Moving on from Kyler.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sadly Kyler has now entered into RG3/Wentz level of had a great start and now had a serious knee injury territory.

Obviously not an exact timeline. RG3's flash was in his rookie year. Wentz had a solid season or two after his injury. Neither was quite the same since the injury.

I posted this earlier.
I know I've been down on Kyler lately. Even though I think he has huge potential. However, the sad reality is we might have to move on.

The problem is Kyler is almost too twitchy. He doesnt glide like Lamar, a young Russell Wilson or even Mahomes. That's so much momentum and force he puts on his small frame just to stay alive.

His twitchiness is his superpower. However, his body breaks down because of it. And now we're hoping he can still retain it.

End of the season would be the perfect time for a complete rebuild from top to bottom. Clean house. However, we know Keim isnt going anywhere and he wont put together an Oline (Oline wasnt the fault of the injury) to help a limited mobility Kyler next year.

Just feel trapped and it sucks.

I mean Kyler is all about stride frequency because he doesnt have much stride length. Its why he can seemingly escape any play and yet slower QBs can avoid certain plays that Kyler cant.

I thought I'd feel better that we werent that good this year and Kyler got hurt. Instead I sorta feel worse. Because I have no faith in us building an Oline and a solid running game to make life easier for a limited QB.

The only glass half full take on this Kyler scenario is if the injury forces him to add to his game ala Amare Stoudemire. Otherwise its all downhill.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's time to blow the whole team up for the most part, salvage the players that need to be kept & clean house. Top to bottom. I'm officially done with this season now, I hope we lose every game badly now & Michael Bidwill wakes up. He needs to realize he messed up on the extensions & pay the buyouts, then sign Sean Payton. It's a pipe dream yes but it can happen if Michael Bidwill wants it to.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Feel horrible for Kyler. The balance of the season for me was seeing what he could do with Hop and Brown. Honestly I don’t know where this team goes now but things are bad and the showing tonight was just another embarrassment.
I mean the pieces are there for MAYBE a new GM to come in and retool the roster and get good fast. However, I dont have that faith in Keim to do so. Kyler having a serious injury means next year will be brutal as well.

OT, but kinda remarkable that Joe Burrow led his team (the Bengals of all teams) with a below average Oline to the Super Bowl. Especially right after tearing his knee the year before.

Last edited:

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mean the pieces are there for MAYBE a new GM to come in and retool the roster and get good fast. However, I dont have that faith in Keim to do so. Kyler having a serious injury means next year will be brutal as well.

OT, but kinda remarkable that Joe Burrow led his team (the Bengals of all people) with a below average Oline to the Super Bowl. Especially right after tearing his knee the year before.
Burrow’s unaffected demeanor borders on sociopathy, that’s how he’s able to do it.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stuck with him at least two more years due to the contract extension.
All it takes is one team.

Would the Jets take a flyer on Kyler cause they are sick of Zach Wilson?

I mean the Browns cut Baker and gave up draft capital for Deshaun Watson even though he didnt play for a year and was facing a suspension. You never know.

It just feels like now is the time to find a buyer (or someone desperate).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All it takes is one team.

Would the Jets take a flyer on Kyler cause they are sick of Zach Wilson?

I mean the Browns cut Baker and gave up draft capital for Deshaun Watson even though he didnt play for a year and was facing a suspension. You never know.

It just feels like now is the time to find a buyer (or someone desperate).

I'm not a capologist, but I think the bonuses in his contract make him virtually untradeable. We'd have like 150 million in dead cap and there is no way to get out of that aspect for the next couple years.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a capologist, but I think the bonuses in his contract make him virtually untradeable. We'd have like 150 million in dead cap and there is no way to get out of that aspect for the next couple years.
Thats fair. Didnt even look into that. Just thought about how Watson got traded a year/well 2 years after his big deal.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We just need a coach that believes he can fix Kyler once he heals. I truly believe that coach is Sean Payton, Michael Bidwill just needs to have the balls to hire him. A big part of any coach coming here though will be how Kyler heals & how skittish he is fearing injury once again. There's so many unknowns with this team after tonight it's sickening really.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We just need a coach that believes he can fix Kyler once he heals. I truly believe that coach is Sean Payton, Michael Bidwill just needs to have the balls to hire him. A big part of any coach coming here though will be how Kyler heals & how skittish he is fearing injury once again. There's so many unknowns with this team after tonight it's sickening really.
I think the Kyler injury deads the Sean Payton talk. Not sure why he would walk into a situation unstable at QB. Unless Kyler is one of those guys who heals in 9 months.

The6

All Star
Reaction score
Roll out the army tanks. This season was over before it started.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Kyler injury deads the Sean Payton talk. Not sure why he would walk into a situation unstable at QB. Unless Kyler is one of those guys who heals in 9 months.
Didn't even think about that. I guess let's hope the ACL isn't totally destroyed & then Sean Payton would still consider coming because of Kyler?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize Kyler's legs are more important to him than Burrow but literally Burrow tore his ACL and MCL in late November and was back starting game 1 the next year.

If Kyler is just the ACL, and he's a fast healer, which we have no idea, he's only 3 weeks behind the schedule of Burrow.

Now Burrow if more of a pocket passer but the point is you CAN come back that quickly, it's just not a guarantee. To be back to full Kyler Murray yeah that's going to take longer.

But I can see him playing 12-13 games next season if rehab goes well.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I realize Kyler's legs are more important to him than Burrow but literally Burrow tore his ACL and MCL in late November and was back starting game 1 the next year.

If Kyler is just the ACL, and he's a fast healer, which we have no idea, he's only 3 weeks behind the schedule of Burrow.

Now Burrow if more of a pocket passer but the point is you CAN come back that quickly, it's just not a guarantee. To be back to full Kyler Murray yeah that's going to take longer.

But I can see him playing 12-13 games next season if rehab goes well.
What's messed up is the mental aspect. He was already fearful of taking hits, now he's gonna be fearful of planting, cutting & injuring it again. His speed will also be a concern, what if his speed isn't there? It probably won't be imo.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What's messed up is the mental aspect. He was already fearful of taking hits, now he's gonna be fearful of planting, cutting & injuring it again. His speed will also be a concern, what if his speed isn't there? It probably won't be imo.
The thing about Kyler is his fear of contact sometimes puts him in harms way. He'd rather run into a sack instead of taking a hit while trying to release the ball.

Like I said earlier. Maybe this can be an Amare situation where he's forced to add to his game. Ups his anticipation and starts sliding more in the pocket to find throwing lanes. Will Keim get him the Oline though?

And for Kyer can fight off his instincts? All his life he's been one of the smaller guys on the field so its 2nd nature to want to protect himself - flight. Will he still try to bail even if his legs wont let him.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing about Kyler is his fear of contact sometimes puts him in harms way. He'd rather run into a sack instead of taking a hit while trying to release the ball.

Like I said earlier. Maybe this can be an Amare situation where he's forced to add to his game. Ups his anticipation and starts sliding more in the pocket to find throwing lanes. Will Keim get him the Oline though?

And for Kyer can fight off his instincts? All his life he's been one of the smaller guys on the field so its 2nd nature to want to protect himself - flight. Will he still try to bail even if his legs wont let him.
Good questions Sooner. Maybe he'll be hell bent on the rehab so he doesn't lose that speed? Maybe even get back faster?

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good questions Sooner. Maybe he'll be hell bent on the rehab so he doesn't lose that speed? Maybe even get back faster?
His personal trainer is really good. I think the year Kyler came back faster/stronger in 2020 it was from spending the entire offseason in Texas with him.

However, rehab is a different deal and every player's knee is different. Will be interesting to follow.

I agree with @Russ Smith about the Cardinals field always seems kinda crappy this time of year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It kills all competent HC talk. IMO this injury saves Kliff's job. There's nobody else taking this job that is an upgrade on Kliff with a huge question mark hanging over Kyler's health.

Fire Keim and start rebuilding from there. Let the new GM have a year of working with Kliff to assess.

Last edited: