My Draft Objectives

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you can get solid players in the second round at both IOL and EDGE. The WR class is what is underwhelming for me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jameson Williams would be a ballzy pick. He is what 2 months into recovery from an ACL tear. Would he even play this season???
ACL recoveries happen in 9-10 months routinely now. Yes he very well could play this season.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Totally objective personal wish: If Raimann somehow lasts until 55 and we pick him up, I will forgive Keim all the terrible drafts in the past...
Long gone, lots of buzz on him now. I think late rd 1

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, thanks for your insight. I'll suggest two things:
1. You revisit your list as we get closer to the Draft, and see if you want to make any changes.
2. From your remarks that this is a very tough draft to rank players, after the top 20, I'm thinking that a couple of teams might get lucky with their seventh round picks. Hope we're one of them.

Again, thank you.
I deliberately went very early so no one thinks I just gather stuff from other drafts. If I was trying to predict where people go I’d do that, but I’m saying this is where I think people are worth the pick. I think you’re dead on with round 7 surprises. The Cards should hit on one.

I want to add I think Williams goes round 1, plays this year and is later viewed as one of the best available guys in this draft. As for getting beaten out and transferring, I admire a guy who gets thrown to the curb but instead of feeling sorry for himself proves he was underrated. I like Olave a great deal, but he’s gone by the time the Cards pick.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree, I'd like Zion a lot. Problem is, we have a massive hole at WR I don't see Keim plugging in FA. Other problem is, he sucks at drafting WRs and we have too many holes to fill in the draft. Phew, too many problems!
He's really great at drafting WRs...the wrong ones, but he does like to draft them :mrgreen:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Christian Watson has the look and feel of AJ Green back in the day. He would be an interesting pickup in the 2nd round.

I doubt very much he's there at #55. I think he goes late round 1. I wouldn't take him off the list of possibles at #23.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, I'd like Zion a lot. Problem is, we have a massive hole at WR I don't see Keim plugging in FA. Other problem is, he sucks at drafting WRs and we have too many holes to fill in the draft. Phew, too many problems!

You don't draft a WR2 in round 1 though. We can draft a WR2 with potential to be a future WR1 in round 2.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You don't draft a WR2 in round 1 though. We can draft a WR2 with potential to be a future WR1 in round 2.
Another round 2 WR drafted by Keim? No thanks lol

Just kidding (well, only a little). Stacking weapons around KM, IMO, is our path forward. It's the only way we'll get remotely anywhere unless he changes his entire approach. That's why I'd prefer we emphasize WR over other positions, if a good fit is there, in the 1st round.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m starting to see more & more mocks of us drafting Linderbaum.

I have a fair amount of concerns with Linderbaum, but I’d be okay taking him if Rodney moved back to Guard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m starting to see more & more mocks of us drafting Linderbaum.

I have a fair amount of concerns with Linderbaum, but I’d be okay taking him if Rodney moved back to Guard.
I don't have any concerns other than you are kinda punting year 1 unless the Cardinals feel he can play guard. For me, I like Iowa linemen. I like centers who were wrestlers. I like the leverage that these guys can play with. His snap / step motion seems good. I think having a 10 year C is valuable enough to take a year early.

I also like that I don't know that he needs to be coached up a ton.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't have any concerns other than you are kinda punting year 1 unless the Cardinals feel he can play guard. For me, I like Iowa linemen. I like centers who were wrestlers. I like the leverage that these guys can play with. His snap / step motion seems good. I think having a 10 year C is valuable enough to take a year early.

I also like that I don't know that he needs to be coached up a ton.
I like Iowa linemen, but his frame is concerning even for my liking. He could be another Jason Kelce, but he also could be another Garrett Bradbury.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another round 2 WR drafted by Keim? No thanks lol

Just kidding (well, only a little). Stacking weapons around KM, IMO, is our path forward. It's the only way we'll get remotely anywhere unless he changes his entire approach. That's why I'd prefer we emphasize WR over other positions, if a good fit is there, in the 1st round.
Shoring up our offensive line is a weapon, just not a sexy one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Iowa linemen, but his frame is concerning even for my liking. He could be another Jason Kelce, but he also could be another Garrett Bradbury.
Yeah. I get it. He is at the bottom of the spectrum. Same height and similar weight to Hudson but shorter arms.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry nailed David Johnson when almost nobody else even mentioned him so I'm very intrigued by Walker. he has a pretty ideal lean for a RB too. part of what made everyone skeptical with Johnson is he ran so upright, but Walker, he's got a pretty ideal body lean. Not big but that's what Conner is for. Would hate to have to take a RB that early but he sure does look like a potential game breaker. Ideally he'd last until our 3rd round pick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally the Cards get 2 WRs, 1 OL, 1 DL, 1 Edge & 1 CB.

*Zion Johnson G/C. Could immediately start at G with the added bonus of backing up Hudson at C and possibly being Hudson’s successor.

Devonte Wyatt, DL. More of a 4/3 if used as inside guy. He would help against the run and collapsing the pocket. Could he survive as a NG in a 3/4? That looks marginal to me.

Trevor Penning G/OT. He’s agile enough to play inside, but might not be ideal when pulling. He could possibly also start immediately at RT, but inexperience would hurt a little. He’d eventually transition to LT, where he’d be a tone setter for a mean, tough lineman.

*Jameson Williams WR. He wouldn’t still be here if not for injury. Years ago this injury would stunt a career, but today’s medicine should mean a full recovery. He has top end speed, big catching radius and catches well over the shoulder. A solid deep threat.

Travis Jones DT. Some would mark this a reach. I see it as potential to build a needed talent. He rough, but once polished he’s a quality anchor tackle the Cards need.

Boyd Mafe Edge. A late bloomer, he really came on in the Senior Bowl and indicated a significant upside. This is a big need and he’s likely the best on the board at this spot.

Yikes! Daniel Jeremiah's latest Mock Draft 3.0 has most of these guys gone before the Cards first Pick:

#15 Devonte Wyatt

#17 Trevor Penning

#19 Boye Mafe

#21 Jameson Williams

And some of your second rounders have moved up into his first round:

*Christian Watson WR. If he played at a top school, he’d go in the top 20. He may well be gone by here. He has it all speed, agility, hands and route running precision. N

Logan Hall DL. Incredible agility actually allowed him to play inside against large players. He could still play there in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he’s likely a DE who provide outstanding run defense.

Kingsley Enagbare Edge. This guy can get after a QB. Tons of pressures but not as many sacks as you’d like. With some polish he might grow into a major asset.

*Kenny Walker RB. I know way too early to take a back, but forget generalizations. He has 4.38 speed, is a fine pass receiver and breaks tons of tackles. He’s not your ordinary back. He could not only replace Edmonds, but like Johnson he could be a slot receiver on some downs. He’s a game breaker if he get loose in the secondary.

Jamaree Sayler G. A tackle convert, he’s a ready to go NFL G. He has balance and agility. He’s good in both the rushing game and pass defense. He shows excellent instincts for the game including leverage and defense recognition.

Andrew Booth CB. A fine athlete that needs to gain experience which would occur in the worst situation possible. That said if you and Booth can accept getting best now and then without becoming discourage, the Cards could win big. He might be the best project in the draft. The fact the Cards play a ton of zone would help considerably. Likely gone by now.

Jahan Dotson WR. Super quick first step often gets immediate separation. He shifts gears seamlessly, often throwing defenders off balance. He doesn’t break tackles with strength, but he has those micro moves that make getting a grip on him hard. He’s a truly effective punt returner if he gets even a little space.

Myles Jones CB. Unusual length and height to find in a corner. He’s a very heady player but lacks elite speed. He needs to spend time in the weight room. He’s likely a #2 or slot guy, but he’ll give great effort and be an asset on special teams.

#28 Jahan Dotson

#31 Andrew Booth

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Yikes! Daniel Jeremiah's latest Mock Draft 3.0 has most of these guys gone before the Cards first Pick:

#15 Devonte Wyatt

#17 Trevor Penning

#19 Boye Mafe

#21 Jameson Williams

And some of your second rounders have moved up into his first round:

#28 Jahan Dotson

#31 Andrew Booth
His guess is as good as anyone’s but there are plenty of quality players to go around. He has Travis Jones at 27. I’d be happy with him

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
You’re on a roll, Harry. Keep ‘em coming. Just wondering, but how much do you factor in so-called “leadership and lockerroom intangibles.” Seems to me that when we added a few character veterans, our offense and defense got better. Could leadership traits work equally as well as a predictor for rookie prospects?

Or - are intangibles overrated?
Absolutely, I try to speak with staff or reporters about this. At the least I try to talk with a scout who will share with me. Between Covid and previous guys who’ve lost tons of money, players today are more cautious. If there is a problem it usually comes to light. I don‘t believe intangibles are overrated. The wrong player can destroy a locker room. The Cards have the right vets a the moment. Oddly Murray would be my biggest concern as he doesn’t seem to comprehend the importance of this factor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose