My Draft Objectives

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yikes! Daniel Jeremiah's latest Mock Draft 3.0 has most of these guys gone before the Cards first Pick:

#15 Devonte Wyatt

#17 Trevor Penning

#19 Boye Mafe

#21 Jameson Williams

And some of your second rounders have moved up into his first round:

#28 Jahan Dotson

#31 Andrew Booth
I didn’t give Wyatt an asteris, primarily because he was climbing. Lately though he‘s dropped a little and I can’t get anyone to tell me why. That‘s worrisome but not enough he wouldn’t be my third choice.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
You don't draft a WR2 in round 1 though. We can draft a WR2 with potential to be a future WR1 in round 2.
Who do you like that fis that description. I took Williams because without the injury he could well have been th top receiver. My medical guys tell me he’ll recover fully. Give me Green at the right price and work this guy in slowly. Eventually he and Hopkins are a tough cover problem.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I don't have any concerns other than you are kinda punting year 1 unless the Cardinals feel he can play guard. For me, I like Iowa linemen. I like centers who were wrestlers. I like the leverage that these guys can play with. His snap / step motion seems good. I think having a 10 year C is valuable enough to take a year early.

I also like that I don't know that he needs to be coached up a ton.
Good player but would be weaker than Johnson if you wanted him to start at guard then eventually move to center. I wouldn’t move Hudson.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry nailed David Johnson when almost nobody else even mentioned him so I'm very intrigued by Walker. he has a pretty ideal lean for a RB too. part of what made everyone skeptical with Johnson is he ran so upright, but Walker, he's got a pretty ideal body lean. Not big but that's what Conner is for. Would hate to have to take a RB that early but he sure does look like a potential game breaker. Ideally he'd last until our 3rd round pick.
Thanks, Johnson mutated into one of the biggest puzzles I’ve seen. I guess the injury was fo blame though that seems odd. He appeared to loose the ability to make that jump cut which left defenders tackling air. Sad finish to a fabulous start.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Harry, this information is absolutely fantastic!! Is there any chance Logan Hall moves up draft boards to late 1st round? I really like Hall’s combination of run defense from end and pass rush from inside.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, this information is absolutely fantastic!! Is there any chance Logan Hall moves up draft boards to late 1st round? I really like Hall’s combination of run defense from end and pass rush from inside.
Well you’ve asked about one of the more devisive players in the draft. He’s extra tricky because he mostly played inside at tackle but in the NFL will almost sure move to end. Playing inside he has zero cover experience, but does swat down his share of passes. Most people with whom I‘ve spoken have him in the middle of round 2. That’s an awkward place for the Cards. He’s not strong enough to go at 23 but will likely go before 55. If you wanted to target him your best strategy would be to trade down from 23. That would be a huge gamble and someone could snatch him before you got him. I can’t endorse that strategy because there’s going to be a sure thing at 23 with the depth in this draft. Hall has a great motor and a powerful punch. He’s solidly aggressive. Playing inside he’s developed moves including spins, swims & looping stunts. He also has above average speed with a good, quick burst. Drawbacks include being impatient so he gets frustrated by double teams. He doesn’t use leverage well and takes bad angles. Too often he gets redirected by weaker players. His frustration often manifests if his first move doesn’t work. He’s on Bruce Feldman's Freaks List, so he’s quite an athlete. However he only started one year due to his issues.

If he’s there at 55 (hard to imagine) and the Cards didn‘t go Edge in round 1, you’d have to consider him. Just know it would take a year or maybe 2 for him to blossom. It would be best if the Cards signed a veteran rusher (still some left) and he could play situationally. That is not to say he can’t play the run, he can. He just needs to hone his pass rushing skill. He‘s likely not ready to play a heavy load of downs. Round him out and you may have an impact player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who do you like that fis that description. I took Williams because without the injury he could well have been th top receiver. My medical guys tell me he’ll recover fully. Give me Green at the right price and work this guy in slowly. Eventually he and Hopkins are a tough cover problem.

I'm a big Williams fan. I think he's the best WR in the draft. If he's there at #23 it would be tough to pass up.

I really like Christian Watson. I only recently got to watch his film but I think he's well gone by #55. Might go late round 1.

I like George Pickens too, but again likely gone by #55.

I will say this. I think this years draft is one of the most difficult to predict. In most groups there are a bunch of very good prospects but in vastly different flavors and scheme fit is going to play a huge part.

Someone like Charles Cross could go anywhere from #5 to #25. Same really for all the tackles. Similar applies to Edge, CB, and WR. QB is a big wildcard. I wouldn;t like to be a GM trying to predict who's going to be on the board.

I think with WR there are so many guys of similar quality that we don't even see one drafted until late teens (with the possible exception of the Falcons) and I expect a multitude of options for Keim at #23. Which is why I'm most concerned about drafting a WR there. Because given multiple options at WR Keim is going to pick the wrong one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I didn’t give Wyatt an asteris, primarily because he was climbing. Lately though he‘s dropped a little and I can’t get anyone to tell me why. That‘s worrisome but not enough he wouldn’t be my third choice.
Wyatt is older than you'd like. As you well know, it's better to get a younger guy because there is more room for physical growth.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Then we're hosed on offense because we desperately need a top WR, if not two. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
The Cardinals need a healthy Hopkins and some complements. It's really not as dire as you are making it out to be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This

How much faith do any of us have that he will make the right choices in a draft that is critical to the teams success?

To be fair I wouldn't want to be any GM drafting WR in round 1. A lot of them have high ceilings and low floors for me.

All of them have some kind of caveat wither it's limited starts, injury history, below average testing that doesn't match the tape etc etc

When I watched Jamar Chase college film I knew he was going to be great and was worth that top 10 pick. I don't get that same certainty with any of the top WR's this year.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some complements = at least a #2 WR. That's a pretty big need right there, and that doesn't do enough on its own either.
Unless anyone thinks Moore, Dortch, Baccellia, and Isabella is sufficient.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To be fair I wouldn't want to be any GM drafting WR in round 1. A lot of them have high ceilings and low floors for me.

All of them have some kind of caveat wither it's limited starts, injury history, below average testing that doesn't match the tape etc etc

When I watched Jamar Chase college film I knew he was going to be great and was worth that top 10 pick. I don't get that same certainty with any of the top WR's this year.
I'm an Olave fan. I think his floor is high...that's a compliment from me.

Barring injury I think at worst he is a good #2. That's why I'm torn on wanting an edge, IOL, IDL, or WR. Olave to me would be a pretty good bet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm an Olave fan. I think his floor is high...that's a compliment from me.

Barring injury I think at worst he is a good #2. That's why I'm torn on wanting an edge, IOL, IDL, or WR. Olave to me would be a pretty good bet.

I'm meh on him. Strikes me as another WR who's a stud in college but struggles to transition.

His testing outside speed was really poor.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
KM needs to be better, but so does our WR room. Unless you're arguing that we're set and only need a #4 or something? You're certainly not saying that, right? I mean, no way.
No I'm not...but a cheaper veteran, more meaningful snaps and routes from Moore, and a draft pick could easily fix this situation.

I'm more concerned about the pass rush where the Cardinals are essentially banking on roster replacements.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
This

How much faith do any of us have that he will make the right choices in a draft that is critical to the teams success?
I think it would be hard for him to make a bad choice unless it’s Green.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think he’s the safest WR pick. He makes the plays when you most need himto do so. He’s way gone by 23.
I'm not shocked if Olave goes way sooner than #20....maybe around even #9.

I think Olave ends up with 11,000 career yards. Dude runs good routes for a college receiver.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerry Rice ran a 4.6.

Anquan Boldin ran like a 4.76.

Testing matters so much less than game tape.

40 times are my least concern. It was is other testing that concerns me.

35th percentile height. 15th percentile weight. 14th percentile wingspan. 26th percentile arm length. 12th percentile VJ.

Small, light, short armed WR with small catch radius who can't jump doesn't scream NFL success to me.

Never put up 1000 yards. Was WR3 on Ohio last year and has descended every year. He was WR1 3 years ago. Then WR2 in 2020 and WR3 last year.

Just don't see high 1st round pick.