National LOI Day - ASU/UA

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
On the the most important day in college football, where championships are won and lost, only two of the top ten high school football prospects in Arizona are set to sign with an in-state school and neither are a lock to qualify academically.

Just brutal.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
On the the most important day in college football, where championships are won and lost, only two of the top ten high school football prospects in Arizona are set to sign with an in-state school and neither are a lock to qualify academically.

Just brutal.

Pretty pathetic. I know the traditions of both schools can't touch many of the major schools, but it's really hard to understand why both teams are so bad at recruiting. Clearly, perfect weather, hot girls, and easy admissions are not what sells these kids.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly, perfect weather, hot girls, and easy admissions are not what sells these kids.

If two of your biggest competitors are USC and UCLA and your primary recruiting turf is Arizona and SoCal, the weather's far from perfect and the girls aren't too shabby at the other schools. Clearly, if that's the recruiting pitch, it explains why recruiting is so AWFUL for the Arizona schools. And FWIW, USC generally doesn't have a difficult time getting the kids they want into school and they also take JC transfers.

The head scratchers are kids like Westerman and Peat, but I note there will always be kids who just want a drastic change of scenery. I know I grew up here wanting to move to Seattle. Hated the desert. Still do, actually. Nebraska? Wasn't on my radar, but I wasn't a 290 lbs. defensive tackle, either.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing: I've long suspected the biggest detriment to both ASU and UA recruiting has been the lack of a devoted fan base and empty seats. When kids do go to Nebraska, Texas, or wherever, they feel like they're officially part of the college football landscape. Go to ASU or UA -- even when the crowds are relatively healthy -- there's little chant tradition and the atmosphere is that weird kind of fringe fantaticism that comes with a lot of bandwagon fans (i.e. they could give a **** how they represent the school and generally are the ones that end up on YouTube behaving like neanderthals because they never actually went to college).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing: I've long suspected the biggest detriment to both ASU and UA recruiting has been the lack of a devoted fan base and empty seats. When kids do go to Nebraska, Texas, or wherever, they feel like they're officially part of the college football landscape. Go to ASU or UA -- even when the crowds are relatively healthy -- there's little chant tradition and the atmosphere is that weird kind of fringe fantaticism that comes with a lot of bandwagon fans (i.e. they could give a **** how they represent the school and generally are the ones that end up on YouTube behaving like neanderthals because they never actually went to college).

You're right but it goes beyond the campus support and filled stadiums. Hang out in a real college town on game day and the atmosphere (everywhere in town) is so much different than what it's like in Tempe. Go into any restaurant, bar, diner etc on a Saturday in Lincoln, Nebraska and you can instantly identify the outsiders. They are the ones not wearing Cornhusker gear or at least Nebraska red.

The Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale area used to be a lot more like that back in the late 60's. It was never to the level of Norman, Oklahoma or Austin, Texas etc but at least the Devils were the talk of the town in every eating establishment for a day or two following the weekly game. Kush was right.

Steve

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's a lot of reasons:

Academics - both are mediocre overall. USC, UCLA, Texas, etc. are better

Tradition - Neither have one. Both have been mediocre or worse forever. Why would you want to play for such a team when Michigan or Oregon are calling?

Atmosphere - Bet you as a football player at ASU or UA you get recognized by less than 5% of the fans in the stadium on the normal street. Everyone knows who you are in the SEC or Big 12 or even Eugene.

Current Coaches - Stoops and Erickson both have little to offer. Stoops is nuts and Erickson is half in the bag. Not to mention neither has what you call terrific job security.

ASU and UA Football are what they always have been - irrelavant. Why would any kid join that when there's opportunities to do something special?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It's a lot of reasons:

Academics - both are mediocre overall. USC, UCLA, Texas, etc. are better

Tradition - Neither have one. Both have been mediocre or worse forever. Why would you want to play for such a team when Michigan or Oregon are calling?

Atmosphere - Bet you as a football player at ASU or UA you get recognized by less than 5% of the fans in the stadium on the normal street. Everyone knows who you are in the SEC or Big 12 or even Eugene.

Current Coaches - Stoops and Erickson both have little to offer. Stoops is nuts and Erickson is half in the bag. Not to mention neither has what you call terrific job security.

ASU and UA Football are what they always have been - irrelavant. Why would any kid join that when there's opportunities to do something special?

:(

But at least we have basketball :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn