Mr. & Mrs. Smith (remake series)(Amazon Prime)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some are blasting this in the comments. Not surprised.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like our kind of show. We never watched the previous TV show but we love the Pitt/Jolie movie and the overall concept.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm hesitant about this -- when I hear Donald Glover I think, "great comedian," but I definitely don't think "Action Star".

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant about this -- when I hear Donald Glover I think, "great comedian," but I definitely don't think "Action Star".
Interesting. When I think Glover, I think he’s one of the greatest artists of his generation. He was hilarious as Troy. Pretty incredible as Childish Gambino in, blasting fire with that searing “This Is America” music video that savaged this country’s slavish devotion to guns and violence and Atlanta (outside of a very very rough Season 3) was one of the most out of the box shows I’ve ever seen that veered from comedy to slice of life to flat out horror.

dude can do pretty much anything, IMO and I’m super curious to see what he can do here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Interesting. When I think Glover, I think he’s one of the greatest artists of his generation. He was hilarious as Troy. Pretty incredible as Childish Gambino in, blasting fire with that searing “This Is America” music video that savaged this country’s slavish devotion to guns and violence and Atlanta (outside of a very very rough Season 3) was one of the most out of the box shows I’ve ever seen that veered from comedy to slice of life to flat out horror.

dude can do pretty much anything, IMO and I’m super curious to see what he can do here.
Definitely curious, for sure.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, this doesn't in any way pop. I get that they're trying to land the dry humor vibe, but they landed dry boring. Like, even me typing boring normally is more fun than this show. Maybe boooo-ring would be a more apt description. Shame as Glover is nails as an actor. It was certainly not the acting that failed, however. I stopped mid-episode 2. That says a lot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this doesn't in any way pop. I get that they're trying to land the dry humor vibe, but they landed dry boring. Like, even me typing boring normally is more fun than this show. Maybe boooo-ring would be a more apt description. Shame as Glover is nails as an actor. It was certainly not the acting that failed, however. I stopped mid-episode 2. That says a lot.
I'm not quite as down on it as you but OTOH I've only watched the first episode. I thought it started strong but fell kind of flat after that. Several times throughout the episode I thought they were about to turn it around but it never quite happened. We're going to watch another episode soon but so far it just hasn't been the show we were anticipating.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm not quite as down on it as you but OTOH I've only watched the first episode. I thought it started strong but fell kind of flat after that. Several times throughout the episode I thought they were about to turn it around but it never quite happened. We're going to watch another episode soon but so far it just hasn't been the show we were anticipating.
I liked the tongue in cheek approach for the first ten or so minutes. Then the tone just remained the same. And more of the same. And more of the...so I hoped the second episode would advance that and freshen up while keeping that tone in the background, but...I guess it was kind of like listening to Ben Stein for the entire run of a show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this pretty violent? Trying to give my parents some new options to watch. My mom ain’t big on explosions and blood.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man… the first episode was sloooooooow.

If this is what Glover is doing instead of some truly interesting work on shows like Atlanta, count me as disappointed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… best way to describe the pilot was monotone.

Wish the Phoebe Waller Bridge/Glover pairing had worked.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a slow burn for the first couple episodes. I am just starting Episode 3 and it's starting to pick up.

Question: So, was the opening scene in Episode 1 supposed to be Angelina Jolie and Pitt's characters from the movie? It sure seemed that way. Even down to the scene where she spins the ring on her finger which appeared to be a callback to the movie.

Stout

Reaction score
It's a slow burn for the first couple episodes. I am just starting Episode 3 and it's starting to pick up.

Question: So, was the opening scene in Episode 1 supposed to be Angelina Jolie and Pitt's characters from the movie? It sure seemed that way. Even down to the scene where she spins the ring on her finger which appeared to be a callback to the movie.
So stick around for a few episodes of suck and it will start to get better? Yeah, no.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up liking this a lot once I realized how much the show was a total subversion of the movie, all the way up to the last fifteen minutes of finale. Loved how resolved one subplot, wasn’t crazy how they resolved the A story (though it was better conceptually than in execution) and really wasn’t crazy about the unresolved ending that was wayyyy too schmuckbaity for my tastes.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, am I the only one that got the impression in the first episodes those two characters were supposed to be Bragelina's characters?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, am I the only one that got the impression in the first episodes those two characters were supposed to be Bragelina's characters?
Yes for me. You could read it that way, but I just took it as stunt casting for a shock up top and to show what happens to Smiths in this world when they try to leave. Especially considering all the cameo’s couples/Smiths who came next.

Stout

Reaction score
I ended up liking this a lot once I realized how much the show was a total subversion of the movie, all the way up to the last fifteen minutes of finale. Loved how resolved one subplot, wasn’t crazy how they resolved the A story (though it was better conceptually than in execution) and really wasn’t crazy about the unresolved ending that was wayyyy too schmuckbaity for my tastes.
Glad one of us could get through episodes' worth of boring slog.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m only two episodes in and I’m enjoying it. Maybe bc y’all set such a low bar for it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished. The last episode was fantastic. I don’t know if it’s enough to save the show for me. It’s supposed to be a spy show but there is so many pointless scenes with rambling dialogue. I don’t need it to be mindless but man they went overboard on that throughout.