Nick Bosa-How does he compare with Clowney and Garrett?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
PFF says Quinnen is best DT in last 5 years.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Who? Because, he is.

Todd McShay had him at #12 in his latest mock draft.

There is concern about how good he really is as a pass rusher. People want to compare him to Aaron Donald, but he has no where near the explosiveness or production to back it up.

Ed Oliver had 13.5 sacks in his career at Houston (32 games).

Aaron Donald had 29.5 sacks in his career at Pitt (52 games). That includes two seasons with 11 sacks.

Go back and watch Donald at Pitt. He was consistently harrassing the other teams QB. You don't see that nearly as much with Oliver.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ironic that many wanted to lose games, tank if you will, and now bitch about the talent at the top of the draft.
Not really the two aren’t automatically intertwined. In a terrible season I want to cobble something of value out of it. If that’s only garnering the ability to choose whomever we want, so be it. If the talent is subpar, that sucks. But still want the #1 pick for the flexibility. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Top DTs drafted in last 4 drafts:
2018 - Vita Vea
2017 - Malik McDowell
2016 - Sheldon Rankins
2015 - Danny Shelton

Not exactly overwhelming talent.

Deforest Buckner and Leonard Williams also considered down lineman. Are people arguing that DT’s aren’t difference makers? We gave up over 20 rushing TDs this year. We basically turned every RB into Gurley

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Not really the two aren’t automatically intertwined. In a terrible season I want to cobble something of value out of it. If that’s only garnering the ability to choose whomever we want, so be it. If the talent is subpar, that sucks. But still want the #1 pick for the flexibility. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your narrative.

No need to be sorry, I have no agenda. I am sorry you felt the need to quote me when clearly there are folks in this thread bitching about getting the top pick and how it is the worst year to have that pick. So I have said many time that we'll just have to agree to disagree on rooting for our team to lose. You can do as you wish it doesn't bother me one bit. As I have stated several times, IMO the draft is a crap shoot and no guarantee of anything. Now that is actually my "narrative".

EDIT:

Actually I don't know why we're even having this discussion. We both got what we wanted, I got to root for wins, you got to root for losses and the first overall pick. We should both be happy.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Todd McShay had him at #12 in his latest mock draft.

There is concern about how good he really is as a pass rusher. People want to compare him to Aaron Donald, but he has no where near the explosiveness or production to back it up.

Ed Oliver had 13.5 sacks in his career at Houston (32 games).

Aaron Donald had 29.5 sacks in his career at Pitt (52 games). That includes two seasons with 11 sacks.

Go back and watch Donald at Pitt. He was consistently harrassing the other teams QB. You don't see that nearly as much with Oliver.
I did watch a lot of Donald at Pitt. I get that Oliver is not as polished. That doesn't mean he isn't one of the 10 best prospects in this draft. I would have to go look again, but it is tough for me to see a scenario where Oliver isn't the 2nd DT off the board, and two DTs are not taken in the top 10.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
I did watch a lot of Donald at Pitt. I get that Oliver is not as polished. That doesn't mean he isn't one of the 10 best prospects in this draft. I would have to go look again, but it is tough for me to see a scenario where Oliver isn't the 2nd DT off the board, and two DTs are not taken in the top 10.

It's not even polish that he lacks. Donald was/is a lot more explosive despite playing at a heavier weight.

They say that Ed Oliver would have to add weight to hold up as an interior pass rusher. Do you really think adding 15-20 lbs is going to make him more explosive?

I'm not trying to say that Ed Oliver isn't going to be good. I have zero doubt that he'll be an elite run defender at worst. The problem is that you don't spend top draft picks on guys who primarily stop the run.

scandalous_b

Veteran
Reaction score
Deforest Buckner and Leonard Williams also considered down lineman. Are people arguing that DT’s aren’t difference makers? We gave up over 20 rushing TDs this year. We basically turned every RB into Gurley

I don't think anybody is saying that DTs aren't difference makers. You can't measure value in binary terms like that.

Ed Oliver is seen as an elite run defender who has pass rushing upside, but lacks the consistency & production at the college level.

If given the choice between a DT with A) elite pass rush ability & average run stop ability vs. B) average pass rush ability & elite run stop ability - a team is going to choose option A every single time. That's because pass rush ability is viewed as more valuable than run stop ability.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No need to be sorry, I have no agenda. I am sorry you felt the need to quote me when clearly there are folks in this thread bitching about getting the top pick and how it is the worst year to have that pick. So I have said many time that we'll just have to agree to disagree on rooting for our team to lose. You can do as you wish it doesn't bother me one bit. As I have stated several times, IMO the draft is a crap shoot and no guarantee of anything. Now that is actually my "narrative".

EDIT:

Actually I don't know why we're even having this discussion. We both got what we wanted, I got to root for wins, you got to root for losses and the first overall pick. We should both be happy.
Good enough.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is saying that DTs aren't difference makers. You can't measure value in binary terms like that.

Ed Oliver is seen as an elite run defender who has pass rushing upside, but lacks the consistency & production at the college level.

If given the choice between a DT with A) elite pass rush ability & average run stop ability vs. B) average pass rush ability & elite run stop ability - a team is going to choose option A every single time. That's because pass rush ability is viewed as more valuable than run stop ability.

To be clear, I would be happy to have Bosa as our pick. I think him and Williams will be both be game changers at the next level. I would not consider Oliver over either of them because he has multiple question marks. He would be the lightest DT in the league, he didn't play against top level competition, he isn't advanced from a technical standpoint as the other two. This isn't to say that he can't become a great player or even better than them, but the other two prospects have a high ceiling with much less projection. Oliver just too risky for me at #1.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard