My work, precursor hopefully to greater things

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems the most relevant forum to post such a thread, so here I go.

When I grow up I want to be a published author. I had an interest in writing before, and found out what I wanted to do by actually writing stories. When I first started to try to write, I followed the old adage ‘write what you know’.

In my case, one thing I know about is the Star Wars universe.

I found out that writing in specific genres is quite a common occurrence. Such writing by amateurs, called fan fiction, or fanfic, is all over the web. Probably the majority of it is pretty bad, but there is a good amount of stuff out there that is just as good as anything published. Some of the most widespread genres of fanfic are Star Wars, Star Trek and X-Files. However, this even extends to things like comic book characters and other series television like Alias.

There is a pretty pervasive stigmatism aligned with fanfic. Most not interested in fanfic consider it hack material. I will agree to a large extent, but I still contend there’s some amazing stuff out there. However, it is the negative connotation regarding fanfic that keeps most people from sharing with people outside the interest.

Anyway, to see if I can even write, I started to write stories set in the Star Wars universe about 7 or 8 years ago. Not only did I enjoy it, but became quite well respected in some circles (I even have a small fan base). I’m actually quite proud of my work.

The inherent problem with fanfic is that it is by definition unpublishable. There is no way to take what I’ve done to a publisher or even an agent. So, I need to write some original fiction, which is what I’m beginning to do.

My younger brother, doing some snooping on the web, actually found my writing. When he initially brought it to my attention, I was mortified (see above stigmatism). However, he told me he was very impressed, thought is was great and said I should pursue writing. This was an amazing event in my life. It is this happening that is leading me to share it with others here to hopefully broaden the feedback and critical commentary I can get. So, here I go with a big step.

So, if you are interested, give it a look-see. I’m open and welcoming to all feedback. I realize it is hack work, but I also think the substance of it can be an indication of how I write when I begin to peddle my original fiction. If you want to bash me and this stuff, please feel free. I would better benefit from critical and constructive feedback good and bad.

As people here might not be SW aficionados beyond the movies, I am providing some background information needed to get started on my stories if you’re interested. Links to my specific stories are below:

In Star Wars, there are the movies and then there are oodles of books that take place after the events of ROTJ (Return of the Jedi). These books are tales usually told in trilogy form as well (three books each arc). I will attempt to fill in any necessary ‘history’ so if anyone reads my stuff there will be little confusion.

Basically, after the Emperor, Vader, and the second Death Star are destroyed, there is still a lot to do with the remnants of the Empire. Regional governors, Imperial warlords, admirals and many others either want to restore the glory of the Empire or take over as head of it. So, the pro books essentially all dealt with two things: taking down a faction of some sort of the Empire, and/or dealing with another so-called superweapon. (sometimes, it also involves ‘dark’ Jedi)

About 9 years after the battle of Yavin (5 years after ROTJ), Grand Admiral Thrawn returns from the Unknown Regions, determined to defeat the New Republic and restore the Empire. He is the quintessential military genius, and nearly does what he sets out to. However, our intrepid heroes eventually win.

These three books are perhaps the most influential. They are widely regarded as the best trilogy, the template from which to follow. (though there are many and intense debates as to these points). In retrospect, they are really much better than the other books, which aren’t really that good to begin with.

However, they introduce many things and characters. First are the ysalamiri. They are small slamanderlike creatures (growing to about 50 cms) that have the unique ability to push back the Force. They in effect create a Force bubble (of about 10m in radius) in which the Force cannot penetrate or work. They are used (initially by Thrawn, then by others sporadically) to protect him from Luke and other Forcy good guys who want to defeat him.

We also meet Talon Kaarde. He is a smuggler, information broker, and one of the all around slickest operators in the galaxy. He became sort of a Han Solo after Han Solo settled down with Leia. However, his moral compass isn’t nearly as developed. He wants to stay out of things, but eventually ends up helping. Over the course of the years, he helps out the New Republic (NR), but usually because it can also benefit him. He is generally portrayed as a neutral/good guy. I don’t necessarily buy that.

It is with Talon Kaarde that we find Mara Jade. Unable to do what she usually did, she signed on as a mechanic with his organization. Yet, she used to be so much more. Mara Jade was once the ‘Emperor’s Hand’, virtually an extension of his will, who would go anywhere in the galaxy to carry out his orders, including murder. Her specialty in the Force is long distance communication, and she could hear the Emperor from anywhere. After Vader’s battle with Luke on Cloud City-and his revelation to his son and the invitation to join him in ruling the Empire-Palpatine secretly ordered Jade to kill Skywalker. She beat Luke to Jabba’s Palace and went undercover. However, she failed to kill to kill Luke, and Luke went on to destroy the Emperor. Jade was filled with guilt and vowed to kill Skywalker-for that was the Emperor’s last command. After the Emperor’s death, her Force powers diminished and she became an outcast who had to find a new job (for no one in the Empire knew her). She ended up working for Karrde, eventually becoming his second in command. Jade did encounter Luke and saved his life, a favor that they traded several times. She fulfilled the Emperor’s last command in a roundabout way: When the mad Jedi clone Joruus C’baoth called both Luke and Mara to him, then unleashed a clone of Luke (obtained by getting his DNA from the severed hand on Cloud City), Mara killed the Luuke clone and was finally free of the Emperor’s last command and his will.

Han and Leia got married and had kids (that I refer to as the Wonderbrats). Jacen, Jaina and Anakin. Han’s essentially a non-character now and Chewie’s a glorified babysitter.

Luke decided to begin a Jedi Academy (on Yavin), finding Force sensitives and training them to establish a new Jedi order. For a time, Mara trained with them. Luke and Mara’s relationship was an on-again-off-again thing. Finally, about 15 years after ROTJ, they get married.

I won’t go into the debate of Mara Jade and her relationship with Luke. Needless to say, it is the single largest area of contention. Mara was a dancer, well proportioned and very intelligent. She had the ‘crimson’ hair was essentially a badass. Many like her and their relationship, many hate her with a vehemence. I think she was just poorly written over time, but the character is just fine. I take great pride in ‘my’ version of her.

The New Republic makes great strides over time to defeat the remnants of the Empire. Around the time Luke and Mara get engaged, the NR signs a truce with the bulk of the remainder of the Empire. Talon Karrde is chosen as the information broker between the NR and the Empire, sort of a go-between for the two. The NR has control of Coruscant and establishes it as its capital city.

I have five stories.

‘Aether Way’ takes place about 10 years after ROTJ. The Jedi Academy is in full swing. I wrote it for two reasons: one, to dispel the silly midichlorian theory. Two, because I thought it was intriguing that today’s scientists are reviving the theory about ether. I wanted to incorporate it into a story.

http://www.geocities.com/sandy_julie/Aether.txt

The sequel to ‘Aether Way’, ‘Aether Side’, is my newest story. It continues the story and sets up a huge story arc project that I might possibly get to one day, the Jedi Crusades.

http://www.geocities.com/sandy_julie/AetherSide.txt

‘Echoes of the Force’ takes place a long time in the future. The treaty has been signed, Luke and Mara are married and have a daughter. This story takes place about 34 years after ROTJ. I love this story and this character. This story came about from discussion of Skywalker offspring. I don’t like the Wonderbrats and decided to try to come up with a rather stylized child of Luke. Here is what I came up with.

http://www.geocities.com/sandy_julie/EOTF.txt

Then, there is my baby: ‘Blacklight’. It takes place about 13 years after ROTJ. This was the first story I tried (and since it took so long, the last story I finished). I wanted to write what I knew, so I started with fanfiction. Since it was my first attempt, I decided to try to write all sorts of different things, including erotica. So, there are some smut segments in Blacklight. I believe they are essential, but they are what they are. Since I started with it, I kept with it over time. If anyone wishes for an edited version, let me know. Size wise, they are a miniscule part of the story.

It is very long, sort of my own Star Wars trilogy myself. In hindsight, I find many unintentional similarities between Blacklight and the SW movies. During this time, there are still a lot of Imperial factions trying to regain control of the lion’s share of the galaxy. This story is about one such attempt, but really it is about one man. I am very proud of it. Yes, it is huge, but I would like to think it is worth the time. I even created a musical score/soundtrack. If anyone is interested in experiencing the story with the musical score/soundtrack (as the songs are meant for certain specific parts of the story), let me know and I can send.

This story is in 4 huge parts. Here are the links, in order:

(EDIT: Here's how to find Blacklight)

http://www.geocities.com/sandy_julie/Outerim.html

This takes you to a small but impressive fanfic site. On this page you can find all the parts of Blacklight, as well as links to download zip files.

There is one final short story, ‘The Death of Luke Skywalker’. Almost as an aside, I decided to write it because fanfiction has never really addressed it and I wanted it done right (or at least better than it could possibly be). So, I gave my version/interpretation of that event.

http://www.geocities.com/sandy_julie/DOLS.txt

If there are any questions, anything that doesn’t make sense, please ask. I am always looking for commentary to make my writing better. Know that most of this stuff was written years ago and I would like to think I’m much better now.

Thanks.

Sean

Last edited:

Djaughe

Reaction score
Hey I look forward to readin the stuff. I'm no publisher - but after I'm done I'll let you what I think!
:jedi:

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
Hey I look forward to readin the stuff. I'm no publisher - but after I'm done I'll let you what I think!
:jedi:

That would be wonderful. I hope you enjoy! Please let me know if you have any questions.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan,

While I have yet to see a Star Wars movie (eeep... i know), I am a huge fan of reading fan fiction (particularly X-Files :)). I think it's awesome that you are writing fan fiction - and it's true what they say about the stigmatism AND the barrel of terrific writers within fanfic. My roommates tease me for reading fanfic. I don't care, of course, because I have read some GREAT X-Files stories and I would never want to give that up.

Maybe someday I will find the time and dive into the Star Wars universe. And when I do, I'll be sure that you're my first fanfic of that genre that I read :).

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
WaywardFan,

While I have yet to see a Star Wars movie (eeep... i know), I am a huge fan of reading fan fiction (particularly X-Files :)).

I’ve read some X-Files, and some really GOOD X-Files. In many respects, fanfic is the ONLY way a genre lives on for people.

But, man, there’s a lot of slash out there for X-Files. Probably more than any other genre I’ve seen.

I think it's awesome that you are writing fan fiction - and it's true what they say about the stigmatism AND the barrel of terrific writers within fanfic. My roommates tease me for reading fanfic. I don't care, of course, because I have read some GREAT X-Files stories and I would never want to give that up.

Thank you for saying all of this! And you’re right.

I’m sorry for the teasing. It’s inevitable, unfortunately, and I fully expect to get a good dose of it here. But that’s okay. I’m looking for ways to get better (even though most of this stuff is a couple of years old. I’d like to think I’m even better now), and I think asking for feedback of people not into fanfiction is a good next step.

Maybe someday I will find the time and dive into the Star Wars universe. And when I do, I'll be sure that you're my first fanfic of that genre that I read :).

Much appreciated. Thank you very much!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I have read quite a bit of the SW universe. I really liked Shadows of the Empire and recommend it to anyone that enjoyed the first three movies and is interested in the other stuff that is out there. I liked the Han Solo trilogy, even though parts of it were a little cheesy it is great background info on one of the main SW characters. Also, like you mentioned, the Thrawn trilogy is a must read for anyone interested in SW after ROTJ.

I think it is great you have the passion to write, sometimes I wish I did.
Look forward to reading your stuff when I have time.

Good Luck with your writing.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WWF - I don't know much about the SW universe sans the movies, but your story on the "Death of Luke Skywalker" was fantastic. It seems very apropos about the way he dies.

You do have a special talent. Please pursue your passion.

Thank you for allowing us to read your works.

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I have read quite a bit of the SW universe. I really liked Shadows of the Empire and recommend it to anyone that enjoyed the first three movies and is interested in the other stuff that is out there.

Shadows was interesting and almost ‘felt’ kinda different from the other books as it took place between ESB and ROTJ. It’s almost like it was filler (and not in a bad way) between the movies and not original fiction. In other words, maybe in some ways it feels more like canon than other books. Does that make sense?

I liked the Han Solo trilogy, even though parts of it were a little cheesy it is great background info on one of the main SW characters.

Which one was that? I’m trying to remember if I read that one. You’re not meaning the Corellian trilogy, right?

Also, like you mentioned, the Thrawn trilogy is a must read for anyone interested in SW after ROTJ.

Agreed.

I think it is great you have the passion to write, sometimes I wish I did.

Nothing wrong with giving it a try. That’s what I did.

Look forward to reading your stuff when I have time.

And I would greatly look forward to your opinions on it! That would be awesome, Chaz. Thanks.

Good Luck with your writing.

Thank you very much.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
But, man, there’s a lot of slash out there for X-Files. Probably more than any other genre I’ve seen.

I know, it's crazy! I tried reading some, but it was just too weird for me. I'll stick with the tried-and-true MSR, thanks.

Ever thought about writing X-Files fan fic? :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I know, it's crazy! I tried reading some, but it was just too weird for me. I'll stick with the tried-and-true MSR, thanks.

Ever thought about writing X-Files fan fic? :)

As recently as 3 weeks ago, I was almost going to attempt to write an X-Files thing. But I'm not interested in fan fiction at all--so most of my time was spent trying to find out from the publisher of the previous X-Files novels (Goblins, Skin, Whirlwind, etc.) if it was viable to attempt a new novel.

I couldn't find any information, so it would most likely be a waste of time to write something of good length and find out that they wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Personally, I'd still love to write something in the X-Files universe, but only maybe in short form.

Oh, and Kate I also picked up the X-Files game for the PS2... Pretty much a Resident Evil clone though...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Assface sends me his Star Wars erotica he writes....

Guess he really never got over seeing Princess Lei in her slave outfit from ROTJ when he was so young

here's an exerpt:

"....as he retreated his weapon to its holster he gasped at the size of his wookie. That is one harry wookie you got there mister, said young Joe Fernandez a slave trader on the moon of Naboo. "Yes, I take my wookie everywhere I go"

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap, you might as well give it a try, even if only in short form. As to trying to submit to the XF publishers an actual novel, I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I imagine it would be extremely hard to get seen.

thirty-two said:

To me, those are more intent driven than story or character driven and that's not what I'm looking for.

Ever thought about writing X-Files fan fic?

No, I never have. That might be interesting to try though. I liken the dialogue to trying to write dialogue in the Jossverse. Very tricky. Though, I do feel very much removed from the X-Files now.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Assface sends me his Star Wars erotica he writes....

Guess he really never got over seeing Princess Lei in her slave outfit from ROTJ when he was so young

here's an exerpt:

"....as he retreated his weapon to its holster he gasped at the size of his wookie. That is one harry wookie you got there mister, said young Joe Fernandez a slave trader on the moon of Naboo. "Yes, I take my wookie everywhere I go"

Dude, Princess Lei is sooooo hot.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
As recently as 3 weeks ago, I was almost going to attempt to write an X-Files thing. But I'm not interested in fan fiction at all--so most of my time was spent trying to find out from the publisher of the previous X-Files novels (Goblins, Skin, Whirlwind, etc.) if it was viable to attempt a new novel.

I couldn't find any information, so it would most likely be a waste of time to write something of good length and find out that they wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Personally, I'd still love to write something in the X-Files universe, but only maybe in short form.

Oh, and Kate I also picked up the X-Files game for the PS2... Pretty much a Resident Evil clone though...

Go for it Chaplin, even in short form! I'd definitely like to read it.

And as for the PS2 game, I'm jealous, of course. I don't have a PS2 but my roomie does! So I might just buy it anyway, hehe. One can never have too much XF stuff.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
my wookie

I always think of Ralph Wiggum when I hear that word. "I bent my wookie."

I never knew it was SW related.. :stupid:

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
WWF - I don't know much about the SW universe sans the movies, but your story on the "Death of Luke Skywalker" was fantastic. It seems very apropos about the way he dies.

Wow, great. Thanks! That was written several years ago so there could very well be some sloppiness. I’m glad it didn’t seem to distract you.

You do have a special talent. Please pursue your passion.

I hope to. It’s difficult with real life getting in the way. And, though writing SW can do nothing to advance my goal of getting published, I continue to be interested in writing more. It keeps trying to pull me back in.

I think I’d rather write suspense and/or horror type things rather than sci-fi or fantasy. Stuff like books written by Dean Koontz. I don’t know, I’ll just have to see.

Thank you for allowing us to read your works.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope you’ll read some of the others and some others will give them a shot.

I’d be really interested in knowing what works and what doesn’t. I’m always trying to find ways to get better.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just finished Death of Luke Skywalker...that was just awesome...seemed like a fitting way for his life to end.

The battle was just amazing...so powerful, I loved it.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Chap, you might as well give it a try, even if only in short form. As to trying to submit to the XF publishers an actual novel, I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I imagine it would be extremely hard to get seen.

I guess I'm more interested in original stuff--although I had an interesting idea that kinda combined X-Files with the Frighteners. Didn't really work on it all that much though.

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I guess I'm more interested in original stuff--although I had an interesting idea that kinda combined X-Files with the Frighteners. Didn't really work on it all that much though.

Now, you're getting into crossovers, a totally different subsection of fanfic.

Some go horribly awry, but some work very well. One of the most attempted is, of course, SW & Star Trek.

Actually, X-Files and Frighteners sounds very intriguing.

OP
OP
WaywardFan

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Wow, I just finished Death of Luke Skywalker...that was just awesome...seemed like a fitting way for his life to end.

Thanks. I'm so glad you liked it.

I think I was spurned to write it to protect him. At the time, I had never seen a story regarding his death. However, I was beginning to see some stories that frankly abused the character. I saw some having him fall into drug dependency and other things and I was afraid his death wouldn't be done 'right'. Now, as with any story, my version of his ending is only one version, not any more right than another. But, I got mine out, and many people have said to me it is the RIGHT way for him to go.

The battle was just amazing...so powerful, I loved it.

Thanks. After taking and then teaching fencing classes, I'd like to think combat writing is one of my strong suits. I do think I have much better ones in my other stories. Aether Way and its sequel have some good ones, and there's a lot about the lightsaber, fighting with it and fights with it in Blacklight.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WaywardFan said:
Now, you're getting into crossovers, a totally different subsection of fanfic.

Some go horribly awry, but some work very well. One of the most attempted is, of course, SW & Star Trek.

Actually, X-Files and Frighteners sounds very intriguing.

I didn't mean actually combining the two. Sorry, I know my Hollywoodspeak kinda makes it sound like that though.

One of the scripts I wrote was like a combination of The Crow and 12 Monkeys. Most scripts today can be described simply as a combination of two other things, i.e. Last Samurai is a cross between Braveheart and Glory, etc... :D