Morris Trade Options?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
dude... you go back and find threads pumping up Jackson "Abe" Vroman as a major sleeper pick... or people touting DJ Strawberry as the key to shutting down Ginobli back in the day. objectivity about Suns players ain't the board's strongest suit.

I think there was a lot of league buzz about Morris last year. IMO the guy has talent and he was a lotto pick. The players you mentioned were widely viewed as fringe guys.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Knight, Weems, Morris for Joe Johnson, Chris McCullough and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson + 2020 Brooklyn First Round Pick

It is a little bit light as we only get capspace in return and Hollis-Jefferson is a career PJ Tucker imo, Chris McCullough is a total wild card that has not yet played in the NBA due to his ACL injury in college. But it has the nice side-effect that Brooklyn is surely going to win some more games coupled with the easiest remaining schedule in the league.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No.

The Knight trade will look brilliant in hindsight if the Lakers pick is not turned over this year and the Lakers are tanking hard for this to not be the case.

I think the Lakers are firmly locked in as the worst or second worst team this season.

But there is no way the Lakers will be so bad again. Even if they do not get Durant they will throw max at Whiteside and other good FAs this offseason. There is no way they will allow themselves to be this bad without a draft pick.

There are two scenarios

Scenario A - Lakers give up a #4 or #5 pick this year to Philly, chances are less than 50/50

Scenario B - Lakers give up a maybe #8-16 pick next year to Philly.

In scenario B you are likely happy to have Brandon Knight.

Its so funny how many people love that Laker pick. They are fans of the pick and faithful to that pick. Odd love affair, especially when we don't even know when it will be yet.

I do think the Lakers will be better next year. Their young stars will be more mature, they will add a decent free agent (Kobe is gone), and Kobe is gone. Kobe is stunting the development of that team. Once he is out of the way, someone else will come in and prosper. The situation is set of for Miami style convergence of free agents. They have potentially more than $30 million in cap space.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its so funny how many people love that Laker pick. They are fans of the pick and faithful to that pick. Odd love affair, especially when we don't even know when it will be yet.

It may work out for us but what a stupid position to be in; to have wait and see - for years - whether we screwed it up or not.

And does anyone want to bet the house down that we'll come out on top in this trade? Didn't think so.

I suppose we get the 'benefit' of knight's services in the mean time but that's surely debatable.

No. 7 below - smh.

https://once.unicornmedia.com/now/a...612598&UMADPARAMcsid=espn:clips:twittermobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It may work out for us but what a stupid position to be in; to have wait and see - for years - whether we screwed it up or not.

And does anyone want to bet the house down that we'll come out on top in this trade? Didn't think so.

I suppose we get the 'benefit' of knight's services in the mean time but that's surely debatable.

No. 7 below - smh.

https://once.unicornmedia.com/now/a...612598&UMADPARAMcsid=espn:clips:twittermobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. If Knight was actually good then this isn't really an issue. But at this point I would probably take even a late lottery pick over what Knight brings to the table.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Knight played the best basketball of his life in November. After when the Suns started to struggle, he also went down especially when Bledsoe injured and the Suns quickly became the worst NBA team.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Knight played the best basketball of his life in November. After when the Suns started to struggle, he also went down especially when Bledsoe injured and the Suns quickly became the worst NBA team.

He was playing pretty well until he re-injured his ankle in early December. Whether or not that's the real reason for his decline, I don't know, but he hasn't been the same player since. He doesn't drive as often nor with as much confidence and power and he's far more likely to settle for the first bad shot the defense gives him. I know he's always had a reputation for taking a bad shot or two each game but for the past 7 weeks that seems like his bread and butter move. And how can you not love his fallback 22 foot jumper?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If Knight was actually good then this isn't really an issue. But at this point I would probably take even a late lottery pick over what Knight brings to the table.

No thanks. I don't want to wait years hoping the Suns get lucky with a late lottery pick.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No thanks. I don't want to wait years hoping the Suns get lucky with a late lottery pick.

I'd rather have that Lakers pick back than Knight but I think it's absurd to think he has no more value than a late lottery pick. I'd like the original pick back if for no other reason than to use it in a trade, I'm just not thrilled with the value we got from it. But on my end that's all hindsight. Just reading about his exploits and the comments from other players I thought we made out like bandits in that trade. Unfortunately we've seen little of that "should have made the All Star game" player that we thought we traded for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather have that Lakers pick back than Knight but I think it's absurd to think he has no more value than a late lottery pick. I'd like the original pick back if for no other reason than to use it in a trade, I'm just not thrilled with the value we got from it. But on my end that's all hindsight. Just reading about his exploits and the comments from other players I thought we made out like bandits in that trade. Unfortunately we've seen little of that "should have made the All Star game" player that we thought we traded for.

Let's see what the Suns get in return if they trade Knight. I have this feeling the Suns may include him in a trade. IMO, it never made sense to play Bledsoe and Knight together. Also Knight plays like a SG and the Suns should have enough talent there with Booker and hopefully Bogdanovic.

In regards to keeping the Lakers pick, for better or worse, I have trusted McDonough's player personnel decisions.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's see what the Suns get in return if they trade Knight. I have this feeling the Suns may include him in a trade. IMO, it never made sense to play Bledsoe and Knight together. Also Knight plays like a SG and the Suns should have enough talent there with Booker and hopefully Bogdanovic.

In regards to keeping the Lakers pick, for better or worse, I have trusted McDonough's player personnel decisions.

I think we trade Markieff and maybe Tucker and that's where it stops. Next year hopefully we'll be starting something like Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Simmons and Len and backing them up with Knight, Bogdanovic, Goodwin, Henry Ellenson and Chandler. I'd like to see what we can do without starting 3 players that don't know how to put the ball in the basket.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we trade Markieff and maybe Tucker and that's where it stops. Next year hopefully we'll be starting something like Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Simmons and Len and backing them up with Knight, Bogdanovic, Goodwin, Henry Ellenson and Chandler. I'd like to see what we can do without starting 3 players that don't know how to put the ball in the basket.

It"s one thing to get lucky and draft Simmons but how you acquire another top5-8 pick and draft Ellenson?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It"s one thing to get lucky and draft Simmons but how you acquire another top5-8 pick and draft Ellenson?

I didn't realize Ellenson was that highly thought of. I'd seen him in the 20's in a couple of mock drafts but perhaps I've just been looking at the wrong ones.

I just checked and I see he's now at 7, 18 and 22 in the mocks that come up first for me (draftexpress, hoopshype and nbadraft.net). So maybe he falls to one of the two lower spots and we throw in a future pick to move up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He was playing pretty well until he re-injured his ankle in early December. Whether or not that's the real reason for his decline, I don't know, but he hasn't been the same player since. He doesn't drive as often nor with as much confidence and power and he's far more likely to settle for the first bad shot the defense gives him. I know he's always had a reputation for taking a bad shot or two each game but for the past 7 weeks that seems like his bread and butter move. And how can you not love his fallback 22 foot jumper?

An injured ankle shouldn't have an effect on his brain and that's probably the biggest knock on Knight. An ankle issue would limit his quickness, speed etc but personally I don't care about that. Its his incredibly, super low basketball IQ that's the issue.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An injured ankle shouldn't have an effect on his brain and that's probably the biggest knock on Knight. An ankle issue would limit his quickness, speed etc but personally I don't care about that. Its his incredibly, super low basketball IQ that's the issue.

I don't understand why he's so adamant about being a PG. He's not and that has been the issue that's followed him in Detroit, Milwaukee, and now Phoenix. Detroit traded him for Jennings because they wanted more of a PG. If Jennings is considered a better PG than you then chances are you're not a PG at all. I think if he accepted he's a SG that can fill in at PG he would be better. It's not like he tries to force passes or is a really unselfish pass first player either. I'd like to know who he thinks his game resembles. His biggest issue is his low basketball IQ, which can only be corrected by himself.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't realize Ellenson was that highly thought of. I'd seen him in the 20's in a couple of mock drafts but perhaps I've just been looking at the wrong ones.

I just checked and I see he's now at 7, 18 and 22 in the mocks that come up first for me (draftexpress, hoopshype and nbadraft.net). So maybe he falls to one of the two lower spots and we throw in a future pick to move up.

Yes, I like Ellenson pretty much as a prospect and I think that he is a surefire top10 pick and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he will be drafted at #4-5.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His moves are premeditated. He'll pass when he has the lane wide open, he'll drive when shooters are open, and he'll shoot when covered.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So Suns have received offers of 1st round pick from teams but that's not enough? Kidding me? I would easily take that for Markieff!

I agree. Morris is a cancer. Cutting him off is an addition by subtraction, and anything the Suns can get in return is an icing on the cake.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Suns have received offers of 1st round pick from teams but that's not enough? Kidding me? I would easily take that for Markieff!

I'm hoping this is what makes McDonough a good GM. We shall see as the trade deadline nears.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

If they're picks from the Cavs, Spurs, or Warriors, it wouldn't be enough. Multiple picks from them, maybe.

I don't like McD, but let's see what transpires by Thursday.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they're picks from the Cavs, Spurs, or Warriors, it wouldn't be enough. Multiple picks from them, maybe.

I don't like McD, but let's see what transpires by Thursday.

NOt playing till then anyway, so what can it hurt?