NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s definitely not a pg. he’s a wing. Primarily backup 2 guard.

Even so, for a lottery first round pick I hope for more. However, if Kennard can create his own shot this is a huge plus. Suns don't have many of those. If he can pass, Booker and Kennard might be able to play well together.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I actually like Kennard as a player, but our playoff odds are extremely slim at this point and injuries have a lot to do with our issues... I don't see how we can rationalize giving up our pick for another injured player.

It had better have some real protection on it, like... top 10 protected for several seasons.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, I actually like Kennard as a player, but our playoff odds are extremely slim at this point and injuries have a lot to do with our issues... I don't see how we can rationalize giving up our pick for another injured player.

It had better have some real protection on it, like... top 10 protected for several seasons.

If it is top10, it is killing, because we probably will lose a late lottery pick this year.

I do not think that Kennard has that kind of value.

I think the expected protection from Suns' side start at lottery and I probably would make it even higher.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it is top10, it is killing, because we probably will lose a late lottery pick this year.

I do not think that Kennard has that kind of value.

I think the expected protection from Suns' side start at lottery and I probably would make it even higher.

It is a bit of a double edge sword. I would prefer top 10 because this draft class looks really lousy right now. I would rather lose a pick between 11-14 in this year's draft rather than something next season with weaker protection.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read a few articles that said the Pistons are looking for a future 1st in a deal for Kennard and floated the idea of it being a pick down the line rather than this year, none of them were credible enough sources to post here and really run with the idea. If Detroit were willing to do a future 1st, allowing the Suns to put lottery protection on the pick for the next 2-3 years, then I'd be all for the trade. I think Kennard would provide depth at a position of need and help us make the playoffs next year. Our starting 5 would look the same, only with a free agent at PF. Saric might be kept as a backup, if the price is reasonable, and then we'd have an 9-10 man rotation of legit NBA players.

Starters - Rubio, Booker, Oubre, FA, Ayton
Bench - Jerome, Kennard, Bridges, Cam, Kaminsky or Saric

I think if they plan on letting Saric walk then they'll pick up Kaminsky's option. He's not ideal but he is a decent backup PF and 3rd Center.

I know Jerome and Cam aren't polished now but after an offseason with the coaching staff, we should see more from them. They'll actually be able to take part in our Summer League activities, which might help some. They can be 8th or 9th men in a rotation now so they should be capable of providing 15-20 minutes of decent playing time next season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Kennard can play beside Booker, this raises his value. Possibly grooming him for the future to play point guard when Rubio's contract expires.

The knees are a reason for concern.

He can't play point guard any more than Tyler Johnson. In fact, he IS a frailer, less athletic version of Tyler Johnson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only speculating but Kennard might explode at PG/SG like Brogdon did after he was traded to the Pacers.

In case you missed it, Brogdon was pretty darn good in Milwaukee. 100 times better than Kennard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even so, for a lottery first round pick I hope for more. However, if Kennard can create his own shot this is a huge plus. Suns don't have many of those. If he can pass, Booker and Kennard might be able to play well together.

He can't. He tries, but the shot he creates for himself are very Tyler-Johnson-esque.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping we would use our first to try to pry Gordon out of Orlando :/

A trade for Aaron Gordon was what I was hoping for as well. I hope Jones is not content with the power forward position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is a bit of a double edge sword. I would prefer top 10 because this draft class looks really lousy right now. I would rather lose a pick between 11-14 in this year's draft rather than something next season with weaker protection.

And so we go a second consecutive full season without a power forward? Didn't we already try that once at the point guard position? As I recall, it didn't work out so well...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Read a few articles that said the Pistons are looking for a future 1st in a deal for Kennard and floated the idea of it being a pick down the line rather than this year, none of them were credible enough sources to post here and really run with the idea. If Detroit were willing to do a future 1st, allowing the Suns to put lottery protection on the pick for the next 2-3 years, then I'd be all for the trade. I think Kennard would provide depth at a position of need and help us make the playoffs next year. Our starting 5 would look the same, only with a free agent at PF. Saric might be kept as a backup, if the price is reasonable, and then we'd have an 9-10 man rotation of legit NBA players.

Starters - Rubio, Booker, Oubre, FA, Ayton
Bench - Jerome, Kennard, Bridges, Cam, Kaminsky or Saric

I think if they plan on letting Saric walk then they'll pick up Kaminsky's option. He's not ideal but he is a decent backup PF and 3rd Center.

I know Jerome and Cam aren't polished now but after an offseason with the coaching staff, we should see more from them. They'll actually be able to take part in our Summer League activities, which might help some. They can be 8th or 9th men in a rotation now so they should be capable of providing 15-20 minutes of decent playing time next season.

And what free agent do you propose at PF? There isn't a single worthy one in the upcoming free agent class.

I can already see Jones exacerbating this mess by throwing $20 million a year at Danilo freaking Gallinari, there solidifying this as the slowest, least athletic, softest, worst defensive, worst rebounding team in NBA history.

Someone really needs to get in management's head that there is more to basketball than shooting.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In some ways Kennard reminds me a bit of what the Suns want from Ty Jerome... passing and shooting. However, like Jerome, he will have trouble getting to the rim. The difference is that Kennard seems slightly more athletic especially with his first step.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking ahead, the Suns may have a lot of players out Wednesday due to injury. If the trade goes through, Kennard would be one more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In some ways Kennard reminds me a bit of what the Suns want from Ty Jerome... passing and shooting. However, like Jerome, he will have trouble getting to the rim. The difference is that Kennard seems slightly more athletic especially with his first step.

I wonder if he can get to the rim. He's in a system now with someone who clogs the paint more than probably any other big in the league so driving to the basket isn't something he's been able to do because of Detroit's offense in general.

Whether he can get to the basket or not, he can create his own shot and is a good shooter. I think he could end up being like what we wish Tyler Johnson was, and who he has been a couple of games as a Sun. Johnson has fallen off completely this year but he had some good games last year. Kennard is a better offensive player and doesn't seem to get tunnel vision like Tyler where he only looks to score for himself. Kennard is also a little bigger and has experience playing SF in the NBA. He's played 47% of his time at SF this year and 82% at SF last season.

Since he can create his own shot and help create for others, he should be able to play 3 positions here, PG, SG, and SF. That makes him an ideal 6th man type of player. He'll be able to sub in for virtually any start but Ayton, which is a real positive. He could be the bench help we've needed almost all season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thinking ahead, the Suns may have a lot of players out Wednesday due to injury. If the trade goes through, Kennard would be one more.

Of course that game is against Detroit as well, which makes it a little more interesting. I hope they can somehow get Christian Wood included. If they can then I'll be a much bigger fan of the trade. Wood looks like a solid backup PF, if nothing else, but he's young enough that there may be a future for him here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he can get to the rim. He's in a system now with someone who clogs the paint more than probably any other big in the league so driving to the basket isn't something he's been able to do because of Detroit's offense in general.

Whether he can get to the basket or not, he can create his own shot and is a good shooter. I think he could end up being like what we wish Tyler Johnson was, and who he has been a couple of games as a Sun. Johnson has fallen off completely this year but he had some good games last year. Kennard is a better offensive player and doesn't seem to get tunnel vision like Tyler where he only looks to score for himself. Kennard is also a little bigger and has experience playing SF in the NBA. He's played 47% of his time at SF this year and 82% at SF last season.

Since he can create his own shot and help create for others, he should be able to play 3 positions here, PG, SG, and SF. That makes him an ideal 6th man type of player. He'll be able to sub in for virtually any start but Ayton, which is a real positive. He could be the bench help we've needed almost all season.

From what I've read, Kennard is not going to be able to get to the rim. He is sort of like Jerome in that respect. It can happen but it's not something to expect.

I haven't watched Kennard a lot but I envision him as a slightly more athletic version of Jerome. That's not bad because both players have skills although Jerome is probably more limited athletically. Also as you mention, Kennard can create for himself and others. This aspect is huge.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course that game is against Detroit as well, which makes it a little more interesting. I hope they can somehow get Christian Wood included. If they can then I'll be a much bigger fan of the trade. Wood looks like a solid backup PF, if nothing else, but he's young enough that there may be a future for him here.

Yeah. I'm wondering who gets healthy for the Detroit game. It should be fun.

I saw you mention Wood earlier. His stats look good. Suns need any help they can get at power forward.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not a trade I would have thought of. I'm mostly looking to find the logic behind the trade. Another player with a history of injury is not the most exciting thing in the world.

The reason for it is Bower drafted him, and wants him on the team.

I like you am not so sure this is a great idea.

I like that he is a good shooter and we definitely need a 6th man, but his bad defense and lack of athleticism is already a weakness for the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason for it is Bower drafted him, and wants him on the team.

I like you am not so sure this is a great idea.

I like that he is a good shooter and we definitely need a 6th man, but his bad defense and lack of athleticism is already a weakness for the team.

It's sort of like the 2019 draft, I hope Jones is making the right decision. A team can only have so many non-athletic players. There may be room for a couple but the Suns already have Saric, Kaminsky, Baynes, Jerome and Cam to name a few. Of course, then there is the injury factor.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
This is an extremely uninspiring trade. I don’t see how this moves the needle at all for the Suns...especially while they’re fighting for a playoff spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an extremely uninspiring trade. I don’t see how this moves the needle at all for the Suns...especially while they’re fighting for a playoff spot.

I'm not thinking playoffs anymore with only 32 games to go and the Suns 10 games under .500. Any moves the Suns make now should be for the future.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes, that's a point, but I'm not sure at all that this draft class looks that lousy especially if you are looking for a defensive-minded and/or do everything forward/bigman because Okongwu, Stewart, Topping and Okuru all seem to be a logical fit.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'm not thinking playoffs anymore with only 32 games to go and the Suns 10 games under .500. Any moves the Suns make now should be for the future.
Only 5 GB the 8th spot, which isn’t that far out of reach. Still see the trade as a lateral move without much upside.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard