My very thorough review of NFL 2k5...

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know there's a few threads already for this, but this game deserves many many threads :)

I'll be frank, I love this game. I've had a week to play it now, so here's my impression of the game in about 8-10 hours of play.

At first, I didn't like it, mainly because I was so used to Madden. This game seemed to move too quickly and I didn't feel like i was in control. I've played the game for a few days now, and now that I'm used to it, it's a much more powerful game than Madden ever was.

The graphics...awesome. I'm big on detail, and the player detail and lighting effects in this game are right up there with the best the X box has to offer. No big, clunky players like in Madden, no drawn-on jerseys like in madden.

The Play Control... incredible. I love pulling the R trigger to scramble around, then release the R trigger to bring back up the passing icons. This is an amazing innovation that Madden needs to imploy. It feels totally natural.

The running game is really really fun as well. You have so many options. You can charge up and lower your head to run through guys, juke and cut or spin around them, jump over them ala Larry Centers, or use the R thumbstick to do all kinds of crazy Barry Sanders-esque moves. Simply the most incredible running game control I've ever seen. Truly the most awesome part of the game IMO.

Ok, now the defense... At first this seemed hopeless, mainly because I was used to Madden. I didn't realize that if you put a CB in a zone and blitz the LBs that the WR would come open on inside routes (quite realistic, mind you). Now that I've figured that out, I've learned how to blitz from double coverage and use man-to-man to slow teams down. Controlling a linebacker or safety is much more fun than in Madden, mainly because the characters cut and change directions much more quickly in this game than in Madden. In Madden, the player models are big and bulky and they don't have much agility. I also like controlling defensive linemen in this game. I can't seem to get too many sacks from the DEs, but the DT's are ripping it up for me, especially Dockett. He has 8 sacks for me in about 5 games.

The kicking game is much simpler and more fun than Madden's as well. My girlfriend likes to play me sometimes, and she could never get the kicking game in madden. In madden, it's click once to start the swing, click again to set the power, click again to set the accuracy. In NFL2k5, it's aim, click to start the swing, click for power. 2 clicks as opposed to 3. More casual gamers will like this.

The VIP profile is spooky. I played a few games, and then played against my VIP profile. It was sick, it was like looking in a mirror. The computer played just like I do, making the same mistakes I make and running the same gameplan I run. This is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a sports game, ever, bar none.

First person mode is quite fun too, it reminds me of playing high school football.

OK, first was the good, now the bad.

1. The running animations are dreadful. The players all run too upright, Eric Dickerson style. This looks terribly cheesy as you run down the field.

2. If you run out of bounds w/o being tackled, the player just STOPS at the sideline, no momentum carrying him past the white stripe. Physically impossible.

3. Clipping. There's a lot of model clipping in the game, even in something as simple and routine as a handoff. This should be corrected.

4. Defensive money plays. If you run the bear defense with zone coverage and both outside guys (WLB and SS) blitzing, you will stop the computer most of the time. It works too well against mobile QBs too, as I was easily able to contain Vick with this defense. That shouldn't happen. His ability to scramble should be almost unstoppable.

5. Substitutions. Ron McKinnon went down with a head injury for 8 weeks. No problem, I thought, I'll just sub Gerald Hayes in for him. NFL2k5 would NOT allow this because Hayes is an OLB, not an ILB. Frustrating. You can't even sub a LB in at DE for passing plays.

6. Trades. I put Emmitt Smith on the trading block. Yes he's old, but he's like a 76 overall, and in Madden, that'd get you usually a 60-something overall player and a draft pick. In NFL2k5, I put Smith on the trading block for a 4th round pick. 1 team told me they'd love to trade their 4th round pick for Emmitt and my 4th round pick. :rolleyes: :mad:

7. The announcers. Annoying as all hell, yet still better than Madden and his "90% of the game is half mental" mindless drivel.

8. I can't save a franchise game in the middle of a game. I can only exit or sim to the end. This sucks, as I rarely have time to sit down and play through a full 60 minute game.

9. No play editor :shrug: Damnit. These guys still need to learn from FBpro98, the most powerful football sim and play editor ever.

Overall I'd give the game a 9 out of 10. Fine, fine product, and I can't wait to see where they take this franchise next year. Madden finally has some competition, and it's only going to be good for the genre as this market has shifted from EA's totalitarian regime to a nice competitive oligopoly.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice worl, well said. I am about another week away from writing my review, but I am almost done with one for NCAA 2005.

A-Bomb

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
vince56 said:
eh, no one cares except A-bomb. I feel so alone :p

I just got this game and have not played it much yet. Your review was very helpful and informative. I am disappointed a little still with some of the minuses you mentioned.

And, what is up with the "crib". The game seems a little cheesy with its presentation.

....of course I think the same thing about ESPN television sometimes so I guess it is accurate. :)

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I play Calvin pace and I have 15 sacks in week 6 lol.

Playing the DE is a little too easy. But other than that I love the game. With Madden I couldnt get 1 sack.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Friggen Portis has 1500 yards for the Redskins in week 6.... what am I doing wrong? He had like 3 back to back 300 games

I totally rocked Michael Vick, he did a naked bootleg and I did a powered up dive tackle with Dexter Jackson. Jackson is out 15 weeks with a concussion and Vick is out for the season with a broken leg. It was worth it :)

Then Michael Stone steps in for Jackson and is getting 2 INTs a game for me, he is flying all over the field making plays, knocking balls away.

There is a definate difference in playing a team like New England and a team like Atlanta..... NE is just superior and you have to adjust your play calling to accomidate their best players

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Friggen Portis has 1500 yards for the Redskins in week 6.... what am I doing wrong? He had like 3 back to back 300 games

I totally rocked Michael Vick, he did a naked bootleg and I did a powered up dive tackle with Dexter Jackson. Jackson is out 15 weeks with a concussion and Vick is out for the season with a broken leg. It was worth it :)

Then Michael Stone steps in for Jackson and is getting 2 INTs a game for me, he is flying all over the field making plays, knocking balls away.

There is a definate difference in playing a team like New England and a team like Atlanta..... NE is just superior and you have to adjust your play calling to accomidate their best players

So are you going to join our league???

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally rocked Michael Vick, he did a naked bootleg and I did a powered up dive tackle with Dexter Jackson. Jackson is out 15 weeks with a concussion and Vick is out for the season with a broken leg.

What an awesome injury!! I am sitting here at work trying to find a way to leave and play some football without getting into trouble and without my wife knowing. Being an adult is tough.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:

I'm going to...someone told me you can do a two-month trial on it...with some code from the game they bought...any of you have this code?

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SweetD said:
I want to, but I am the type of person who would get addicted..... I am fearful

plus I am buying Madden in 5 days 8)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I'm going to...someone told me you can do a two-month trial on it...with some code from the game they bought...any of you have this code?

Mike
It should be with your game you just bought???

OP
OP
vince56

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, I didn't realize how much franchise mode sucks in this game. My team is $5 mil under the cap this year, $18 mil under for next year. I tried to resign Vanden Bosch for $ 4 mil over 3 years, and it told me I couldn't do it because I'd go over the cap. The numbers over at the left said I still would have over $3 mil left, and I have no idea why I kept getting the error. Regardless, I couldn't resign him.

:mad:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Not a bad game, but not madden-replacing.

The gameplay is solild. The more I've played, the better it feels, but still not better than Madden.

I haven't been into franchise mode enough to see how bad/good it really is, but Madden's franchise mode has always been fantastic, so I dont' expect this to be any better.

The graphics are nice, though.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Man, I didn't realize how much franchise mode sucks in this game. My team is $5 mil under the cap this year, $18 mil under for next year. I tried to resign Vanden Bosch for $ 4 mil over 3 years, and it told me I couldn't do it because I'd go over the cap. The numbers over at the left said I still would have over $3 mil left, and I have no idea why I kept getting the error. Regardless, I couldn't resign him.

:mad:
Maybe he is not Denny Green's Guy and was saying NO! :)

OP
OP
vince56

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Is there no FA list like Madden?

Yeah there is. I signed Justin Fargas as my speed back when Scobey went down. Also got that Jue CB that's really stingy on passes thrown his way.

/me ducks

SirChaz said:
I shut out Denver yesterday 24-0, Plummer had two INTs. :D

Ah, realism as work. Plummer is actually #2 in pro bowl ballotting for my league, right behind Scott Player, which I just cannot understand. More ballots have been cast for the punters than the QBs. Strange :shrug:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Yeah there is. I signed Justin Fargas as my speed back when Scobey went down. Also got that Jue CB that's really stingy on passes thrown his way.

/me ducks

Well then help me out!

I found front office with contracts, needs, and trades.

Where do you go to sign free agents? :shrug:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Well then help me out!

Go where the contracts are and press L and R to scroll through the teams. "Free agents" should be one of those teams.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Well then help me out!

Go into contracts and switch teams until you see "Free Agents"

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
All I got was an instruction book...

Mike
No prob I still have one from Rainbow 6-3 I bought awhile back. Let me know if you want it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
No prob I still have one from Rainbow 6-3 I bought awhile back. Let me know if you want it.

I do want it, what do I need, just the code?

Mike