NFL needs to change

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous. Ed Reed hits Victor Cruz with his shoulder in the chest, 15 yards. Chancellor hits Vernon Davis with his shoulder in the chest, 15 yards. this rule NEEDS to be reevaluated for the fans and to give the defense a chance.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have no idea what the rule is anymore. I thought it was leading with the helmet. Then I adjusted it to launching oneself regardless of helmet placement. Now it has become it seems a subjective call by a ref on whether he himself thinks it's too violent or whether or not a guy is defenseless in a contact sport of all things. I thought this was football, it is hard not to cause a violent collision when the players on the field are built like this. I thought the rules where meant to be made so subjective opinions could not be the basis of a call but only a clear fact deciding a penalty. Rashad Johnson had a clean hit recently where he did not lead with the helmet or launch himself and the WR did not seem defenseless as WR's go after making contact with the ball and bringing it in and yet a penalty.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Each one of those hits today were defenseless players hits. i agree with you guys, but imo each time a official sees a players head gets whipped back from a hit they will call the penalty.

Blame the former players who are sueing the league.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
it has gotten horrible to watch....I have not watched a complete game all season.....never thought the NFL would become a league of *******...led and officiated by nursemaids

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Did you see the play Carson Palmer got dinged? They called roughing the passer on Carolina. It was a horrible call. Two D-linemen hit him at the same time, one about in the stomach area and the other just below the waist. They both hit him about the same time and hit him hard, but it was as clean as a hit could be. I think they called a penalty just because Palmer was hurt on the play.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Football is a violent sport. Always has been but what these rules are doing is turning the league into Arena Football. The way the rules are, you have to allow the receiver to catch the ball because any hit on a receiver is flagged. It's crazy.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It should be a fine. And suspension when it happens enough. Not a 15 yard penalty. Or it should be the only automatically reviewed penalty. It happens so often, and the 15 yards is enough of an impact that when they blow it, which IMO is too often, it is a harsh impact on the team for making a good play

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It should be a fine. And suspension when it happens enough. Not a 15 yard penalty. Or it should be the only automatically reviewed penalty. It happens so often, and the 15 yards is enough of an impact that when they blow it, which IMO is too often, it is a harsh impact on the team for making a good play

Tell me you would pay the fine when the refs don't even know what to call...most all are called deferantly...one calls helmet to helmet, another calls defenseless player! Complete BS.

Again...The only reason this is happening is because players are sueing the league, which I also don't agree with given they know the risks.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Guys, to me it is a ploy and has absolutely NOTHING to do with player safety. The NFL feels it can market their product more if a team has a better chance of scoring points and giving the fans scoring highlights to display. WRs being allowed to catch without fear and the ability to make an extra move means more scores. A QB gets more time because defenders are hesitant to go full speed out of fear of causing a foul on the play. If they really cared about safety, they would make WRs wear thigh pads. If they really really cared about safety, they would enforce a law which would prevent Cardinal QB's from getting sacked in the end zone and causing safeties :)