Nets @ Suns 11-6- 18

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This offense isn't designed to run through the low post like it's 1998. Your not going to see him calling for it on the block because that's not what he's asked to do.

we should be delighted to have drafted a 1998 center in 2018
and he should be asked to call for it on the block
and we should have at least one pg on the team that can get it to him there

after the Nets game, i'm convinced Koko was an assistant coach forever for a reason -- until Sarver sniffed a discount

i agree there are parts of Ayton's game that is embarrassing
i don't mind him taking open outside shots and missing them
they are in his range. he just needs to stop rushing it
take a dribble or two when there's 10 feet between his defender
the coach should be telling him these things

i mind the predictability of him standing at the top of the key every game, taking a short pass from the ball-handler and passing it right back without even looking at the basket
what kind of coach allows that in their offense?

it's obvious opposing coaches know exactly how we're using Ayton
and how we're not using Ayton
and can easily contain him and the entire team in the process

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Ayton about the game that is encouraging, if he actually sticks with it. I want to see him be more assertive. He needs to be for us to win.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you're not troubled by his lack of assertiveness, then you're lying to yourself.

i am troubled by his lack of assertiveness.
but i'd still take him over Doncic because i believe what he is lacking, a good coach can bring out in him

i think we're already seeing Doncic at 80% capacity
but we're seeing Ayton at 60%

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think he could been used better by the Suns than he was. He was largely a bench warmer. In Brooklyn he's playing 30+ minutes a game

He's playing 25 minutes per game for Brooklyn this year. Again, you're making things up out of thin air in order to advance some bizarre narrative that Dudley's failure with the Suns was someone else's fault besides his own.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand every team needs a veteran presence of some sort, but all of our signings were down right abysmal.

Ryan Anderson is a negative presence whatever way you look at it, Ariza is way overpriced for what he brings to the table (especially with his lacking effort lately), and signing Crawford is just as baffling now as it was the first day. It's like these front office people get so stuck in their advanced statistics and projections that they forget to actually watch basketball and understand what this team needs and doesn't need.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I know Bender has been bad but how can he be any worse than Anderson? Or worse than almost anyone else in a Suns uniform.

It surely would not hurt our win column if we gave him some minutes.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i am troubled by his lack of assertiveness.
but i'd still take him over Doncic because i believe what he is lacking, a good coach can bring out in him

i think we're already seeing Doncic at 80% capacity
but we're seeing Ayton at 60%

With Ayton's disposition, I'm not sure that extra 40% ever gets unlocked. Give me the guy who's already shown it, namely Doncic.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The rest of his team sucks. He's a great player and playmaker. Playmakers average more turnovers trying to make plays. What excuse do we have for all our turnovers? The Mavs won tonight in a blowout with him putting up 23, 6, and 3. He's a winner. He's won on every team he's been on. Would you rather watch losses with ayton putting up numbers that dont contribute to wins?

Doncic is averaging more turnovers than assists.

At this point Ayton is a better passer than Doncic, period.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The rest of his team sucks. He's a great player and playmaker. Playmakers average more turnovers trying to make plays. What excuse do we have for all our turnovers? The Mavs won tonight in a blowout with him putting up 23, 6, and 3. He's a winner. He's won on every team he's been on. Would you rather watch losses with ayton putting up numbers that dont contribute to wins?

The Mavs have basically the same record as us without a rookie headcoach and playing the easiest schedule in the league so far while we had one of the toughest.

Saying Doncic won on every team he has been on is a joke. He has been on Real Madrid, Real Madrid has a .750 record every season regardless of Doncic.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Glad to read Aytons response to that game. He will have bad games but his lack of aggressiveness is worrisome. It seems as if Ayton is being misused. He is often in bad position and looks to pass way to often.

How much of the turnover problem and atrocious defense do you guys think is attributed to the scheme/coaching.

With so many poor defenders and no PG, running a scheme that relies on so much passing causes way to many turnovers and thus a lay up drill for the other team. Ayton in particular needs to stop looking to pass first.

Any stat gurus out there have a way to determine what our record would be if our points off turnovers were in line with the league average.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Bender has been bad but how can he be any worse than Anderson? Or worse than almost anyone else in a Suns uniform.

It surely would not hurt our win column if we gave him some minutes.

Saw this on Reddit, your post definitely warrants it as a response. I'm no fan of Anderson but I think Ariza's minutes have been more questionable. He's been garbage on both ends of the floor but he continues to be one of top players in minutes played. I'd love to see his minutes go to Bridges, almost entirely. I would rather see Jackson try and get it together than watch Ariza just go through the motions out there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol... just no

Ariza is fine.

Watch a game, seriously. How many minutes have you seen the Suns play this year? You can't see how stagnant the offense is by looking at a box score. You can't judge a players effort either. When was the last time you watched even a full quarter of the Suns? Ariza has been awful, right there with Anderson. I think Anderson might be putting in more effort though.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Watch a game, seriously. How many minutes have you seen the Suns play this year? You can't see how stagnant the offense is by looking at a box score. You can't judge a players effort either. When was the last time you watched even a full quarter of the Suns? Ariza has been awful, right there with Anderson. I think Anderson might be putting in more effort though.

Asking people to watch a game when you claim that Ryan Anderson has been better than Ariza is a freaking joke.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Asking people to watch a game when you claim that Ryan Anderson has been better than Ariza is a ******* joke.

Commenting on a players effort when you don't even watch basketball games if a joke. Why do you pretend to follow the NBA when you don't actually watch games?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza needs less minutes to more effective. I haven't looked but I'm guessing he's tops in minutes on our team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are a team floating aimlessly without a rudder. It's hard to see them improving much even with Ayton and Booker playing better.

Ayton and Booker are the rudder. Our success is dependent on these two right now. if Ayton can stop being passive, and if Booker steps up his defense and makes better decision then we can move up. Other than that I don't see anyone else on this team who can elevate us to being a winning team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Anderson - 22 mins, 0 pts, 2 boards, 2 assists and 2 turnovers... Awesome... [emoji35]

I never liked Bender but at this point swap in a more athletic and defensive player for Anderson.

TJ played 13 minutes, delivered a scoreless 0 for 5 and grabbed 3 boards.

TJ didn't look right last night. Maybe the back is still lingering. He was our second best scorer last year, got banged up the grizzlies game and hosed by the refs. He'll bounce back, he's been one of our more consistent players.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I never liked Bender but at this point swap in a more athletic and defensive player for Anderson.

TJ didn't look right last night. Maybe the back is still lingering. He was our second best scorer last year, got banged up the grizzlies game and hosed by the refs. He'll bounce back, he's been one of our more consistent players.

Is Bender really worse than Anderson?

At least he’s young. Do either one of them deserve minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Josh Jackson... 7 mins. He looks lost. Like, totally in need of hitting the reset button and starting over!
What a bummer...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton and Booker are the rudder. Our success is dependent on these two right now. if Ayton can stop being passive, and if Booker steps up his defense and makes better decision then we can move up. Other than that I don't see anyone else on this team who can elevate us to being a winning team.

The Suns are devoid of chemistry. The players are not holding each other accountable.

From ESPN:

Suns first-year coach Igor Kokoskov admitted that the team's "focus wasn't there, body language wasn't there" in Tuesday's loss, saying he is trying to mesh the new mix of veterans with young stars like Booker and Ayton.

"We need each other," Kokoskov said.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ove-chemistry-embarrassing-loss-brooklyn-nets