NBA Draft 7-29-2021: Suns select?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are they just not going to field a Summer League team?

Probably just fill out a team with G-league type players like Tariq Owens, and Ty-shon Alexander which is what most of the teams are anyway.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think what the Suns have figured with the G-league and undrafted players is that ROI is extremely low, and when there is a success story, the team that made the investment rarely is the benefactor.

Look at those guys like PJ Tucker, Derek Jones Jr, Christian Wood, and Cam Payne. They bounced in and out of the league, from team to team before things clicked.

You might as well sit back and let the other teams do the work and if a player catches your eye, pull him off the scrap heap and give him a shot.

James Jones has shown the ability to identify those types of guys and take a flyer at the right time. Cam Payne and to a lesser extent, Torrey Craig are recent examples. He's not afraid to cut bait either if the player isn't ready.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should have been all over this. Joel Ayayi PG/SG signs a two-way contract with the Lakers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what the Suns have figured with the G-league and undrafted players is that ROI is extremely low, and when there is a success story, the team that made the investment rarely is the benefactor.

Look at those guys like PJ Tucker, Derek Jones Jr, Christian Wood, and Cam Payne. They bounced in and out of the league, from team to team before things clicked.

You might as well sit back and let the other teams do the work and if a player catches your eye, pull him off the scrap heap and give him a shot.

James Jones has shown the ability to identify those types of guys and take a flyer at the right time. Cam Payne and to a lesser extent, Torrey Craig are recent examples. He's not afraid to cut bait either if the player isn't ready.

The Suns even hired assistant coach Bryan Gates who was 2 time NBA G League Coach of the Year.

I doubt other teams have G-League teams for the fun of it. We have established there is talent in the league. The Suns simply aren't committed to scouting and it will eventually cost them cheap talent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Suns even hired assistant coach Bryan Gates who was 2 time NBA G League Coach of the Year.

I doubt other teams have G-League teams for the fun of it. We have established there is talent in the league. The Suns simply aren't committed to scouting and it will eventually cost them cheap talent.
Hilarious that these statements are still being made 2 weeks after making it to the NBA Finals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We've been hearing this for a few years, there was even that hatchet piece from Woj a few months after Ryan was fired that said we weren't interested in scouting at all and the league was concerned about our management. Jones took issue with his statement, said Woj didn't know what he was talking about and then named the 10 or 12 scouts they had that were involved with the college game.

I guess it's possible we've fired all of them since then but I haven't seen any releases on it? I know when I look at the organization chart I don't see any scouts directly listed (except for the NBA advance scout) but maybe they have different titles?

Regardless, if you're winning, the draft (frequently) is more about entertaining the fans than it is about improving your team. I think it helps to always have one or two developmental players on your squad but we already have that without adding anyone this season. So I'm okay that we traded out of this draft although I'm a little disappointed we won't have Miles McBride to root for as he develops.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been hearing this for a few years, there was even that hatchet piece from Woj a few months after Ryan was fired that said we weren't interested in scouting at all and the league was concerned about our management. Jones took issue with his statement, said Woj didn't know what he was talking about and then named the 10 or 12 scouts they had that were involved with the college game.

I guess it's possible we've fired all of them since then but I haven't seen any releases on it? I know when I look at the organization chart I don't see any scouts directly listed (except for the NBA advance scout) but maybe they have different titles?

Regardless, if you're winning, the draft (frequently) is more about entertaining the fans than it is about improving your team. I think it helps to always have one or two developmental players on your squad but we already have that without adding anyone this season. So I'm okay that we traded out of this draft although I'm a little disappointed we won't have Miles McBride to root for as he develops.

I'd like to know who those scouts are because it has been a subject of debate so if you have a link that would be helpful.

In regard to the draft, good teams keep adding young talent to the tail end of their roster. I hope the Suns have some keepers in Jalen Smith and Ty-Shon Alexander but to be honest, I haven't seen seen them flash their talent much when they did play aside from Stix in the season finale. Maybe this summer we will get a better idea.

I remember when the Suns didn't value draft picks and it eventually leads to decline. The Suns could have used such players as Rondo, Gortat and those two first round picks they traded with Kurt Thomas. Goran Dragic wasn't too shabby as a second round pick either. Draft picks and UDFAs are more than entertainment for fans. Good teams take it seriously.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when the Suns didn't value draft picks and it eventually leads to decline. The Suns could have used such players as Rondo, Gortat and those two first round picks they traded with Kurt Thomas. Dragic wasn't too shabby as a second round pick either. Draft picks and UDFAs are more than entertainment for fans for good teams if they take it seriously.

Not to be snarky but I can remember when the Suns did value draft picks and it led to the worst stretch of seasons in Suns history. I like the way JJ is doing this despite missing out on the fun of watching a low expectations player turn out to be something special.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be snarky but I can remember when the Suns did value draft picks and it led to the worst stretch of seasons in Suns history. I like the way JJ is doing this despite missing out on the fun of watching a low expectations player turn out to be something special.

It's how the GM uses the draft picks. Selecting the right players has tremendous value.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The best teams don’t undervalue draft picks but also neither depend solely on the luck of draft picks. So far JJ seems to have a balance.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The best teams don’t undervalue draft picks but also neither depend solely on the luck of draft picks. So far JJ seems to have a balance.

Actually, JJ seems to undervalue draft picks drastically, unless he is specifically enamored with a particular prospect.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, JJ seems to undervalue draft picks drastically, unless he is specifically enamored with a particular prospect.
Trading 2nd rounders is not undervaluing picks. Trading for players who can contribute now verses in a couple years for a team in win now mode is not undervaluing picks. JJ made it clear the team was in win now mode and he was going to make moves that supported that view. He was not taking over a team in rebuild mode.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns traded first round pick conveys to OKC in 2022, Phoenix will own all of their future first round and second round picks into the future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns traded first round pick conveys to OKC in 2022, Phoenix will own all of their future first round and second round picks into the future.

We do have our own 2nd round pick this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it used in a trade though since we'll have Saric's disabled player exception to use. We'll see what happens but I like knowing that's available now in a future deal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do have our own 2nd round pick this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it used in a trade though since we'll have Saric's disabled player exception to use. We'll see what happens but I like knowing that's available now in a future deal.

It will likely will be a late second round pick in 2022 so I'm less concerned about trading it at least until draft day. Sometimes overlooked by fans, even second round picks have trade value.

I think the 2021 draft had some nice prospect big men go late. I'm not sure about the depth of the 2022 draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks get a steal drafting Miles MCBride. The same with his contract for 2 years, $2 million with a team option for the third year.

By Marc Berman, New York Post:

LAS VEGAS — The Knicks’ signing of second-round pick Miles McBride didn’t take up space and will put the club in control of the West Virginia point guard for three seasons, The Post has learned.

Because McBride fell out of the first round (36th overall), he’s not eligible for the four-year rookie scale contract. McBride has inked a two-year, $2 million package at the NBA minimum for first-year players with a team option for the third year. McBride will make $925,000 in his rookie season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knicks get a steal drafting Miles MCBride. The same with his contract for 2 years, $2 million with a team option for the third year.

By Marc Berman, New York Post:

LAS VEGAS — The Knicks’ signing of second-round pick Miles McBride didn’t take up space and will put the club in control of the West Virginia point guard for three seasons, The Post has learned.

Because McBride fell out of the first round (36th overall), he’s not eligible for the four-year rookie scale contract. McBride has inked a two-year, $2 million package at the NBA minimum for first-year players with a team option for the third year. McBride will make $925,000 in his rookie season.

Go figure, we got the Knicks starting PG from last year and they got who most of us wanted to be our 3rd stringer this year. Oh well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go figure, we got the Knicks starting PG from last year and they got who most of us wanted to be our 3rd stringer this year. Oh well.

Suns just keep missing out on point guards I liked: De'Aaron Fox (5), Shai Alexander (11), Tyrese Haliburton (12) and Mikes McBride (36).

They did draft Ty Jerome at #24!

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Suns just keep missing out on point guards I liked: De'Aaron Fox (5), Shai Alexander (11), Tyrese Haliburton (12) and Mikes McBride (36).

They did draft Ty Jerome at #24!
To be exact, Shai isn't a PG, he's a SG. But you were right about him none the less.

Miles looked REALLY good last night. I watched the game live and he was making a bigger impact on both ends than even Quickley (who was lighting it up). He only ended with 1 steal, but that doesn't account for how he completely took out his player from the game while disrupting passing lanes left and right... and then shot 6-6 from 3 (he finished with 22/7/5 with 0 TOs).

I love JJ. But I wish he'd care about the draft more. Miles would have been cheap and is ready to play 3rd string PG now.