Nick Bosa-How does he compare with Clowney and Garrett?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How does Nick Bosa compare with the last 2 edge rushers (Jadaveon Clooney and Myles Garrett) who went #1 overall in 2014 and 2017? I haven’t seen Bosa play enough to make a judgement. Clowned and Garrett were considered elite, generational talents coming out of college. Is Bosa as highly rated? It would be something to pair him with Chandler. I’ve seen quite a few Quinnen Williams games and he is also really good. Just curious what everyone thinks about Bosa.

Reaction score
Let's just say - he is not his brother.

T.J. Watt is an starting OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and this season his number aren't that far off those of his older brother, J.J. Watt. Yet TJ does not have the type of impact that JJ does in Houston. I think the same applies to the Bosa brothers, but to an even greater extent. Nick Bosa's effectiveness in the NFL will not be close to that of his older brother, Chargers DE, Joey Bosa

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, you could’ve went so many ways with this.

T.J. Watt is an starting OLB for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and this season his number aren't that far off those of his older brother, J.J. Watt. Yet TJ does not have the type of impact that JJ does in Houston. I think the same applies to the Bosa brothers, but to an even greater extent. Nick Bosa's effectiveness in the NFL will not be close to that of his older brother, Chargers DE, Joey Bosa
Yet you completely go the complete opposite way. Smh.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bosa is not the talent of Garret or Clowney. Those guys are explosive athletes while Bosa is more of a technician. I'm not a fan of taking Bosa #1 overall. I do think he'd be a safe pick and has very little bust potential, sans injury.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 player no matter how good isn't going to affect this mess.

You can throw a piece of steak in a poop sandwich and it's still a poop sandwich.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not a Bosa fan...really anywhere in the draft, but definitely not #1 overall.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My concern is his injury history. He blew out his ACL in high school and missed most of his junior year with injury. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone as a clear number one stand out pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garrett & Clowney were freak athletes. Bosa is a bonafide technician. I think Bosa will easily be better than Clowney, & that’s not a knock on Clowney. Bosa is just way more advanced than Clowney was. Hell, Bosa is still more advanced than Clowney is now. Dating back to High School, Bosa has been healthy 5 & some change out of the 7 seasons. His ACL tear was very clean & was a core injury, not a ligament/achiliies tear or anything.

I can think of a lot of guys picked high in the draft that stayed healthy throughout their HS & college careers & instantly start having durability problems the second they stepped in the NFL. Hell, the guy I mentioned earlier, Clowney, is a big example.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DVontel has it right. CBus as well. Best thing about Bosa is that his rookie deal will be up as Chandler Jones deal expires. You wouldn't have to worry about two huge DE contracts at once.

My question is would I rather have a FA DT and Nick Bosa/Markus Golden OR Quinnen Williams and FA DE/Markus Golden.

Where I really get stuck is I like a bunch of the other DTs in this class. The idea of Bosa and Derrick Brown is pretty tempting.

It gets tough because we have a lot of holes to fill prior to the draft. I hope we will a bunch so we can just go get the best talent that is available. Offense or defense. We will see. If we can go into the season with a fixed offensive line and a top 10 pass rush, I think that is a recipe for success.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DVontel has it right. CBus as well. Best thing about Bosa is that his rookie deal will be up as Chandler Jones deal expires. You wouldn't have to worry about two huge DE contracts at once.

My question is would I rather have a FA DT and Nick Bosa/Markus Golden OR Quinnen Williams and FA DE/Markus Golden.

Where I really get stuck is I like a bunch of the other DTs in this class. The idea of Bosa and Derrick Brown is pretty tempting.

It gets tough because we have a lot of holes to fill prior to the draft. I hope we will a bunch so we can just go get the best talent that is available. Offense or defense. We will see. If we can go into the season with a fixed offensive line and a top 10 pass rush, I think that is a recipe for success.
Eh, Bosa shouldn’t be a replacement for Chandler, they should be like Batman & Superman until Chandler lodes the juice, which I will think happen about 4-5 years from now. I don’t think Golden will get a huge deal due to his injury/play the past 2 years. I think we should draft Bosa while still keeping Golden on like a 2 year deal. Can never have enough pass rushers.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
My best guess is he won't go 1st overall. Guys like him tend to fall once the predraft hype trains leave the station. That said, he may very well end up the most consistent pass rusher in the draft. Just don't know if the 1st overall pick is worth it. In theory, 1st overall should be safe. However, with the 1st you swing for the fences. Anyway, I fully expect us to trade down if possible.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My best guess is he won't go 1st overall. Guys like him tend to fall once the predraft hype trains leave the station. That said, he may very well end up the most consistent pass rusher in the draft. Just don't know if the 1st overall pick is worth it. In theory, 1st overall should be safe. However, with the 1st you swing for the fences. Anyway, I fully expect us to trade down if possible.
I’m curious. What do you mean “guys like him”? Overrated?

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Bosa is not the talent of Garret or Clowney. Those guys are explosive athletes while Bosa is more of a technician. I'm not a fan of taking Bosa #1 overall. I do think he'd be a safe pick and has very little bust potential, sans injury.

Ding ding and that’s from a Bucks fan.

QWill or Oliver are who we should pick

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's way wrong Nick is considered better than Joey by pretty much everybody.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
This year's draft reminds me of 2013.. It's no wonder we will get the #1 pick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Any way we can manipulate a top pick into two middle round 1sts? I'd love to get maybe DK Metcalf and Devin White in the middle of the round rather than a Chandler Jones clone at the top of the round.

The crazy haul that teams have reaped in the last few years trading out of the top spots is really what we need to consider, with so many holes.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1 player no matter how good isn't going to affect this mess.
That's kinda unfair. We're only 6 or so offensive linemen, 3 wide receivers, a couple tight ends, linebackers, defensive tackles and a competent coaching staff away from competing for third place in the division. The future is bright!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
2013 had a huge run on offensive linemen early, few skill position players and no marquee QBs.. swap out O-line for D-line and I think you get this year.. 2013 was a very bad draft.. I hope this year's turns out better, but I am skeptical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He’s very polished like Jarrett Allen was. Not a freak of nature but gets off the snap with good burst.

I think he will be a better pass rusher than Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney is incredible vs the run and cannot be moved. I think because of that he has to pick his spots and might disappear for weeks on the sack sheet. It’s hard to compare anyone to Clowney.

It’s too early to call right now with Bosa’s injury as he would’ve likely put up monster numbers. I’m interested to see Q Williams vs that elite Oklahoma OL and Kyler Murray.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose