NBA SUSPENDS Regular Season

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Training camp 2.0 for teams at local facilities and resumption of play at Orlando and Las Vegas seems to be a possible plan.

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Among NBA return-to-play scenarios being discussed, league sources say, is a template calling for teams to conduct Training Camp 2.0 in their own practice facilities before heading to one or two centralized sites to resume play, with Orlando and Las Vegas still vying for games

9:28 AM - 19 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report all 30 NBA teams to participate in a coronavirus antibody study. I like the way the NBA is aggressively attacking the situation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Related to above. The NBA is looking for ways to bring basketball safely.

From The Ringer:

Mayo Clinic has developed a fingerstick test that it believes is just as accurate as a blood draw through a vein puncture at identifying people who have been exposed to coronavirus and have since developed antibodies. They are seeking to validate the fingerstick test’s accuracy, which, if successful, could be a simpler and safer way of detecting antibodies.
“It would be hugely helpful because the fingerstick blood draw could be done at home and the sample could be mailed in for testing at a lab,” Sampathkumar said. “Vast numbers of people could be tested without any need to go to the hospital or a clinic to receive a blood draw.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/20/21264742/nba-coronavirus-testing-covid-19

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The facilities manager in me says the problem isn't so much how many fans you have in the arena, although if they're there for 2 hours it's certainly an issue. It's how you operate a limited capacity event and still keep people social distancing? the logical thing to do to save money is open less bathrooms, less foodstands etc since you have far less people, but that's the exact opposite of what you do for distancing.

So you have to have the arenas at full open for food, drink, bathrooms etc so you don't get the big lines.

The other thing is how would they deal with people who own season tickets. Warriors for example all the games are sold out if you only allow 25% of the people to attend how do you find a fair way to allocate which of the people who already own tickets get to go to which games? You're going to end up having 4 groups of fans A,B, C and D and each get to attend the same number of games or something.

If it were me I'd just stick with the no fans, the NBA players from USC would feel right at home in empty arenas.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like on June 1st, the NBA will issue guidelines to start recalling players out of area.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Reporting with @ZachLowe_NBA: NBA teams are expecting the league office will issue guidelines around June 1 that will allow franchises to start recalling players who’ve left their markets to return as a first step toward a formal ramp-up for the season’s resumption.

12:24 PM - 20 May 2020

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also expand workouts for in-market players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orlando is front runner to host games when they are resumed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like NBA games could resume in July if everything goes according to plan. Orlando and Las Vegas remain potential sites for the games.

From ESPN:

The NBA is discussing a step-by-step plan for a resumption of the 2019-20 season that includes an initial two-week recall of players into team marketplaces for a period of quarantine, one to two weeks of individual workouts at team facilities and a two- to three-week formal training camp, sources told ESPN.

Barring an unforeseen turn of events, many NBA owners, executives and National Basketball Players Association elders believe commissioner Adam Silver will greenlight the return to play in June -- with games expected to resume sometime before the end of July, sources said.

---------------------------------------------------------

The NBA is still considering a two-site format for the return of the season, including Orlando's Walt Disney World and Las Vegas, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29200984/nba-teams-expecting-guidelines-june-1-players-return

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA is still considering a two-site format for the return of the season, including Orlando's Walt Disney World and Las Vegas, sources said.

I'd be in favor of that, West and East. Keep things separate until the finals. I doubt we'll see any regular season games and if we do then we won't be seeing the 15 or so that most teams have left.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be in favor of that, West and East. Keep things separate until the finals. I doubt we'll see any regular season games and if we do then we won't be seeing the 15 or so that most teams have left.

At this point I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of meaningless games. I'd rather move straight to the playoffs.

I'm not sure how much it helps playing the remaining games except for a few teams on the playoff bubble and seeding. The NBA should be able to figure that out. I'd rather move on to the playoffs, lottery, combine, draft and as soon as possible so next season gets off to a quicker start.

A big thing moving against this is teams wanting to recoup some of the money they lost by closing down the season early. I understand teams have lost millions because of it. There is a reason 30 teams will soon be working out again.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I'm not interested in seeing a bunch of meaningless games. I'd rather move straight to the playoffs.

I'm not sure how much it helps playing the remaining games except for a few teams on the playoff bubble and seeding. The NBA should be able to figure that out. I'd rather move on to the playoffs, lottery, combine, draft and as soon as possible so next season gets off to a quicker start.

A big thing moving against this is teams wanting to recoup some of the money they lost by closing down the season early. I understand teams have lost millions because of it. There is a reason 30 teams will soon be working out again.

A few warm up games would be good before the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few warm up games would be good before the playoffs.

for the playoff teams definitely... but if you're not one of the playoff teams, do you really want to go somewhere for a couple of games and risk injury or even possible death?

that said, it would be great if they figured out how to come back and playoffs started by July.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the playoff teams definitely... but if you're not one of the playoff teams, do you really want to go somewhere for a couple of games and risk injury or even possible death?

that said, it would be great if they figured out how to come back and playoffs started by July.

No - if they aren't doing a 24-team playoff, no need for say, the Suns to come back.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kyle Goon

@kylegoon

Jared Dudley speaking to LA media just now said he expects the NBA to allow players the freedom to come and go from any game site they choose, but teams may put more stringent rules in place to keep players from leaving the "bubble" and protect their players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tania Ganguli

✔@taniaganguli

On a video call with @JaredDudley619 right now, he says there’s a misconception of the “bubble” concept when the season restarts. Players won’t be confined by league orders, he says, but it’ll be made clear that if you go somewhere and catch Covid-19 you won’t be able to play.

I can only imagine the uproar if a star comes down with the coronavirus in a championship series.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like regional television contracts kick in at 70 games.

But, to get back to the money as it inevitably always has to, the regional television contracts kick in once 70 games have been played.

Phoenix, however, is six games out of the playoff race. They are mathematically eliminated in a 70-game season. How can there be motivation in a five-game spurt for nothing?

Aside from getting back to basketball, there’s the possibility of a play-in tournament for the teams out of the race to sneak in. Commissioner Adam Silver has said that an in-season tournament has been discussed among league higherups in the past, and it’s surely being considered as a modification now.

https://arizonasports.com/story/230...-nbas-desire-to-reach-altered-70-game-season/

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I was about to quote

Yeah. Television money is a big incentive for all the teams to play a minimum of 70 games instead of going straight to the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams reportedly requested to create accounts with labs for testing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teams do not want to quarantine some players twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard