Next Suns GM: Steve Kerr?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll admit I don't like the decision to bring in Kerr, but I'm going to hope for the best (glass half full sort of thing).

My main hope is that he does not try to prove himself with a high risk "flashy" deal. BC could afford to that kind of thing with the Raptors because that team had no where to go but up. But championship teams don't shuffle personnel very much and it takes longer for teams to jell than is usually realized.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Isn't he an extreme minority owner though? I don't know how much say he had at all.

I think its pretty obvious that Kerr got the job because he went to UA like Sarver, not a great reason to hire someone, especially someone with zero relevant experience.

I'm so glad Griffin is reportedly staying, otherwise I would've been extremely pissed. Hopefully Griffin can keep Kerr from trading all the Suns good players to San Antonio, or drafting junk like Mustafa Shakur.
You're officially paranoid. I don't recall Danny Ferry drafting any Dukies who couldn't play such as Shavlik Randoplh. Danny Ainge hasn't overhyped and drafted any BYU players. Other than Jared Jeffries how many Hoosiers has Zeke brought in over the years? And to suggest Sarver only promoted Kerr because of where he went to school is absolutely ridiculous considering just as many of the higher-ups in the Suns organization have ASU degress as Arizona degrees if not more. People like Robert Sarver don't become as wealthy and successful as they are by picking and choosing employees based on some irrelevant college rivalry. If Sarver and the Suns organization were so hell-bent on an UA-ASU pissing contest then why were they ready to draft future bust Ike Diogu in the first round two years ago?

Like I said in another thread, had Kerr gone to Wichita State this hire would not be looked down on as it has.

EDIT: And I do fully expect the Suns to continue to bring in pretty much every Sun Devil and Wildcat for private workouts as a measure of goodwill; although I'm sure you and your paranoid brethren will portray it as Sarver/Kerr UA homerism obviously neglecting the fact that the Suns have been doing it for as long as I can remember.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i was not comfortable with dantoni's gm'ing thus far.

i prefer coach d concentrate on coaching.

kerr seems well-respected and generally liked around the league.

to me this puts coach d's feet to the fire as it makes it easier to can him. i'm all for that (putting his feet to the fire, not necessarily canning him . . . yet).

it allows an individual independent of the coach to make some analysis regarding players. a coach likely always thinks he can "coach someone up" (see grimm and the whis right now with the cards' o-line), but a talent evaluator might say, "no. no matter how much coaching you provide that dude just stinks" - hopefully we'll get that from kerr and we won't end up with more marcus banks type mistakes.

put me down as "for" this move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn