Murray Improvement

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was watching Kurt Warner discuss fixing Dak Prescott’s interception issues. I have often suggest Warner for OC on this board. Apparently he has no interest in the job. I’ve also mentioned how the baseball Cards bring in former veterans to Spring Training to develop players. I’ve suggested the Cards pony up the dollars to get Warner into camp. What Warner was suggesting was simple but I don’t recall seeing it before. He suggested setting up 2 receiver combos and rolling out the QB where he only had to choose between the 2 routes. I think it’s the best first step to using progressions. Murray could also run if he had to do so. I think an OC coming in who tries to completely alter Murray’s style will fail. Improvement is best accomplished incrementally and this is the best approach I’ve heard.

I think Warner owes the Cards and if I‘m Bidwill I’m not afraid to play that card. The Cards resurrected Warmer’s career and made it clear he was a Hall of Fame QB. Pay the money; get him in camp.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad call for MB to make. I doubt if Kurt would be interested, doesn't need the money and if he was going to go into coaching at other than the high school level, to coach his son, he would have already started that journey.

But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m betting he’s throwing the ball by early August. His mobility may leave him not game ready, but I think he’ll be throwing.
I hope you are right. That would be good, he needs to learn the new system that will be installed.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m betting he’s throwing the ball by early August. His mobility may leave him not game ready, but I think he’ll be throwing.
Joe Burrow had surgery Dec 2 2020.
Played week 1 Sep 12 2021

His process for those who care.

Then, getting more specific, he adds, “I just wasn’t accurate as I was the year before [at LSU] down the field. And that was frustrating to me, because I’ve always been a good down-the-field thrower. Just getting back to the basics of that, really focusing on my fundamentals. I just started running and throwing a few weeks ago, so standing and throwing, and focusing on the fundamentals helped.”
Part of that led to a focus on getting stronger through his hips, to give him a shot to get more consistent juice throwing it. And that, as he sees it, worked. “Just getting my hips stronger through my rehab has gotten a ton more velocity on my ball,” he says. “I’ve been very happy with that.”
Last week, during the first OTA practices, the coaches basically replaced the rehab work Burrow was doing and baked it into practices—so Ja’Marr Chase and Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins were catching the balls rather the equipment guys—and played out of empty or without a back on his snaps, so as not to take any unnecessary risk around the knee. And Burrow was also able to take the reins during install, with the team at a walkthrough pace.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Burrow had surgery Dec 2 2020.
Played week 1 Sep 12 2021

His proces for those who care.

For context: Joe Burrow’s game didn’t revolve around him being a mobile QB, who’s instinct is to flee the pocket even when he has one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For context: Joe Burrow’s game didn’t revolve around him being a mobile QB, who’s instinct is to flee the pocket even when he has one.

#1 thing a new coach must fix that will go towards improving various elements of Kylers game is not being a ***** about getting hit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
#1 thing a new coach must fix that will go towards improving various elements of Kylers game is not being a ***** about getting hit.
Get him to play under center. Get him to recognize what a pocket is. Get him to use the pocket. Get him to not throw off his back foot. Get him to tuck the ball while running. Get him to stop sliding short of the first down at the end of comebacks. Get him to hurry up in the hurry up offense. Get him to do a LOT better, in other words.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
both Payton Manning and Brady more or less crumble when the rush gets to them -- i think this is a red herring

Manning and Brady can do it because they throw with timing. Kyler doesnt do it consistently enough. IF he gets good at throwing with timing, the ball is out well before he has to worry about getting hit.

Get him to recognize what a pocket is. Get him to use the pocket.
i really believe that this problem is a 2022 one. When i watch games from 2020 and 2021, he was pushing the ball downfield and making many, many throws from the pocket. Could he be better? yes. But the regression in 2022 is startling

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on improvement, i will throw this in here:

both the Giants and Lions totally rehabilitated QBs who looked broken. A big part of that was better offensive scheme -- but also a big part was offensive line.

for the Giants: three years ago when Hasaan Reddick had 5 sacks -- Andrew Thomas was rookie and looked like a bust. He was a second team all pro this year. Also, last year the Giants had guys in and out of the o-line all year (nobody played 85% of snaps). This year: Thomas, Feliciano and Glowinski (T, G, C) all played 85% of snaps. The other two positions played 65%, and has been stable the last 7 games.

for the Lions: two years ago, Sewell was a rookie, Taylor Decker missed half the year. Frank Ragnow the C only played 25% of snaps. Really only one guard played 85% of snaps. This year: Sewell, Decker and Ragnow played 100% of snaps. The Lions only had to deal with one of the guard positions.

For Murray:

in 2021, for the first 10 games, the OL was in decent shape. Both tackles 95% of snaps. Pugh took 90% of the snaps before getting hurt in week 9. Hudson missed games 6,7 and 8 with Garcia filling in. But after week 10, it really became musical chairs with DJ Hump being the only constant.

for 2022: only Beachum took 90% of snaps. Next was Will Hernandez at 70%.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
both Payton Manning and Brady more or less crumble when the rush gets to them -- i think this is a red herring

Both those guys take hits to make a pass. Brady has 55 QB Hits this year. That's like 3 a game. Kyler has 15 in 10.

Kyler bugs out as soon as he feels the ghost of pressure. Rather than staying in or stepping up in the pocket to make the pass.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both those guys take hits to make a pass. Brady has 55 QB Hits this year. That's like 3 a game. Kyler has 15 in 10.

Kyler bugs out as soon as he feels the ghost of pressure. Rather than staying in or stepping up in the pocket to make the pass.
I think KK dropped the ball on not having more designed rollouts.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think KK dropped the ball on not having more designed rollouts.
Think KK dropped the boat on a hell of a lot of things this was one of many. Nah what am I thinking the everything is Kylers fault crowd ahh never mind…. Thank goodness KK is gone and you better not hire VJ or you might lose a whole bunch of fans…

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose