News and rumors of potential coaching staff additions.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't most new hires already have a staffing game plan in their back pocket during the interview process? It seems most potential head coach candidates have a short list of coordinators they have already talked with about coming on board if they get a job.

Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't most new hires already have a staffing game plan in their back pocket during the interview process? It seems most potential head coach candidates have a short list of coordinators they have already talked with about coming on board if they get a job.

Maybe a couple of guys they know already but you can't really do much. For one, you already have a job somewhere else that you need to do. And you can't really phone around a bunch of guys you don't know and say "Would you be interested in a possible job if I get a HC job".

I wish more coaches would take their time and hire the best guys rather than guys they happen to know from a previous job.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe a couple of guys they know already but you can't really do much. For one, you already have a job somewhere else that you need to do. And you can't really phone around a bunch of guys you don't know and say "Would you be interested in a possible job if I get a HC job".

I wish more coaches would take their time and hire the best guys rather than guys they happen to know from a previous job.
Well, since most of the good DC and OC guys have already been hired on with other teams that made their head coaching hires before us, we have all the time in the world. Just like with our head coach selection, we are basically picking through the left overs of what other teams didn't want.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, since most of the good DC and OC guys have already been hired on with other teams that made their head coaching hires before us, we have all the time in the world. Just like with our head coach selection, we are basically picking through the left overs of what other teams didn't want.

Honestly don't think anyone has been hired that I feel we missed out on.

Maybe Ejiro at a push. Who else?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it's easy to look at these names and ask why we would hire an inexperienced name.

But in 2018 Nick Sirianni was the 35 year old Chargers WR coach before becoming Colts OC. In 2019 Steichen was a QB coach.

Whoever it is will be Gannon's hire and I feel confident he's at least going to choose someone with the right character.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This is offered up continuously as received wisdom from the mount. Who says this is the case?

If someone is presently an OC or DC, he's probably not moving, or his employer won't give permission. If he's an out-of-work OC or DC, you can be sure he's had mixed success. So, in truth, it comes down to coaches one step below as the available pool of candidates to fill OC and DC jobs, and 99% of fans have absolutely no idea who they are other than those on their favourite team and even then. I'll trust that Monti, Sears and Gannon have a pretty good list of 'up-and-comers' that aren't in any leftover bin.

Fans wanted change, and they are getting it.

Right now, I'm all-in for young, dynamic and innovative.

Last edited: