Name your top 3 problems

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have a buddy who’s a big Lakers fan saying he thinks the Suns are a finals contender…this team “could” turn it on but I just don’t see it. We’re not well coached as has been pointed out.

But where is the leadership? Book is in year 9. He knows how to play basketball. KD and Beal are in Phoenix because of him.

He’s been kinda meh since all-star. He’s settling for wayyyy too many jumpers and his three is off. We’ll be lucky to make the playoffs honestly.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have a buddy who’s a big Lakers fan saying he thinks the Suns are a finals contender…this team “could” turn it on but I just don’t see it. We’re not well coached as has been pointed out.

But where is the leadership? Book is in year 9. He knows how to play basketball. KD and Beal are in Phoenix because of him.

He’s been kinda meh since all-star. He’s settling for wayyyy too many jumpers and his three is off. We’ll be lucky to make the playoffs honestly.
Hoping he is avoiding injury for playoffs?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed so much on the jumpers. The Buck game is the first game in a loong time that i've seen him attack the defense and rim, finish with contact. I really haven't seen that all season. Also too, his defensive intensity is just lacking this year.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

we have stretches - anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes where we are clearly contender level - but its so rare - and unpredictable - there is no "on switch"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we have stretches - anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes where we are clearly contender level - but its so rare - and unpredictable - there is no "on switch"
Every team in the league can have a great 5-10 minutes. The fact that all we can point to is 5-10 minute stretches pretty much says we are exactly what we are… a mediocre playoff pretender.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Every team in the league can have a great 5-10 minutes. The fact that all we can point to is 5-10 minute stretches pretty much says we are exactly what we are… a mediocre playoff pretender.
no - i mean we do play contender level basketball - that it is in us - that we are far more capable than the teams the term "mediocre" lumps us into - and before you start just know that i know you know i know - so there you go - lol this team is beyond disappointing - underachieving - hard to watch - all that good stuff plus the coach we decided to bring in is a low functioning moron who couldn't hype a room full of telemarketers with with free phone plans - but by all means tell me how much this team sucks bro

Last edited:

AzCardsfan76

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. Vogel's Defensive Strategy
2. Vogel's Offensive Strategy
3. Player's lack of intensity leading to turnovers and poor playing on the defensive end.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
We have great players that play mediocre together.

KD, is a 2-time finals MVP, yet on this team he falls apart in the 4th quarter. We have two top ten scorers, an excellent rebounder and a guy leading the league in 3%. We should be better.

1. Lack of leadership
2. Coaching / O/D schemes
3. Turnovers

It's possible that Booker having to take a back seat to KD has caused some of the problems.

In the fourth quarters it feels like everyone is deferring to someone else. It seems like Booker and KD are waiting for the other guy to take over at the end of games and the result is neither of them do.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1. Need a point guard
2. Beal trade will haunt us, without draft picks or cap space we cannot shore up our major weakness. Beal is good, but not as the third part at our position of strength.
3. Turnovers from bad passes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Need a point guard
2. Beal trade will haunt us, without draft picks or cap space we cannot shore up our major weakness. Beal is good, but not as the third part at our position of strength.
3. Turnovers from bad passes.

Why do you single out the Beal trade? We gave up some 2nd round picks, that rarely pan out and have little trade value. The KD trade was much more expensive in terms of assets, 4 1st round picks and 2 young rotation players.

I get the other points but I don't understand why anyone singles out the Beal trade as a misstep considering the price we paid at the time. It didn't help our cap situation but we were already flirting with the luxury tax before it. We gave up a toasted Chris Paul and worthless Landry Shamet as far as players go and I'd trade those 2 for almost anyone just to get them gone. They weren't helping the Suns win.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do you single out the Beal trade? We gave up some 2nd round picks, that rarely pan out and have little trade value. The KD trade was much more expensive in terms of assets, 4 1st round picks and 2 young rotation players.

I get the other points but I don't understand why anyone singles out the Beal trade as a misstep considering the price we paid at the time. It didn't help our cap situation but we were already flirting with the luxury tax before it. We gave up a toasted Chris Paul and worthless Landry Shamet as far as players go and I'd trade those 2 for almost anyone just to get them gone. They weren't helping the Suns win.

Beal for CP3's corpse was one of the best outcomes possible. And we got Goodwin, who sadly didn't pan out like we had hoped, but still there was potential that he'd be greater than the picks we gave up. I'd call it a wash if we just looked at Goodwin and Shamet.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beal for CP3's corpse was one of the best outcomes possible. And we got Goodwin, who sadly didn't pan out like we had hoped, but still there was potential that he'd be greater than the picks we gave up. I'd call it a wash if we just looked at Goodwin and Shamet.
Key word "possible". Considering our situation it was the best outcome. That doesn't mean it was the BEST move for the Suns. I like Beal. He has flashes of greatness but I just wish we had been able to pull off a move for a PG instead.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
beal is freakin awesome - was banged up much of the year and finally finding his stride before the post season as a do it all - cp3 was done son - we weren't just lucky it was a brilliant move

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Key word "possible". Considering our situation it was the best outcome. That doesn't mean it was the BEST move for the Suns. I like Beal. He has flashes of greatness but I just wish we had been able to pull off a move for a PG instead.
Sure, getting a PG would have been better for us but only if he was nearly Beal's level in talent. We went into the offseason needing a starting point guard, a backup point guard, a backup power forward and a lot of help at center but additionally, we were simply light on overall talent. We could have added a couple of journeyman players instead of Beal and while it might have filled some positional holes, I don't think we would have been any better off than we currently are.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, getting a PG would have been better for us but only if he was nearly Beal's level in talent. We went into the offseason needing a starting point guard, a backup point guard, a backup power forward and a lot of help at center but additionally, we were simply light on overall talent. We could have added a couple of journeyman players instead of Beal and while it might have filled some positional holes, I don't think we would have been any better off than we currently are.
That's why I said considering what was possible, Beal was the best available move. Doesn't mean is was the best move but we shall see.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not so sure of this anymore.

I was expecting much more out of Beal - and for the contract he has he absolutely needs to contribute more.

At this point just getting Paul's contract off the books might have been the better move.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You’re right. I was tired and was thinking of the Durant picks. Still we are in cap hell and no way out to fix our issues. It’s going to be a long few years if we don’t figure out the turnover issue. But if you tell me we’d get this version of Grayson Allen, I’d have kept the cap trade flexibility for another player. I like Beal but we don’t need 3 shooting guards in our top 5

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
1. Coach Vogel doesn't cut. Let him go,,
2. Weak bench for the most part. Royce, EG, and Bol are acceptable.
3. Tend to get a good lead and then take the foot off the gas.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson