News and rumors of potential coaching staff additions.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is offered up continuously as received wisdom from the mount. Who says this is the case?

If someone is presently an OC or DC, he's probably not moving, or his employer won't give permission. If he's an out-of-work OC or DC, you can be sure he's had mixed success. So, in truth, it comes down to coaches one step below as the available pool of candidates to fill OC and DC jobs, and 99% of fans have absolutely no idea who they are other than those on their favourite team and even then. I'll trust that Monti, Sears and Gannon have a pretty good list of 'up-and-comers' that aren't in any leftover bin.

Fans wanted change, and they are getting it.

Right now, I'm all-in for young, dynamic and innovative.
There is one another group too. Failed HC who goes back to coordinator. Matt Nagy is an interesting name there since he's not an OC currently. Probably not a good fit for us, but I'm surprised his name didn't pop up this offseason for other OC spots.

I'd prefer the up and comer over any other group mentioned.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting that Jerod Mayo's name hasn't come up yet.

Up and coming DC type candidate and Patriot pedigree.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting that Jerod Mayo's name hasn't come up yet.

Up and coming DC type candidate and Patriot pedigree.

Mayo's got defensive play calling duties at the Pats and is basically the DC. They haven't had anyone with a DC title there since 2018. No idea why.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is anyone on Gannon's staff going to be older, more experienced? I think he could use some coaches like that but most of the potential coaches we're hearing about are on the young, not that experienced side.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is anyone on Gannon's staff going to be older, more experienced? I think he could use some coaches like that but most of the potential coaches we're hearing about are on the young, not that experienced side.

Personally I'm not a fan of that.

Coaches (or teams) that bring in an old vet are basically saying "He's not ready".

Do what Sirianni did and bring in younger promising guys.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Dave Borgonzi would be a great choice for DC. The Cards have a massive investment in LBs. This guy has a great history of maximizing the potential of that group. I realize a DC needs to do considerably more than develop LBs but that would go a long way towards fixing this defense. Covington has worked with the DL & the OLBs. He’s well thought of, Borgonzi has the accomplishments.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Again why tho? What does EB actually do for the chiefs? I have yet to see a definitive answer.

Call it a hunch - he has been in one of the most explosive offenses, with one of the best offensive minds, and best QB's. Just being in the room for all of that makes you smarter. He is also part of game planning and has a call sheet for every game. Just feels like the dude should be prepared to succeed as an OC.

He is probably more qualified than many other people who get shots at OC for the first time or HC for that matter.

I am not in on EB for HC but OC...yes.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Walters has a lot of experience as an OC in college. Of all the guys requested he might be the only one to call plays.

Was OC at UCF and Nebraska.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Is this our former 6th round pick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson