Niklas with timely grab

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jimmy Graham year 1 - 31-356, 5TDs

Jimmy Graham year 2- 99-1310, 11TDs

Yeah I think we can give Niklas a year to develop, eh?

LOL

Because Niklas was taken in the 3th round of the draft due to his inexperience in playing football.

Because Niklas has such impressive athleticism and all he needs to develop is his physicality.

Because Niklas is EVER going to have a case to challenge his position designation as a TE because he lines up as a WR most of the time.

Oh wait, that isn't Troy Niklas at all.

Troy Niklas is nothing like Jimmy Graham as a player, as an athlete, and is nowhere close to being in his situation coming out of college. Not even in the same realm.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

Because Niklas was taken in the 3th round of the draft due to his inexperience in playing football.

Because Niklas has such impressive athleticism and all he needs to develop is his physicality.

Because Niklas is EVER going to have a case to challenge his position designation as a TE because he lines up as a WR most of the time.

Oh wait, that isn't Troy Niklas at all.

Troy Niklas is nothing like Jimmy Graham as a player, as an athlete, and is nowhere close to being in his situation coming out of college. Not even in the same realm.
Geez, it feels like you don't like us anymore.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
TE probably not catching much with a backup QB. Right?

It depends. Arians has stated his offense isn't designed to get any certain player the ball. My concern with Niklas is/will be predicated on snap % vs catches. I don't believe catches will ever define Niklas's value to an Arians offensive system, but his usage absolutely will. Right now, Niklas is being used less than Housler despite being drafted as an above average blocker while Housler is awful. That is concerning but there is also time for that to change.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Geez, it feels like you don't like us anymore.

Ha. I never liked you suckers.

Seriously though, that is a terrible comp. If you want to cite Gronkowski or Brent Celek or Kelce or Dewayne Allen, I am ok with that. Those players bring similar skills to what Niklas brings. But to cite Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis or Julius Thomas or Antonio Gates is ridiculous. Niklas just doesn't bring that level of athleticism.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Seriously though, that is a terrible comp. If you want to cite Gronkowski or Brent Celek or Kelce or Dewayne Allen, I am ok with that. Those players bring similar skills to what Niklas brings. But to cite Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis or Julius Thomas or Antonio Gates is ridiculous. Niklas just doesn't bring that level of athleticism.

Gronkowski year 1: 42-546, 10TD
Year 2: 90-1327, 17TD

Celek was mediocre in years 1 and 2, took off in 3.

The point is that most of the big-name tight-ends took some time to develop.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

and to this I would say, yes, it is early. My hope is that he takes away the TE2 position from Housler by the end of the year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

There was never a comparison between Niklas and Graham. He just pointed to a player that improved exponentially from year 1 to year 2. Doesn't mean anyone expects Niklas to do the things that Graham does, but that he could certainly make a big jump from year 1 to year 2.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There was never a comparison between Niklas and Graham. He just pointed to a player that improved exponentially from year 1 to year 2. Doesn't mean anyone expects Niklas to do the things that Graham does, but that he could certainly make a big jump from year 1 to year 2.

Does that mean I can cite Rodgers sitting a few years on the bench, and make a statement that Logan Thomas could do the same thing?

Come on man. "Could certainly" is a statement for wild speculation.

anks106

Registered
Reaction score
Hes a rookie whose predraft period was limited by injury and then whose training camp was limited by injury, who also came out of college a year earlier than expected. Do i think he was a reach, yes, do I think he can be judged on this year? No.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Lets just take down names now of people who see Niklas as only a blocker so we can force crow down their throats when hes the 2nd coming of Gronk next year. Watched this guy alot at ND he has the goods!

KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL AID FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

What about Housler? Alex Smith, first round pick of the Tampa Bay Bucs? Jermaine Gresham? The majority of tight ends start of mediocre and then remain that way.

Too early to tell from Niklas. I wish he were getting more snaps instead of Housler (who did make some good blocks yesterday), but let's not get that projection game running too quickly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Does that mean I can cite Rodgers sitting a few years on the bench, and make a statement that Logan Thomas could do the same thing?

Come on man. "Could certainly" is a statement for wild speculation.
Come on man...

There is plenty of precedence for players getting better from their first year to their second year and Graham is one of those players. Doesn't mean Niklas will make a jump nearly as big as Graham did or that he will definitely make a jump at all, but it isn't at all crazy to expect him to be significantly better in year 2.

Not sure why you decided to go way off topic with Aaron Rodgers. There really isn't much precedence that I can think of that suggests that QBs who spend 3 years on the bench will be good when they get their opportunity. I think a big reason for this is that most guys that are going to be good QBs will get their first opportunity well before than.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't Madden where a collection of measurable equals immediate impact and you determine who is better by simple ratings.

You judge draft picks typically by year 2 or 3. Judging them by week 2 or 3 is very short sighted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets just take down names now of people who see Niklas as only a blocker so we can force crow down their throats when hes the 2nd coming of Gronk next year. Watched this guy alot at ND he has the goods!

man, if he's the second coming of Gronk, I'll stuff myself so full of crow, I'll be crapping it out for a month!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
At that spot I wanted attaochu or kony ealy both so far have gotten high praise. Attaochu went a little before us but Ealy was there
I'd been okay with them also. Niklas will probably be a solid contributor but, unless you're getting a high end receiving threat, I think round 2 is too high. And I don't think Niklas will ever be a high end receiving threat. Actually a good comp for the career Niklas will probably have is Carlson. He was picked at #38 and is solid but not really a difference maker.

That's not necessarily a bad thing out a 2nd rounder but it seems like there were some players at more impactful positions available. But, like has been mentioned, it's very early.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd been okay with them also. Niklas will probably be a solid contributor but, unless you're getting a high end receiving threat, I think round 2 is too high. And I don't think Niklas will ever be a high end receiving threat. Actually a good comp for the career Niklas will probably have is Carlson. He was picked at #38 and is solid but not really a difference maker.

That's not necessarily a bad thing out a 2nd rounder but it seems like there were some players at more impactful positions available. But, like has been mentioned, it's very early.

We got a guy in the second round who was projected to go in the first in 2015 if he stayed in school.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok...that isn't worth a 2nd round pick, especially in a deep draft. If this is the case, Keim gets a fail. I'm not saying it is, but as a 2nd round pick, Niklas better be more than a blocking TE. Earily similar situation to Minter.

Anthony Fasano fits the mold of what you are talking about and he was worth a 2nd round pick.

I mean you want all your second rounders to be superstars, but it's just not going to happen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'm with you on Niklas. I think he's going to be an A+ blocker down the road, and a B- receiver.

He absolutely mauled people at Notre Dame as a blocker. He's going to be a beast with more seasoning under his belt.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Anthony Fasano fits the mold of what you are talking about and he was worth a 2nd round pick.

I mean you want all your second rounders to be superstars, but it's just not going to happen.

Was Anthony Fasano really worth a 2nd round pick? Dallas ended up trading him and another player for a 4th round pick after his second season as a Cowboy.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm with you on Niklas. I think he's going to be an A+ blocker down the road, and a B- receiver.

He absolutely mauled people at Notre Dame as a blocker. He's going to be a beast with more seasoning under his belt.
That's possible, and I hope that's the case, but it's also just as possible that he becomes a Jake Ballard type, who was an UDFA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard