Nobody Asked Me..but

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
(Title is from the writings of the late great NY sportswriter Jimmy Powers)

I don't get it. Let me first say I rarely second guess the dark suits, I think KW is a good coach and is going to get even better BUT..Last year the biggest problem was the offense, yeah QB was far and away the number 1 issue but the overall play calling and execution was also miserable...and undoubtedly had a mental effect on the underachieving defense. Never a Billy Davis fan for DC...maybe someone can explain then:

Why, when as an example three guys like but not limited to Marty Shott, Jim Fassel and Chilly are sitting out there...all solid offensive guys looking for work does someone or a group of "someones" decide to play Dr. Frankenstein with another experiment in giving the OC job to Miller?? Davis had to go, but was that as important as finding a "star" OC? As far as I'm concerned Davis who was DC with SF was an experiment. Hiring from within is awfully nice if the talent is there to hire, but geez let's get real. I coined the phrase another "yes but" and the front office has a penchant for trying to rationalize stuff that really is beyond that. I can write and give examples for hours, but I think y'all get my drift. The QB situation with all three was a great example of "yes but" stuff. I would hate to think that the bad decisions can be all pinned on KW because he is going to swing if another 5-11 type year is on the horizon. Any thoughts or aside from ego's any explanation?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Any HC is going to want someone to run their system. That's why I think the OC was hired from within after he has had a few years in the system. I don't have a problem with Miller. For the DC, that area is not Whiz's expertise. If he could have gotten Butler, who was clearly the #1 choice a few years ago, then the Davis experiment would have never happened.

As for Fassel, Schott, and Childress, we don't know if any them had any interest at all in being an OC. I doubt Marty was taking any job other than a HC. Childress will still be getting paid by Minny and can wait a year for another HC opening if he wants. Fassel may have been a candidate but he was let go from his last job as OC by his buddy Billick because of differences in offensive philosophy.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Marty Shott was a defensive guy. Maybe that's because his offense liked to play defensively.

Childress is a west coast guy so he wouldn't be a great fit.

I like Fassel and he did a great job as the Cards OC back in the day. He has had trouble getting and keeping jobs so maybe he has a bad rap now.

I also believe Whiz knows that the Bidwills won't spend like JJ or Snyder etc so with finite resources he picks where and when to spend the cash. An established OC will cost more then Miller is getting this year.

I like developing our own coaching talent and hope Whiz starts his own tree.

I also agree with everything Cbus stated.

Reaction score
Prior to becoming a head coach, Marty Shottenheimer was a Defensive Co-ordinator.

Incidentally, on Wednesday it was announced that Shottenheimer is the new Head Coach and General Manager of the Virginia Destroyers, of the United Football League (UFL).

Marty Schottenheimer, sixth on the NFL's all-time coaching wins list, was named Wednesday coach/general manager of the Virginia Destroyers, a new United Football League franchise based in Virginia Beach.
He hasn't coached since being fired by San Diego after the 2006 NFL season. In 21 years as coach with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, he has a 205-139-1 record but only 5-13 in the playoffs.
The UFL will start its third season this fall. Schottenheimer, 67, is the fourth former NFL coach in the five-team league, joining Jim Fassel (Las Vegas), Jerry Glanville (Hartford) and Dennis Green (Sacramento). Joe Moglia coaches Omaha.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Marty would dress down Whiz and Graves in a nano second.

"What the hell are you doing you big stupids!"

He would run Beanie Wells till his legs fell off and than pound THT into the the softened up defense. With little change in the contnuity in the Oline, Grimm would be atop NFL assett again, Deuce, Levi and lyle would be valued and under contract.

Then Fitz would have career years anf HOF career.

"What do you expect from our defense and ST you big stupids?" the secret to gap control is to not leave gaps. It's easier when you don't have to come in 6 times a 1/4 after 3 and outs.

Mike Miller is a yes man, Whiz's staff is by far the least qualified in the NFL beyond Grimm and Spencer. If you have an opinion, or want to emphasize a fundemental, take to Whiz's open door policy, but prepare for the worse. He'll go public and ripp you and cut you to pieces.

Its not just coaches its players that avoid Whiz and Arizona.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Marty would dress down Whiz and Graves in a nano second.

"What the hell are you doing you big stupids!"

He would run Beanie Wells till his legs fell off and than pound THT into the the softened up defense. With little change in the contnuity in the Oline, Grimm would be atop NFL assett again, Deuce, Levi and lyle would be valued and under contract.

Then Fitz would have career years anf HOF career.

"What do you expect from our defense and ST you big stupids?" the secret to gap control is to not leave gaps. It's easier when you don't have to come in 6 times a 1/4 after 3 and outs.

Mike Miller is a yes man, Whiz's staff is by far the least qualified in the NFL beyond Grimm and Spencer. If you have an opinion, or want to emphasize a fundemental, take to Whiz's open door policy, but prepare for the worse. He'll go public and ripp you and cut you to pieces.

Its not just coaches its players that avoid Whiz and Arizona.

Didn't realize one could get so much inside info from tin foil and rabbit ears.

Got to give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard