don't even care if they say reaching for a guard at 7 to get Warmack.

Hopefully they are committed to going heavy on o-line early, rather than adding more athletically limited players ala Colledge, Sendlein and Snyder.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Last two free agent periods:
Levi Brown
Daryn Colledge
Adam Snyder

Last Draft:
Bobby Massie
Nate Potter
Senio Kelemete

Which worked out better when it comes to production ?

Which cost this team more money ?

How about we draft an offensive lineman in the first half of the draft and see how that goes.

No thats what the good teams like San Fran and Seattle does;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hopefully they are committed to going heavy on o-line early, rather than adding more athletically limited players ala Colledge, Sendlein and Snyder.

Where are these new offensive linemen going to play? Will the Cardinals be willing to have a $3-4 million dollar player sitting on the bench plus paying first round money, $5-7 million signing bonus maybe, to the guy replacing him?

I guess for a year it could make sense Snyder still has $3million in dead money next year and Colledge $4.5 million but dropping their salaries would be close to a wash. I think.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where are these new offensive linemen going to play? Will the Cardinals be willing to have a $3-4 million dollar player sitting on the bench plus paying first round money, $5-7 million signing bonus maybe, to the guy replacing him?

I guess for a year it could make sense Snyder still has $3million in dead money next year and Colledge $4.5 million but dropping their salaries would be close to a wash. I think.
Duck - I realize this may sound naive, but I'd guess (& certainly hope) that we keep and play the best linemen regardless of where they came from or what we paid for them.

If we base our plans going forward on covering up our past mistakes (financial or otherwise), we are doomed to fail. The only way to break the cycle is to operate on the merit system and let the wasted money fall where it may.

The way to future success lies in making good decisions as they come up now and not worrying about how someone will evaluate how you screwed up financially three years ago. Worry about winning/not CYA.

Last edited: