NFL Europe: Charles Burton Diary

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/fanzone/columndetails.php?cid=121

NFL Europe: Charles Burton Diary

As told to Bill White…

Well I have made it down here to Tampa, Florida, after an interesting start to the trip. Houston has two different airports, and I went to the wrong one on Sunday, March 2, when I was scheduled to come to NFL Europe training camp. When I got to the airport I realized my mistake and also I knew I had to be creative because I had missed my flight. I stood standby for the next flight to Tampa and made it safely only a couple hours later than scheduled. Besides that, it was smooth.

Once I arrived to the Hilton in Tampa, I had to turn in my passport information, deal with contract and insurance issues and then go through many tests with the doctors to make sure I am fit to play football. We had an orientation on Sunday night to hear what the League expects from us and then off to bed.

On Monday I went to the Mainsail Village hotel where my team, the Rhein Fire, is staying. I met Head Coach Kuharchek and the rest of the staff and team. We had to stand and say our name and college at Monday night’s team meeting which I hadn’t done since high school. I met my roommates, fellow linebackers Jamel Smith, Courtney Ledyard and Harold Robertson, and we definitely all get along well.

Tuesday was a laid-back day with just a walk-through and meetings but Wednesday was the official first day of practice. With the Fire, we have two-a-days four times a week on average and also have a scrimmage with another team from our League once a week. Once I got out there Wednesday morning it felt great to put the pads back on. I felt rusty out there, working on my breaks and back-peddling, but it was okay on the whole. Since the defense and offensive line just arrived a couple days ago, the skill positions had a head start on us. I felt better in the afternoon practice and intercepted a pass from quarterback Nick Rolovich during our seven-on-seven drill.

So far, so good in camp. My teammates are all cool and we all have the confidence to get to the next level. We all get along and seem to know each other from somewhere, somehow. First though, we want to concentrate our efforts as a team and win the World Bowl in Scotland. Talk to you next week…

- #52 Charles Burton

Attachments

• burton.jpg
    burton.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 181

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson