No option to trade down, so would you go Will Anderson or Jalen Carter?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say the Colts trade with the Bears, which pretty much guarantees us both Will Anderson & Jalen Carter on the board with Houston most likely going after the QB the Colts didn’t take.

Who would you rather go with & why?

This is no trade-back scenario.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd go Jalen Carter. Why? Cause he is disruptive, huge, requires a double team, pushes the middle of the pocket. Plus we drafted the 2 young edge rushers that showed promise to end the season. Carter would free Sanders & Thomas up a little bit. We haven't had a guy like Carter in the middle since Dockett.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I slightly lean Anderson. Mainly because I'm worried about how much time Carter can actually stay on the field. Both are phenomenal though.

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd go Jalen Carter. Why? Cause he is disruptive, huge, requires a double team, pushes the middle of the pocket. Plus we drafted the 2 young edge rushers that showed promise to end the season. Carter would free Sanders & Thomas up a little bit. We haven't had a guy like Carter in the middle since Dockett.
You mean like All decade player Calais Campbell who we stupidly let go

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I’d draft defensive lineman in the 1st round. Second round would be an offensive lineman. I’d trade Hopkins for a high draft pick. (Would someone give a 1st for him? Doubt it.) I’d do this in every round of every draft until the Cards have the best offensive and defensive lines in the league.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anderson.

Franchise needs to go with the safer prospect. Although having Sean Payton would make me believe we'd have the structure for Carter.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Anderson. Especially if we continue with a 3-4.

Carters playing time will keep him off the field for 30 to 40% of the snaps and his technique will have to be upgraded to get him into the "always double teamed" category. Carter's physical gifts are insane. But Anderson's "get off" is Vonn Miller esque. I'd like to see him bend more but that's a nit pick at this point.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Anderson. Edge rushers have the ability to change/win a game on every pass play.

The difference between elite edge rushers and all the other edge rushers is a wide gap. Whereas the difference between elite DT’s and average DT’s is not as wide and scheme can overcome that gap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s 6’3 300lbs, so he’s not really “huge.”

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Anderson was a #1 overall caliber prospect coming into the season but the production didn’t translate for whatever reason. I didn’t watch closely enough whether he was dogging it or just not winning his matchups.

Regarding Carter I just hate the idea of taking a DT that high that isn’t flawless like Suh was. I didn’t like the idea of Quinnen Williams either who flashed more than Carter did. The metric like him but I didn’t see it besides a few twitter clips.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Carter has a lower floor but higher ceiling. Anderson a high floor, but lower ceiling

Carter may take a season or so to get to "impact" status. I feel like Anderson will do it from day 1.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter has a lower floor but higher ceiling. Anderson a high floor, but lower ceiling

Carter may take a season or so to get to "impact" status. I feel like Anderson will do it from day 1.
I am a big Carter guy, but I don't see how Anderson has a lower ceiling. If anything you have it backwards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them both but I think Anderson has the most immediate impact and is the least likely of the 2 to not pan out.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am a big Carter guy, but I don't see how Anderson has a lower ceiling. If anything you have it backwards.

my rationale for lower ceiling: Anderson wins with power and hand use and very good, but not great speed / bend around the edge

As a result, i could imagine a guy who gets 8 -10 sacks a year, but not 14-16

In fairness ... a name that just got posted that i think is a good comp: Micah Parsons. Same kinda approach to pass rush and i think we would all be thrilled if the Cards got that...

i also dont do this for a living.......

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose