NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Michele Roberts of NBPA on a player who does not feel safe returning to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Sources: On call with players today, Adam Silver told NBPA membership: 1) "It would be safer to be in a single location, or two locations, to start." 2) That the NBA doesn't have to make a decision on re-starting in season in May, nor does it have to decide right away in June.

4:23 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some players feeling pressure?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoffs may still include 7-game series.

Sources: Silver told players that he still hoped that the playoffs would include a 7-game series in every round. He told players that those series could move faster without the need for travel, staying in a single site. Orlando and Vegas still tops.

4:26 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With fans in buildings constituting 40 percent of league revenue, the NBA is working on creative ways on TV to deliver the games to audiences, Silver told players. Silver started to prepare players for possibility of no fans in arenas next year without a vaccine, sources said.

4:29 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: On the ever-elusive question -- What if a player tests positive upon return -- Adam Silver told players the NBA would hope for daily testing at that point and no stoppage of play, having the player(s) isolated in quarantine.

4:30 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver says CBA "wasn't built for an extended pandemic."

Michele Roberts asked Silver on the call about financial impact moving foward for the league and players, and Silver flatly said that the collective bargaining agreement "wasn't built for an extended pandemic." Silver called it all: "The greatest challenge" of our lifetime.

4:34 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver believes all 30 owners want to play again this season.

Silver told players that he believes each of his 30 owners wants to play again this season -- despite suggestion made to him on call of short-term financial advantages for some teams not to resume season. He called his owners, "Competitors."

4:37 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sources: Silver explained to players why the league wouldn't allow teams to use private team jets to bring players worried about commericial travel back to market for voluntary workouts. He cited trying to manage the competitive advantage among teams as one of his reasons.

4:41 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above issue might be reviewed again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was a key tweet.

It suggests it would be safer to play in one or two locations and the NBA doesn't have to make a decision on re-starting the season in May or right away in June.

Sources: On call with players today, Adam Silver told NBPA membership: 1) "It would be safer to be in a single location, or two locations, to start." 2) That the NBA doesn't have to make a decision on re-starting in season in May, nor does it have to decide right away in June.

4:23 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training camps should be a minimum of 3 weeks if season resumes.

Asked on NBPA call about how long a training camp could be should this season resume, Silver suggested "three weeks" as the minimum length that's been discussed within the league, sources said.

5:05 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adam Silver's reported message to players. This will be hard for a long time.

Broader Adam Silver message on call to players: This is going to be hard -- and hard for a long time. We need to work together. Hard choices are coming. No one will agree on everything. There are some difficult days of collective bargaining coming with grim financial realities.

5:10 PM - 8 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orlando and Las Vegas are the two bubble sites for hosting the NBA that Adam Silver mentioned.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read in The Athletic, a Christmas start date of December 25th for the 2020-21 season is gaining momentum.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I read in The Athletic, a Christmas start date of December 25th for the 2020-21 season is gaining momentum.
That sounds perfect. It's the unofficial start anyway. I love the NBA but I only pay attention to the suns before Xmas.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds perfect. It's the unofficial start anyway. I love the NBA but I only pay attention to the suns before Xmas.

Hopefully it will be our Christmas present. :cool:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll take that along with finishing this season.

I do think it might be better for one professional sports league to lead the way in reopening and since the NBA season was nearing completion, it might be better for them to do it especially since they have smaller rosters.

I have mixed feelings about completing the current season. Finishing the season and 7 game playoff series appears to be a bit of a stretch.

If they used the current standings and used an abbreviated playoff formation I might feel better.

I'd like to get the lottery, combine and draft back earlier than later.

If we can have a safe version of the NBA back, even without fans, it might be the best we can hope for.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brad Stevens on Celtics readiness to return: 'We're basically on call'
"We're basically on call," Stevens told a group of Celtics season tickets holders on a Zoom video conference call on Friday. "and so our talking point with the team has been trying to stay a week away from your best shape at all times because when we do come back, and ultimately are going to practice, we're going to have to plan those practices with our sports science group appropriately."

https://sports.yahoo.com/brad-stevens-celtics-readiness-return-185001718.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think it's a little vague. I doubt the majority of players want the season to continue but I would be surprised if less than half would be ok with cancelling everything, including the postseason.

ETA...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose