Next Suns GM: Steve Kerr?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kerr played for Suns?

Kerr played in 26 games during the 88-89 season where he averaged 2.1 ppg in an average of 6 minutes a game (156 minutes). That was less than Pat Burke played this season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Kerr played in 26 games during the 88-89 season where he averaged 2.1 ppg in an average of 6 minutes a game (156 minutes). That was less than Pat Burke played this season.

Are you saying the Suns should have hired Burke to be GM instead? :shrug:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Are you saying the Suns should have hired Burke to be GM instead? :shrug:

Well, at least then he could do something useful... ;)

Seriously, I just don't see Kerr being any more qualified than any other ex-jock who has done media work. I hope it works out, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good lord, what acumen does Kerr possess to justify this? I smell Danny Ainge, Isaiah Thomas like ineptitude

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good lord, what acumen does Kerr possess to justify this? I smell Danny Ainge, Isaiah Thomas like ineptitude

Both of these guys were assistant coaches and then head coaches before becoming GM's.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They had some experience in running a team, where Kerr has not.

Okay, let me rephrase... What qualifies Kerr for this position? I get the feeling he doesn't even like the Suns players

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like D'Antoni the Coach but not D'Antoni the GM. I was really worried about this upcoming season going into the draft unprepared, possible trades and signing the right FA's (even if they are minimum type players). I hope Kerr works out as GM but only time will tell. I certainly like the idea of a full-time GM having his hands on the controls. I say give Kerr a chance in this new position before slamming him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What qualifies Kerr for this position?
One thing, at this point. He is Sarver's boy.

With Jerry out, it is now clearly the Sarver era. The question is . . . will he be an investor looking for a financial return . . . or will he be a basketball purist and bring the Suns their first ever Championship, before beginning their fifth decade of existence?

It's good, of course, that D'Antoni will no longer be wearing both hats. And that he becomes more expendable with only one title to replace, if his stubborness continues to doom the Suns in the post-season.

Oh boy, here we go again. We just don't have alot of time if Nash is the centerpiece.

On the surface, add a real Point Guard as backup and a Center who can block shots as well as play defense, and a Championship is do-able.

Let's see if Sarver's finger is just a courtside gimmick, or if he gives the finger to David Stern and wins it all despite Stern's selective adherence to the rules.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
One thing, at this point. He is Sarver's boy.

With Jerry out, it is now clearly the Sarver era. The question is . . . will he be an investor looking for a financial return . . . or will he be a basketball purist and bring the Suns their first ever Championship, before beginning their fifth decade of existence?

Hasn't that question already been answered? It's amazing how much people disregard the last 3 years and then when pushed, they equate it to the Colangelo's. There's no way he's going to get any credit from you or any other fan no matter what he does.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As long as D'Antoni isnt GM anymore, im happy

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
John Paxson had exactly one year of coaching experience five years before his hiring when the Bulls made him their GM. And I also doubt Kerr has had no say or input into personnel decisions over the past few years considering he's a partial owner of the team.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
John Paxson had exactly one year of coaching experience five years before his hiring when the Bulls made him their GM. And I also doubt Kerr has had no say or input into personnel decisions over the past few years considering he's a partial owner of the team.

You had me until the last part. :D

Realistically, the GM job is a lot more than deciding who is going to be on the team. If, as is reported on another thread by Gambo and Ash that Griffin is staying, it could be that Grif will be making the personnel decisions for a while.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Isn't he an extreme minority owner though? I don't know how much say he had at all.

I think its pretty obvious that Kerr got the job because he went to UA like Sarver, not a great reason to hire someone, especially someone with zero relevant experience.

I'm so glad Griffin is reportedly staying, otherwise I would've been extremely pissed. Hopefully Griffin can keep Kerr from trading all the Suns good players to San Antonio, or drafting junk like Mustafa Shakur.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm so glad Griffin is reportedly staying, otherwise I would've been extremely pissed. Hopefully Griffin can keep Kerr from trading all the Suns good players to San Antonio, or drafting junk like Mustafa Shakur.

And who do YOU want for the 59th pick? :p

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or drafting junk like Mustafa Shakur.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Most Wildcats fans can't stand the head case, either. As I understood it, Olson did nothing to talk Shakur out of going pro. Maybe encouraged it. A lot. Worst BB IQ for an Olson player ever.

One thing I'll say about Kerr is he really has no enemies. Not as a player, not as a broadcaster. He was an intense competitor but he always did things the right way. Coaches loved him because they never had to repeat instructions to him.

In many ways, the fact Kerr was never a great player probably bodes well for him as a GM. I think guys who have been great players have a hard time relating to players who can't touch their level.

Lastly, I've spent my entire life disliking Kerry. I'm an ASU fan and I've never been able to root for the guy. But I never hated him. Always had some respect for him because of the way he carried himself. I'll give him a chance, if only because I don't really have a choice.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I think the thing I am most hopeful about is that Kerr will be able to relate on a relative "good ole boy" level with other GMs as being a longtime player and broadcaster type rather than delivering some harsh platitudes and "awe shucks" witticisms like I imagine D'A trying to con trading partners and agents with:D Hopefully I'm wrong about D'A but I just get more of a potential snake oil salesman vibe from Kerr. Maybe his being a solid supporting player on championship teams gives him some perspective on winning as a cooperator if that makes sense... I'm grasping at straws people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson