NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando is being considered as a site if the NBA decides it's safe to finish the season.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

One possible playing ground for NBA if finishing season becomes safe for league and players: Walt Disney World Resort property in Orlando, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. League has kept different scenarios in mind.

3:46 PM - 29 Apr 2020

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nets owner Joe Tsai suggests some non-playoff team owners not into restarting regular season
“The reality is everybody is still trying to figure things out with the hope that maybe we can reopen the season —the current season— because … think about this: the Los Angeles Lakers or the Milwaukee Bucks, they’re in first place when the season got suspended. There’s a chance of them going for the championship. Of course, they want to play. The players want to play. The ownership wants to play.

“Then, there are other teams, if you’re in 28th place, maybe this season isn’t that important. So there’s a difference of opinion among the owners as well.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/nets-owner-joe-tsai-suggests-113050455.html

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
NBA to allow team practice facilities to open Friday in states that are re-opening
It’s one small step on the road back to NBA games, but it’s the first step that everything else will be built on.

The NBA will allow teams in states where stay-at-home orders are lifted to open practice facilities Friday. This was expected, and not every team that can will do it, but Marc Stein of the New York Times reports the NBA is going to allow facilities to open.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-allow-team-practice-facilities-114431536.html

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
⁦‪@wojespn‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Without widespread coronavirus testing available to country, NBA remains sensitive on using tests w/ players showing no symptoms entering facilities to start workouts. If/when NBA opens camps for a formal return to play, there's an understanding testing protocols would change.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The NBA says some players can voluntarily return to their team practice facilities starting on Friday, with some very specific conditions and only in places where local and state governments have signed off on such openings.

It's unclear how many - if any - players will be back on the floor Friday when the league ban gets lifted. Miami is allowed to open its doors for the first time in six weeks but won't until at least Monday while it works out certain logistical details. Orlando isn't going to welcome players back immediately either. Same goes for Utah, the first NBA team to deal with the coronavirus after Rudy Gobert tested positive March 11 and the league shut down almost immediately. And most teams aren't allowed to open yet to because of local rules.

Basketball hasn't been played in two months and the league, the teams and the players still seem to have a universal desire to get back to work, finish this season and crown a champion. But, perhaps mindful of challenges other leagues have faced in their efforts to resume play amid a coronavirus pandemic that has shut down the sports world, the NBA seems to be moving with extreme caution.
https://sports.yahoo.com/analysis-nba-proceeding-extreme-caution-193324759--nba.html

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
⁦‪@wojespn‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Without widespread coronavirus testing available to country, NBA remains sensitive on using tests w/ players showing no symptoms entering facilities to start workouts. If/when NBA opens camps for a formal return to play, there's an understanding testing protocols would change.
My mom was pissed Barkley got tested. I told her 1. he was sick, 2. he literally comes into contact with hundreds of people, you want to know if he has it. Imagine if he had it the list of people he would have come into contact with during an incubation period!

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
CJ McCollum on facilities opening up: 'I am worried'

“I am worried like the rest of the world, but I like that it is optional and I’m pleased with the caution, structure and measures the Blazers organization has put in place to ensure the safest environment possible for all parties involved,” McCollum told Yahoo Sports. “I get the measures [the league is] taking, but you have to think at some point when there are drastic measures that need to be taken, ‘Is it really worth it?’ It’s either safe or it’s not.

“ … And let’s just be honest, man, it’s not like it will be the first time players got gym access outside of the team’s facilities. Some people have been working out, if we’re being honest.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/cj-mc-collum-on-facilities-opening-up-i-am-worried-165155175.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They should just cancel the rest of the season. You know there are some players that don't feel comfortable or safe coming back at this point plus how many are still in playing shape? LeBron already said he won't play if there are no fans in the stands. I wouldn't be willing to go to a game now if they allowed fans to attend and if for some stupid reason the NBA open the arenas to fans whether they have safeguards or precautions in place that would not absolve them from lawsuits for anyone who claims to have been infected while attending.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should just cancel the rest of the season. You know there are some players that don't feel comfortable or safe coming back at this point plus how many are still in playing shape? LeBron already said he won't play if there are no fans in the stands. I wouldn't be willing to go to a game now if they allowed fans to attend and if for some stupid reason the NBA open the arenas to fans whether they have safeguards or precautions in place that would not absolve them from lawsuits for anyone who claims to have been infected while attending.

I think it all hinges on testing and of course how the effect the coronavirus behaves this summer.

The NBA doesn't want to do testing on players and personnel before it is available for everyone. If they can play games without fans based on science, I think they will proceed with some form of playoffs.

I think the NBA wants to start the 2020-21 season in December so there might be time where they have to cancel the playoffs entirely. It's hard to see a resumption of the regular season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Medical experts are saying that we have yet to see the worst of COVID-19. It has not yet peaked!
They are the ones who should be calling the shots, not politicians or ball clubs. Even without fans
in the stands.

I would love to see pro sports come back. And go to a movie. And eat at my favorite Asian Super
Buffet (buffets will be the last place I'll go during a pandemic, damnit!)

Baseball isn't as worrisome as all of the other team sports. Just look at the cluster of players in
NBA games, where they can be anywhere on the court. Sweating and all ten potentially handling
one basketball every few minutes. Is there a more prevalent ways of spreading germs?

Sad to say that, until we have a vaccine, which could take two years, violating the 6-foot rule
after just a few months is asking for trouble big time. Picture our favorite sports stars quarantined
from their families, in hospitals, or worse.

As frustrating as it is to not to be able to to get back to normal, that is nothing compared to how
frustrating it will be to then go back to the beginning and start this cycle all over again.

World War I and World War II are parts of history that we don't want to go through and how it
disrupted society. But what we're experiencing is a pandemic spread by germs. An inanimate enemy.

Going forward, life in the United States, and all the things that have spoiled us, will not be the
same, whether you'r 8 or 80. Not just discomfort or inconvenience, but loss of life. Thousands
upon thousands.

I just went through all of the smilies to find an appropriate one. Unfortunately, there is none.
These are serious times! Right now, the game of life should be the most important game in town.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Medical experts are saying that we have yet to see the worst of COVID-19. It has not yet peaked!
They are the ones who should be calling the shots, not politicians or ball clubs. Even without fans
in the stands.

I would love to see pro sports come back. And go to a movie. And eat at my favorite Asian Super
Buffet (buffets will be the last place I'll go during a pandemic, damnit!)

Baseball isn't as worrisome as all of the other team sports. Just look at the cluster of players in
NBA games, where they can be anywhere on the court. Sweating and all ten potentially handling
one basketball every few minutes. Is there a more prevalent ways of spreading germs?

Sad to say that, until we have a vaccine, which could take two years, violating the 6-foot rule
after just a few months is asking for trouble big time. Picture our favorite sports stars quarantined
from their families, in hospitals, or worse.

As frustrating as it is to not to be able to to get back to normal, that is nothing compared to how
frustrating it will be to then go back to the beginning and start this cycle all over again.

World War I and World War II are parts of history that we don't want to go through and how it
disrupted society. But what we're experiencing is a pandemic spread by germs. An inanimate enemy.

Going forward, life in the United States, and all the things that have spoiled us, will not be the
same, whether you'r 8 or 80. Not just discomfort or inconvenience, but loss of life. Thousands
upon thousands.

I just went through all of the smilies to find an appropriate one. Unfortunately, there is none.
These are serious times! Right now, the game of life should be the most important game in town.

I agree with this.

If the nation gets to a point where our testing ability is so abundant that we can afford to test athletes on a constant basis then let them play, but it is hard to justify the health risk when the potential to spread illness is still unknown.

The league is telling teams not to test players unless they show symptoms... but these are young men in peak physical condition, one of the things we know about this disease is that a lot of people spread it while having no clue that they are carriers. If a player actually showed symptoms then who knows how many people they could infect before actually getting diagnosed.

As an aside, we are now hearing that covid may have been circulating around the globe as early as December. I also recall an unusal amount of players missing games with "flu like" symptoms during January and February. As much as more testing is needed, we also need more anti-body testing. Knowing how contagious Covid is and knowing that several NBA players tested positive during March, I have to imagine that the exposure around the league is rather high.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this.

If the nation gets to a point where our testing ability is so abundant that we can afford to test athletes on a constant basis then let them play, but it is hard to justify the health risk when the potential to spread illness is still unknown.

The league is telling teams not to test players unless they show symptoms... but these are young men in peak physical condition, one of the things we know about this disease is that a lot of people spread it while having no clue that they are carriers. If a player actually showed symptoms then who knows how many people they could infect before actually getting diagnosed.

As an aside, we are now hearing that covid may have been circulating around the globe as early as December. I also recall an unusal amount of players missing games with "flu like" symptoms during January and February. As much as more testing is needed, we also need more anti-body testing. Knowing how contagious Covid is and knowing that several NBA players tested positive during March, I have to imagine that the exposure around the league is rather high.

I think the NBA has taken this position. They need about 15,000 tests to play games. I think they can get the tests but they have chosen not to play games until they are not taking them out of the hands of anyone who needs them.

Per ESPN, Silver has insisted he can’t abide his league using a high volume tests when they are still in high demand.

So the NBA’s choices are between using tests to play games despite a remaining public need, play games without regular testing or wait until testing is available enough that acquiring 15,000 tests doesn’t take them out of the hands of people who need them. It’s hard to see the NBA choosing anything but the latter option.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-expect...o-restart-season-amid-pandemic-033746053.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like things may start happening in the NBA relatively soon. Teams will be able to give tests to players who are asymptomatic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will be guidelines.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Masks will not be taken from healthcare workers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some teams do not have the testing option.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson