15 thoughts - Falcons game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I think the Cardinals were winners this week.

- I want Steve Wilks gone, as I have simply lost faith in him; A blowout loss increases that likelihood.

- The Niners beat the Seahawks and by that nullified the Falcons’ win, the Redskins’ win, the Giants’ loss and Buccaneers’ loss (the four relevant teams – besides the Cards and the Niners themselves – regarding draft order), and thus made it much more likely that the Cards will end up picking #1 overall.

- The Rams lost. That’s always a win for me.

2 – For me, it’s all about the draft now. I certainly realize that I am in a much different position than all you fans who have paid thousands of dollars for tickets (trust me, I feel terrible for you), and thus you could argue that I am more free to want the Cardinals to lose the home game against the Rams, as well as the road game in Seattle. I can’t help it, though. I don’t care if they end 3-13 or 5-11.

3 - On that note, it’s not that I think it would be catastrophic to pick #2, #3 or #4, but I would really like how the national attention would be huge on the Cardinals if they do pick first. Usually I don’t care about that stuff, but in this case we are talking about more than four months of analysis’, debates, speculation and all in all spotlight on the Cardinals in both the media and the public. Yes, that happens with any team picking in the top five, and even the top ten, but it’s just different with the team that holds the first overall selection.

ESPN gives the Cards an 85% chance of getting the first pick, while the Raiders are second with 9%.

Football Outsiders give the Cardinals an 74.5% chance of getting the pick, and the Raiders a 17.5% chance.

4 – A couple of notes on the draftees: since I began to follow the draft in 2007 there has been a total of two draft prospects, that I would deem as generational talents. Andrew Luck and Jadeveon Clowney are living legends in the NCAA, and they are the only players I have ever experienced where you basically knew right when their season ended, they would get drafted first overall. Not like most people now think they know that Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams will get picked #1 overall, but like EVERYONE – fans, media, team sources, everyone – knew it was bound to happen because of how Luck and Clowney had dominated in college like very, very few had done before (and after). Both times, the media tried their best to create suspense in various ways, but there was never any doubt that any team would take them first. In fact, go back and look at the Panthers’ message board in 2011. They had been so bad the entire season that they ended with the #1 pick, and their fans were enamored with the consolation prize that was the redshirt sophomore from Stanford, Andrew Luck. When he declared that he would return to Stanford, there was mourning all over Carolina. I remember how the rumblings already started at that point about how any bad team should do everything in their power to get the #1 overall pick and Andrew Luck the year after. I guess the “Suck for Luck”-catchphrase was the start of similar phrases in the years to come, and the “Suck for Luck”-campaign was literally a thing among fans even before the season started.

My point is that scenarios like those two doesn’t happen very often, and I doubt this year is any different. At least until now no one has distanced himself from the pack as far as I know. Yes, we can talk forever about different prospects, but first, we don’t even have the full overview of who will be available, and second, things change. Every year multiple players, that no one is talking about in December, ends up getting drafted in the top 10 if not higher. Just like every year players, that many people in December are deeming future superstars ends up as disappointments drafted in the lower rounds. I am sure one of the reasons is that Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper and the likes tells us what to think of these players, and so we pretend to know something (sometimes I do it myself, so I am not just criticizing everyone else). Another reason is (and this one is certain) that the coaches have not even been included in the draft process yet. Until now, only the scouting departments has given some uncoordinated input, and when the coaches gets involved whenever their season ends, rankings will begin to look very different. Actually, I promise you that the talking heads’ evaluation are affected by what actual professional scouts, personnel people and coaches tell them, just as our opinions are affected by the talking heads, so you might say that my first point kind of collide with the second. It’s the same dynamic.

Anyway, I think the important part is that while everyone is excited about Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams or Jonah Williams, be careful. Not only can both Quinnen and Jonah Williams decide to go back to school, but there is also the possibility that all three of those players will drop in the rankings. It happens every year.

5 – I feel like Korey Cunningham has been praised a lot in his two first games, but he sure came down to earth in this one, huh? I guess there was a reason that he fell to the 7th round.

I wonder if D.J. Humphries will be around to solidify that left tackle-spot. I don’t think there is any doubt that his injury history will factor in to his next contract, but neither is there any question that average to above average left tackles is so coveted in the NFL, that teams are prepared to overpay for those players, no matter if there is a risk involved. So Humphries will definitely get paid handsomely, and I just wonder if the Cardinals are willing to pay him as a sub top left tackle.

6 – I know this is weird considering what I wrote above, but a part of me can’t help but hoping badly that the Cards beat the Rams, no matter what it would do to the offseason. I just really don’t like them. I can’t stand how the media has been in love with them for months with all their “look at Sean McVay, he is such a genius and revolutionizing the head coaching position and the entire NFL”, “the Rams is definitely Super Bowl favorites with their great and innovative play”, “the Rams and especially Les Snead is geniuses for bringing in world class veterans”. While their fans have so much conviction that their team can’t ever lose. Shut up! I would really like to bring them down to earth.

I don’t really have the same feeling toward the Seahawks. One of my best friends are a big Seahawks-fan, and I don’t like to wish bad things for him.

7 – Did you see Andy Lee punting the ball 60 yards? Wow! He’s a first team All Pro.

8 – As Steve Wilks would say: “Starts upfront! Starts upfront!” Like I would say: “Ends upfront! Ends upfront!”

9 – I thought I saw several veteran players making so-called “business decisions” throughout the game. I don’t know exactly what that is a sign of – and I guess it could be multiple different things – but every possible reason most likely includes the notion “not playing for the coaching staff”.

10 - When Mike Glennon’s name was called in the 4th quarter he MUST have thought “oh no. This is how it will end. This is how I will go. Lord, have mercy.”

11 – It has certainly taken its time, but a part of me is coming around on the idea of firing Steve Keim. Not that I think it will happen – and probably not even that I would do it myself if it was up to me (if it was up to me he had actually been fired immediately after his DUI, but I do think the context is different this time) – but neither do I want to be ignorant to the reports that he is on the hot seat.

So, I thought of Will McClay as someone I would be intrigued with in that position. McClay is currently employed with the Dallas Cowboys where he is the Vice President of Pro Personnel, but in reality is doing much more than that. He is in charge of creating their draft board, and the last couple of years he has been highly involved in various things regarding free agency, including trades, and he is coordinating the cooperation between the personnel staff and coaching staff. Now, obviously he is, in every regard, subject to the Joneses wishes and demands, but the fact remains that a lot of the credit for the Cowboys’ success with various acquisitions since 2014 goes to McClay. This March he got a contract extension, and my best guess is that he is now paid as an actual general manager in an attempt to keep him, though it is obviously very unlikely that he would ever get promoted, since that can only happen at the expense of either Jerry- or Stephen Jones. The last three years several teams have asked to interview McClay for general manager-positions, yet every time he has turned down the request. I just think that, at some point, every personnel guy in the NFL wants the chance to control their own team.

12 – I don’t really have anything to back it up, but I just really like linebacker Dennis Gardeck, and I would throw him in on defense and see what happens. I like his energy and motor, but I don’t know how he does in fact play on defense.

13 - “In my mind, if I'm third or fourth on the depth chart making $14.5 million to $15 million, I don't see too much future for me in Jacksonville. I'm not trying to be a journeyman by any means. But it's a business and soon as you try to forget that then it's a rude awakening for sure." That’s a quote by defensive tackle Malik Jackson. Would you go after him in free agency? I would. I think he is good, and he is only 29.

14 – There are many reasons why I am exited about the future for Josh Rosen, and one of them is his actual age. Not how long he has been in the NFL. Out of all the first- and second year quarterbacks who are starting on a team, Rosen is the second youngest, and Lamar Jackson is only one month younger. Sam Darnold is about four months older than Rosen while Josh Allen is more than a year older, and everyone else is at least two years older. Such things are often forgotten, but I think they definitely matter.

15 – The Bears clinched the NFC North this week. That means they went from worst last year to first this year. The Texans are up by two games in the AFC South with two games to go. They would also go from worst to first if they win. If the Texans do win the division it would make it 16 teams that has gone from worst to first in the last 16 seasons. I’m just saying.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My takeaways from watching the entire game

1. The Cardinals suck....really really really bad

2. The offense sucks

3. The defense sucks, but I blame them less for having to be on the field so freaking much.

4. The coaching sucks ...they have no creativity on offense or defense...they make vanilla seem exciting

5. I'd fire every coach on the team and start completely over...I'd also relook at how we got fooled SO BAD in the hiring of Wilks and Co. EVERY coach would see the door.

6. Keim - I'd honestly flip a coin ...heads he stays tails he goes. Unless Mike can pry away the GM from Baltimore (name I can't recall)

7. I'd call the Special Teams Coach for the Seattle Seahawks and give him a shot...if nothing else steal what he has to say re: Special teams coaching, because that group year after year after year isn't good....na' there GREAT! He's doing it right

8. Get the feelers out for coaches who are up and comers that are inventors....like the Rams coach Sean McV.

9. There isn't much on the team I would keep. I'd look at a total rehaul and consider what value PP, DJ and Jones have. While I'd love to keep them....they have no value on a team that's got 3 wins and headed nowhere. If you can get great value in return...make the deals.

10. They need to buy a subscription to Pro Football Focus...as every offseason Keim gets players that rank HORRIBLE on PPF and they come to AZ and they play EXACTLY as their stats had stated they'd play....but Keim goes off how they played 4 years ago and the name they once had. It wouldn't cost the team much.

11. I'd tell the team we are not going to the combine aka the underwear olympics and just get the medical(s). The interviews are worthless as their agents have canned the answers air tight. WAY WAY WAY too often players are moved up or down draft boards based on the combine and the stats are pretty, but come Sunday's....they still can't do the job. I can name 25 players who were moved up and drafted higher because of the combine, but stunk come game day...I wonder why. If you can't do the job at a high level on Saturday's ....you can't and won't do it well on Sunday's.

12. I'd be embarrassed at how bad I've insulted my fan base and the city running a business that should be respected. People have paid hard earned money for a product I sell and I do not provide that service at all....and my most loyal customers I've thrown in the swamp and they deserve better. This looks and smells like the years of Bill B's ownership.

13. I'd go back and read this every day

Mike OWES AZ a better product. They're public funds that paid for the stadium, season ticket holders and more that deserve a much better product that what he's provided. If this was any other business he'd be highly concerned about closing, but because he's a part of the NFL...he gets paid NO MATTER WHAT....and that's what stinks! Owners don't necessarily have the motivation to WIN when they get paid no matter what in the division of NFL assets.

The idea that you can't or shouldn't switch teams is ridiculous!!!! I thought it would be strange to switch from the Cards to the Chargers....nope. In fact it was a relief to get out of the swamp I felt I was standing in....looking at another 6 years of rebuilding. I'll always like the Cards and cheer for them, but I'm SOOOOOO Glad I'm done having them as 'my' team. Find another team boys and girls....you'll thank me later...actually you'll thank yourself later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
6. Keim - I'd honestly flip a coin ...heads he stays tails he goes. Unless Mike can pry away the GM from Baltimore (name I can't recall)

He can’t, ARZCardinals. I can promise you that. Eric DaCosta has been the heir to Ozzie Newsome for years, and now that Newsome is stepping down, it’s DaCosta’s turn.

7. I'd call the Special Teams Coach for the Seattle Seahawks and give him a shot...if nothing else steal what he has to say re: Special teams coaching, because that group year after year after year isn't good....na' there GREAT! He's doing it right

I think you have to let a potential new head coach pick his coaching staff without any complaints.

9. There isn't much on the team I would keep. I'd look at a total rehaul and consider what value PP, DJ and Jones have. While I'd love to keep them....they have no value on a team that's got 3 wins and headed nowhere. If you can get great value in return...make the deals.

No, they don’t, but the idea is not to field a bad team. The idea is to be good, and those three are a major part of that.

10. They need to buy a subscription to Pro Football Focus...as every offseason Keim gets players that rank HORRIBLE on PPF and they come to AZ and they play EXACTLY as their stats had stated they'd play....but Keim goes off how they played 4 years ago and the name they once had. It wouldn't cost the team much.

Pro Football Focus is a metrics-service run by amateur fans. They don’t know what the teams are planning on doing at each play, and they don’t know what specific players usually does on any given play, simply because they are, as I said, fans. They are not trained in watching film or even small football details in general.

Since they graded Levi Brown and Brandon Keith out as two of the best tackles in the NFL, I haven’t cared to read any of their stuff.

11. I'd tell the team we are not going to the combine aka the underwear olympics and just get the medical(s). The interviews are worthless as their agents have canned the answers air tight. WAY WAY WAY too often players are moved up or down draft boards based on the combine and the stats are pretty, but come Sunday's....they still can't do the job. I can name 25 players who were moved up and drafted higher because of the combine, but stunk come game day...I wonder why. If you can't do the job at a high level on Saturday's ....you can't and won't do it well on Sunday's.

Many teams do that. It’s why the Combine is there. I feel like many Cardinals fans look at their own team and make judgements based on that alone without checking what the rest of the league does. I am certainly not one to judge whether that approach is right or wrong, but my own view is that it gives an incorrect picture of what happens with a team. I think it’s pointless to discuss a team’s actions without knowing what does work and what does not work in the NFL.

By the way, I am not shooting at you specifically. As I said, I feel like many fans does it.

The idea that you can't or shouldn't switch teams is ridiculous!!!! I thought it would be strange to switch from the Cards to the Chargers....nope. In fact it was a relief to get out of the swamp I felt I was standing in....looking at another 6 years of rebuilding. I'll always like the Cards and cheer for them, but I'm SOOOOOO Glad I'm done having them as 'my' team. Find another team boys and girls....you'll thank me later...actually you'll thank yourself later.

I could never do that. I am happy for you that you found the joy with the NFL again, but for me, whenever I have a favorite team, I am with them all the way.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
A few thoughts I have after re-watching the game. Oday Oboushi and Joe Barksdale are worth keeping as backups next year. Our center is okay and should only get better each year. At least Mason Cole can stay healthy. Everybody else they trotted out there can go. I want our second round pick to be either an offensive linemen or a WR. We have got to do something to upgrade those positions.

Reddick is finally looking like a decent linebacker. He still has a ways to go, but it looks like the light is coming on for him and I think next season will be his breakout year.

I pray Fitz stays for another year or two because we have only him and Kirk. The rest can go. We need to sign two free agent wide receivers and draft one in the top four rounds.

We need to sign two tight ends next year. Gresham needs to take a huge pay cut or just cut him.

We need to draft one of the top three defensive linemen in this draft. Right now I'm leaning towards Ed Oliver. He plays like an Aaron Donald clone.

Although I like Josh Bynes and Jeremy Cash I want them as our backups next year. We have to go out and spend the money on one real top-notch linebacker in free agency. Reddick was the only LB we had that played worth anything against Atlanta.

Now we have Brandon Williams back out there. I actually prefer him to play the rest of the season. If he shows that he can actually play then great. If not then send him packing this off-season. We really need a number two CB. If for some reason we trade down out of the top three picks then I wouldn't mind us drafting one of the top two cornerbacks coming out this year. I do like the name Greedy and he is from LSU which seems like our favorite place to draft defensive backs.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 – I think the Cardinals were winners this week.

- I want Steve Wilks gone, as I have simply lost faith in him; A blowout loss increases that likelihood.

- The Niners beat the Seahawks and by that nullified the Falcons’ win, the Redskins’ win, the Giants’ loss and Buccaneers’ loss (the four relevant teams – besides the Cards and the Niners themselves – regarding draft order), and thus made it much more likely that the Cards will end up picking #1 overall.

- The Rams lost. That’s always a win for me.

2 – For me, it’s all about the draft now. I certainly realize that I am in a much different position than all you fans who have paid thousands of dollars for tickets (trust me, I feel terrible for you), and thus you could argue that I am more free to want the Cardinals to lose the home game against the Rams, as well as the road game in Seattle. I can’t help it, though. I don’t care if they end 3-13 or 5-11.

3 - On that note, it’s not that I think it would be catastrophic to pick #2, #3 or #4, but I would really like how the national attention would be huge on the Cardinals if they do pick first. Usually I don’t care about that stuff, but in this case we are talking about more than four months of analysis’, debates, speculation and all in all spotlight on the Cardinals in both the media and the public. Yes, that happens with any team picking in the top five, and even the top ten, but it’s just different with the team that holds the first overall selection.

ESPN gives the Cards an 85% chance of getting the first pick, while the Raiders are second with 9%.

Football Outsiders give the Cardinals an 74.5% chance of getting the pick, and the Raiders a 17.5% chance.

4 – A couple of notes on the draftees: since I began to follow the draft in 2007 there has been a total of two draft prospects, that I would deem as generational talents. Andrew Luck and Jadeveon Clowney are living legends in the NCAA, and they are the only players I have ever experienced where you basically knew right when their season ended, they would get drafted first overall. Not like most people now think they know that Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams will get picked #1 overall, but like EVERYONE – fans, media, team sources, everyone – knew it was bound to happen because of how Luck and Clowney had dominated in college like very, very few had done before (and after). Both times, the media tried their best to create suspense in various ways, but there was never any doubt that any team would take them first. In fact, go back and look at the Panthers’ message board in 2011. They had been so bad the entire season that they ended with the #1 pick, and their fans were enamored with the consolation prize that was the redshirt sophomore from Stanford, Andrew Luck. When he declared that he would return to Stanford, there was mourning all over Carolina. I remember how the rumblings already started at that point about how any bad team should do everything in their power to get the #1 overall pick and Andrew Luck the year after. I guess the “Suck for Luck”-catchphrase was the start of similar phrases in the years to come, and the “Suck for Luck”-campaign was literally a thing among fans even before the season started.

My point is that scenarios like those two doesn’t happen very often, and I doubt this year is any different. At least until now no one has distanced himself from the pack as far as I know. Yes, we can talk forever about different prospects, but first, we don’t even have the full overview of who will be available, and second, things change. Every year multiple players, that no one is talking about in December, ends up getting drafted in the top 10 if not higher. Just like every year players, that many people in December are deeming future superstars ends up as disappointments drafted in the lower rounds. I am sure one of the reasons is that Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper and the likes tells us what to think of these players, and so we pretend to know something (sometimes I do it myself, so I am not just criticizing everyone else). Another reason is (and this one is certain) that the coaches have not even been included in the draft process yet. Until now, only the scouting departments has given some uncoordinated input, and when the coaches gets involved whenever their season ends, rankings will begin to look very different. Actually, I promise you that the talking heads’ evaluation are affected by what actual professional scouts, personnel people and coaches tell them, just as our opinions are affected by the talking heads, so you might say that my first point kind of collide with the second. It’s the same dynamic.

Anyway, I think the important part is that while everyone is excited about Nick Bosa, Quinnen Williams or Jonah Williams, be careful. Not only can both Quinnen and Jonah Williams decide to go back to school, but there is also the possibility that all three of those players will drop in the rankings. It happens every year.

5 – I feel like Korey Cunningham has been praised a lot in his two first games, but he sure came down to earth in this one, huh? I guess there was a reason that he fell to the 7th round.

I wonder if D.J. Humphries will be around to solidify that left tackle-spot. I don’t think there is any doubt that his injury history will factor in to his next contract, but neither is there any question that average to above average left tackles is so coveted in the NFL, that teams are prepared to overpay for those players, no matter if there is a risk involved. So Humphries will definitely get paid handsomely, and I just wonder if the Cardinals are willing to pay him as a sub top left tackle.

6 – I know this is weird considering what I wrote above, but a part of me can’t help but hoping badly that the Cards beat the Rams, no matter what it would do to the offseason. I just really don’t like them. I can’t stand how the media has been in love with them for months with all their “look at Sean McVay, he is such a genius and revolutionizing the head coaching position and the entire NFL”, “the Rams is definitely Super Bowl favorites with their great and innovative play”, “the Rams and especially Les Snead is geniuses for bringing in world class veterans”. While their fans have so much conviction that their team can’t ever lose. Shut up! I would really like to bring them down to earth.

I don’t really have the same feeling toward the Seahawks. One of my best friends are a big Seahawks-fan, and I don’t like to wish bad things for him.

7 – Did you see Andy Lee punting the ball 60 yards? Wow! He’s a first team All Pro.

8 – As Steve Wilks would say: “Starts upfront! Starts upfront!” Like I would say: “Ends upfront! Ends upfront!”

9 – I thought I saw several veteran players making so-called “business decisions” throughout the game. I don’t know exactly what that is a sign of – and I guess it could be multiple different things – but every possible reason most likely includes the notion “not playing for the coaching staff”.

10 - When Mike Glennon’s name was called in the 4th quarter he MUST have thought “oh no. This is how it will end. This is how I will go. Lord, have mercy.”

11 – It has certainly taken its time, but a part of me is coming around on the idea of firing Steve Keim. Not that I think it will happen – and probably not even that I would do it myself if it was up to me (if it was up to me he had actually been fired immediately after his DUI, but I do think the context is different this time) – but neither do I want to be ignorant to the reports that he is on the hot seat.

So, I thought of Will McClay as someone I would be intrigued with in that position. McClay is currently employed with the Dallas Cowboys where he is the Vice President of Pro Personnel, but in reality is doing much more than that. He is in charge of creating their draft board, and the last couple of years he has been highly involved in various things regarding free agency, including trades, and he is coordinating the cooperation between the personnel staff and coaching staff. Now, obviously he is, in every regard, subject to the Joneses wishes and demands, but the fact remains that a lot of the credit for the Cowboys’ success with various acquisitions since 2014 goes to McClay. This March he got a contract extension, and my best guess is that he is now paid as an actual general manager in an attempt to keep him, though it is obviously very unlikely that he would ever get promoted, since that can only happen at the expense of either Jerry- or Stephen Jones. The last three years several teams have asked to interview McClay for general manager-positions, yet every time he has turned down the request. I just think that, at some point, every personnel guy in the NFL wants the chance to control their own team.

12 – I don’t really have anything to back it up, but I just really like linebacker Dennis Gardeck, and I would throw him in on defense and see what happens. I like his energy and motor, but I don’t know how he does in fact play on defense.

13 - “In my mind, if I'm third or fourth on the depth chart making $14.5 million to $15 million, I don't see too much future for me in Jacksonville. I'm not trying to be a journeyman by any means. But it's a business and soon as you try to forget that then it's a rude awakening for sure." That’s a quote by defensive tackle Malik Jackson. Would you go after him in free agency? I would. I think he is good, and he is only 29.

14 – There are many reasons why I am exited about the future for Josh Rosen, and one of them is his actual age. Not how long he has been in the NFL. Out of all the first- and second year quarterbacks who are starting on a team, Rosen is the second youngest, and Lamar Jackson is only one month younger. Sam Darnold is about four months older than Rosen while Josh Allen is more than a year older, and everyone else is at least two years older. Such things are often forgotten, but I think they definitely matter.

15 – The Bears clinched the NFC North this week. That means they went from worst last year to first this year. The Texans are up by two games in the AFC South with two games to go. They would also go from worst to first if they win. If the Texans do win the division it would make it 16 teams that has gone from worst to first in the last 16 seasons. I’m just saying.

Gandhi, I always enjoy your 15 thoughts. They are well researched & articulately written. Thanks for taking the time during a pathetic season to still put these out there for us to read.

Reaction score

It's called being a fair weather fan. You follow a team when they are good but switch teams when they are bad. Why not wait until mid season to follow a team? Then you can see who is doing well & who isn't & then pick one of the top teams to follow the rest of the year. Smh.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a long term Cardinal fan, I have developed secondary teams that I root for. Over the years, once the Cardinals were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, I had to have a team that I could root for the rest of the way. For me, it's usually whoever is playing Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore (Ravens only. I loved the Baltimore Colts). In the early AFL/NFL (before Super Bowls), they were literally 2 different leagues. I always loved the Oakland Raiders through the Madden & even Flores years. They were so much fun to follow. Darryl Lamonica (Mad Bomber) & Kenny "Snake" Stabler just left you on the seat of your chair every week!! Today, I want as many strong AFC teams as possible, as I don't think I could live through another SB season for the Steelers. I actually root for several AFC teams (PATRIOTS, Colts (Manning era), KC, Houston, etc) just to make sure there is someone standing between the Steelers and another Vince Lombardi Trophy.

In the event that the Steelers did make it to the SB, I would want them to have the toughest matchup as possible. The only thing slightly better than the Steelers getting beat on the AFC side, was to see them actually lose the Super Bowl. I'll always have a small place in my heart for the Packers, because they beat the Steelers in the SB. I even rooted for the Cowboys the 3 times they played the Steelers in the SB. They choked away (Jackie Smith:bang::bang:) one of them, but did beat the Steelers the next time around.

This Cardinal team is another story altogether. They were unwatchable from Game 1. I am not at all embarrassed to say that once the season is a complete sham, I'm all in for making the draft become the Cardinals Super Bowl. If we do lose out & get the 1st or 2nd pick, I will spend whatever it takes to be in Nashville this year for the draft. I will take my boys & it'll be like going to a SB. All this being said, I consider myself to be a true diehard Cardinal fan. Just always looking for the BEST way to get better asap, as I'm running out of years on this earth to see a Cardinal hoisting of a Vince Lombardi Trophy.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A few thoughts I have after re-watching the game. Oday Oboushi and Joe Barksdale are worth keeping as backups next year. Our center is okay and should only get better each year. At least Mason Cole can stay healthy. Everybody else they trotted out there can go. I want our second round pick to be either an offensive linemen or a WR. We have got to do something to upgrade those positions.

Really, Aboushi? What did you see from him? I haven’t re-watched the game (that has to be a tough one?), and I didn’t notice much about him when I saw it.

Now we have Brandon Williams back out there. I actually prefer him to play the rest of the season. If he shows that he can actually play then great. If not then send him packing this off-season. We really need a number two CB. If for some reason we trade down out of the top three picks then I wouldn't mind us drafting one of the top two cornerbacks coming out this year. I do like the name Greedy and he is from LSU which seems like our favorite place to draft defensive backs.

I honestly think we could see Brandon Williams get significant playing time in the next game, and possible the next two, as David Amerson is in the concussion protocol, and Williams replaced him this weekend. I mean, I guess they could throw Quentin Rollins out there, but he has been inactive for three games straight after they signed him, and the other guy they signed at the same time, Dontae Johnson, are apparently being released as I am typing this. That would leave Leonard Johnson as the only realistic option, but he has gotten a grand total of 0 defensive snaps the last two games.

Who would have thought at the start of the season that it would actually be a realistic scenario that Brandon Williams would close out the season as the starter opposite Patrick Peterson?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, I always enjoy your 15 thoughts. They are well researched & articulately written. Thanks for taking the time during a pathetic season to still put these out there for us to read.

Thank you very much, PA! I am very happy to do these writeups, but to put a post like yours (and, fortunately for me, several others) a bit into perspective, it wouldn’t make sense for me to do it if no one cared, or for that matter that no one like it. I like every kind of response – both the positive and the negative – as it shows that people has wanted to spend the time to reflect on whatever I have written. I have no imagination that everyone is going to agree with me, but I stand by what I write, and I would very much like to discuss it with other members. Having said that, I think we all like to hear that our work is appreciated, and I am no different. Because of that, I am grateful that you would take the time to write it to me.

If I can just comment a bit in this post on your other post in this thread, I would say that I wish that your boys and you get to travel to Nashville. First and foremost for the three of you to have that experience, but also because I can certainly understand your excitement, and no one should question your fanhood for one second because of it. I think it does in fact mean something to us fans if the Cards is good enough at being bad that they can get that #1 pick, if I can put it like that. Not to seem like I know better, but I do believe it will be much more fun for all Cards fans to experience the next four to five months, should the Cards get the top pick, than to see them win one or both of the next games.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aboushi was terrible, gave up a couple of sacks and was manhandled. The rookie at LG played better.

Last edited:

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As a long term Cardinal fan, I have developed secondary teams that I root for. Over the years, once the Cardinals were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, I had to have a team that I could root for the rest of the way. For me, it's usually whoever is playing Dallas, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore (Ravens only. I loved the Baltimore Colts). In the early AFL/NFL (before Super Bowls), they were literally 2 different leagues. I always loved the Oakland Raiders through the Madden & even Flores years. They were so much fun to follow. Darryl Lamonica (Mad Bomber) & Kenny "Snake" Stabler just left you on the seat of your chair every week!! Today, I want as many strong AFC teams as possible, as I don't think I could live through another SB season for the Steelers. I actually root for several AFC teams (PATRIOTS, Colts (Manning era), KC, Houston, etc) just to make sure there is someone standing between the Steelers and another Vince Lombardi Trophy.

In the event that the Steelers did make it to the SB, I would want them to have the toughest matchup as possible. The only thing slightly better than the Steelers getting beat on the AFC side, was to see them actually lose the Super Bowl. I'll always have a small place in my heart for the Packers, because they beat the Steelers in the SB. I even rooted for the Cowboys the 3 times they played the Steelers in the SB. They choked away (Jackie Smith:bang::bang:) one of them, but did beat the Steelers the next time around.

This Cardinal team is another story altogether. They were unwatchable from Game 1. I am not at all embarrassed to say that once the season is a complete sham, I'm all in for making the draft become the Cardinals Super Bowl. If we do lose out & get the 1st or 2nd pick, I will spend whatever it takes to be in Nashville this year for the draft. I will take my boys & it'll be like going to a SB. All this being said, I consider myself to be a true diehard Cardinal fan. Just always looking for the BEST way to get better asap, as I'm running out of years on this earth to see a Cardinal hoisting of a Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Going to the Draft. Not a bad idea. Have to look into that. 4 hour drive for me to Nashville

Reaction score
Really, Aboushi? What did you see from him? I haven’t re-watched the game (that has to be a tough one?), and I didn’t notice much about him when I saw it.

I honestly think we could see Brandon Williams get significant playing time in the next game, and possible the next two, as David Amerson is in the concussion protocol, and Williams replaced him this weekend. I mean, I guess they could throw Quentin Rollins out there, but he has been inactive for three games straight after they signed him, and the other guy they signed at the same time, Dontae Johnson, are apparently being released as I am typing this. That would leave Leonard Johnson as the only realistic option, but he has gotten a grand total of 0 defensive snaps the last two games.

Who would have thought at the start of the season that it would actually be a realistic scenario that Brandon Williams would close out the season as the starter opposite Patrick Peterson?

He also had a good defensive play on Sunday as well. I had to look twice to see who it was that broke up that pass. Maybe the light is finally coming on for him. :)

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score

He showed some attitude as well as strength. He was the strongest lineman we had. He still got beat a couple of times but was nowhere near as bad as the left side. He played the best out of the five we had out there.

Not me. It would really be nice if Williams could suddenly play well and be the number two corner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson