Morris Trade Options?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Not sure what the Cavs have to offer for Kieff at this point other than the trade exception or Mozgov's expiring contract.

Everybody wants somethin for nothin especially from the Suns.
GMs aren't going to offer much in a trade and risk looking like they go the short end of the deal.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is that going to be worth? For the next few years at least it will be at the end of the first round.

That's what they got for IT and IT is a much, much better player than Kieff.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There is no real reason for us to force a Morris trade.

a) season is lost anyway
b) options of what to achieve with the possible additional free capspace in the offseason are slim to none
c) from all we know Morris is still liked by his teammates
d) other teams are possibly lowballing us
e) if Morris wants out eventually he will start playing better because else we are not going to trade him

It would be stupid by McD to let other teams lowball us. Everyone knows Morris will play a lot better than what he is doing for us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no real reason for us to force a Morris trade.

a) season is lost anyway
b) options of what to achieve with the possible additional free capspace in the offseason are slim to none
c) from all we know Morris is still liked by his teammates
d) other teams are possibly lowballing us
e) if Morris wants out eventually he will start playing better because else we are not going to trade him

It would be stupid by McD to let other teams lowball us. Everyone knows Morris will play a lot better than what he is doing for us.

Exactly. Also, the impending court case makes his value lower right now. Once that is out of the picture it will be easier to deal him.

If we were really competing for a playoff spot, it might make sense to dump him. But right now, there is no point until we get what we want.

Meanwhile, you have to play him enough minutes to keep him in basketball shape in case a playoff team decides they need a little depth. Chicago might be a candidate with the injury to Noah.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm concerned that the terrible play by Morris and Tucker (in particular) may corrupt what Booker and Warren think of the organization. Right now the Suns are simply not putting forth an effort that can be called NBA-standard. I pity Booker, who has achieved his lifelong goal of making it to the NBA, and now has to be in shock at how little the players care or take their craft seriously. Someone on the coaching staff should be pulling him aside on a regular basis and saying, "I'm sorry, I know this is terrible, the league isn't like this, really."

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm concerned that the terrible play by Morris and Tucker (in particular) may corrupt what Booker and Warren think of the organization. Right now the Suns are simply not putting forth an effort that can be called NBA-standard. I pity Booker, who has achieved his lifelong goal of making it to the NBA, and now has to be in shock at how little the players care or take their craft seriously. Someone on the coaching staff should be pulling him aside on a regular basis and saying, "I'm sorry, I know this is terrible, the league isn't like this, really."

This is my fear as well. If Morris can influence guys like Booker & Warren and convince them that the organization doesn't care about or respect the players, they too could become disgruntled or on the flip side they see the lack of discipline these guys display and feel they can can use that as an excuse if they need to, nothing brings down morale like losing and keeping toxic personalities in the locker room.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they just have to get rid of him asap. season is lost and he'll never come around for us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a fair criticism. Is it a necessary aspect of tanking and one of the reasons why tanking is so bad for a team and the league as a whole? Everyone on the team knows that they are not winning anything this year. Consistent 20 point losses, even to the league's worst teams, is clearly below even the talent level of this bunch. I guess that is the real problem. There is too much talent here to tank effectively and give effort at the same time. The problem is not confined to just Markieff Morris.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is a fair criticism. Is it a necessary aspect of tanking and one of the reasons why tanking is so bad for a team and the league as a whole? Everyone on the team knows that they are not winning anything this year. Consistent 20 point losses, even to the league's worst teams, is clearly below even the talent level of this bunch. I guess that is the real problem. There is too much talent here to tank effectively and give effort at the same time. The problem is not confined to just Markieff Morris.

If "tanking" means just standing around and letting people blow by you, or jacking up the first bad shot that you see, over and over, then you can't allow it. It will poison the entire roster and no one will be able to make the transition to being good.

There are lots of ways to underperform while still establishing good long-term habits. Maybe a critical play gets drawn up for a player who isn't ready to handle the pressure yet. Maybe the coaching staff tries to implement a defensive scheme that requires superb court awareness that the players don't have. Maybe you make it a priority to get P. J. Tucker the ball in the post, knowing that the most likely result is a turnover and the second most likely result is an out-of-control layup attempt, followed by pleading for a whistle.

There's losing because you don't have the talent to win games, there's losing because you have a faulty game plan, and then there's losing because you simply don't care. The effort has been appallingly lacking. That's the bigger concern. This losing streak has featured some of the worst basketball I've ever seen played by a team calling itself the Phoenix Suns. If the other team is better, there's no shame in losing; but the whole organization should be ashamed and embarrassed about what has been happening over the last few weeks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no reason why the Suns can't be competitive in most of their games. IMO, the Suns have enough talent even with the loss of Bledsoe. However, this Suns team doesn't seem to be putting out the effort. They seem like a disorganized lot.

It's hard for me to believe Markieff can be the source of all these problems. If the Suns trade him, I do not think the Suns will suddenly improve. It would likely be best to trade Markieff around draft time if necessary. Also his court case may be over then. The worst case scenario the Suns have a Josh Childress type contract on their hands. So keep Markieff until the off season unless something develops by the trade deadline.

In regard to tanking, it sure gives the appearance. The players are not giving any defensive effort. It seems to have already infected the roster. I don't see how the Suns hope to attract free agents with the disrespect former players have expressed towards the organization.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe Markieff can be the source of all these problems. If the Suns trade him, I do not think the Suns will suddenly improve.
As overseascardfan posted, it is not about improving. It is about Markeiff Morris (and the ties with his twin, from a distance) poisoning the minds of our young players of the future.

If, as he also posted, Morris can influence guys like Booker & Warren and convince them that the organization doesn't care about or respect the players, nothing brings down morale like losing and KEEPING TOXIC PERSONALITIES IN THE CLUBHOUSE.

For that alone, the Suns should suspend him for the rest of the season.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As overseascardfan posted, it is not about improving. It is about Markeiff Morris (and the ties with his twin, from a distance) poisoning the minds of our young players of the future.

If, as he also posted, Morris can influence guys like Booker & Warren and convince them that the organization doesn't care about or respect the players, nothing brings down morale like losing and KEEPING TOXIC PERSONALITIES IN THE CLUBHOUSE.

If you mean they should do it IF they have proof that he's sabotaging the team I agree. But if you mean we should do it on the possibility that he is, I don't think we can take that kind of step.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think you can't suspend a player indefinitely without a CBA approved reason. I thought the Suns might be building a case towards that end when he was suspended for throwing a towel towards Hornacek.

However, I've wondered if the Suns could send Markieff home (something like the Bulls did with Tim Thomas) until he can be traded. The name Tim Thomas has a familiar ring but even the Suns would not cough up enough money to re-sign him.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't think you can't suspend a player indefinitely without a CBA approved reason. I thought the Suns might be building a case towards that end when he was suspended for throwing a towel towards Hornacek.

However, I've wondered if the Suns could send Markieff home (something like the Bulls did with Tim Thomas) until he can be traded. The name Tim Thomas has a familiar ring but even the Suns would not cough up enough money to re-sign him.

Honestly I wish the Suns had the balls to just buy him out and be done with it, similar to Detroit and Josh Smith last season. If I remember correctly, they even rattled off a long win streak after they did that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I wish the Suns had the balls to just buy him out and be done with it, similar to Detroit and Josh Smith last season. If I remember correctly, they even rattled off a long win streak after they did that.

I think buying out Markieff is the worst case scenario. He would likely finish the season with a contender and then perhaps get a better contract next season with another team, all the while keeping the Suns money. I would rather sit Markieff at home for the rest of his contract if he cannot be traded but it is not my money.

My guess is the Suns will package Markieff in trade or wait for a playoff team to lose a player to injury. Also the Suns might trade him for an expiring contract and something else.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Horrible, horrible idea. Its like rewarding him for bad behavior. It hurts the team alot too. That's like paying off a kidnapper or terrorist. Sometimes teams cannot take a hardline stand because they have to compete. These Suns don't have that worry.

Who knows what is going on in the club house right now anyway. There is no indication that the environment is toxic at the moment. They are just tanking.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Horrible, horrible idea. Its like rewarding him for bad behavior. It hurts the team alot too. That's like paying off a kidnapper or terrorist. Sometimes teams cannot take a hardline stand because they have to compete. These Suns don't have that worry.

Who knows what is going on in the club house right now anyway. There is no indication that the environment is toxic at the moment. They are just tanking.

You're right in that we don't know what's going on in the locker room but you think the players are okay with losing (tanking)? I'd have too much pride and wouldn't like to be a laughing stock. That would make me not want to give a damn if I'm wasting my season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You're right in that we don't know what's going on in the locker room but you think the players are okay with losing (tanking)? I'd have too much pride and wouldn't like to be a laughing stock. That would make me not want to give a damn if I'm wasting my season.
I'm afraid you don't understand the millennial culture.

sent from a fone

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm afraid you don't understand the millennial culture.

sent from a fone

Won't the new NBA be fun? We will find a way to have trophies for everyone.

Championship
Best offense
Best defense
Best old team
Best young team
Sportsmanship award
Aggressiveness award (most techs)
Nicest team
Nastiest team
Best attendance (least games lost to injuries)

Everyone can hold up their own trophy and every fan base can be proud.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Won't the new NBA be fun? We will find a way to have trophies for everyone.

Championship
Best offense
Best defense
Best old team
Best young team
Sportsmanship award
Aggressiveness award (most techs)
Nicest team
Nastiest team
Best attendance (least games lost to injuries)

Everyone can hold up their own trophy and every fan base can be proud.
So sad.

sent from a fone

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Morris needs to be let go but when I say that I mean the team, and some of the fans, need to realize Markieff isn't going to net any quality assets in a trade. They shouldn't buy him out but moving him for an expiring deal is probably the best they can hope for. They might be able to get a young unproven talent in return also, either option is better long term for the Suns than keeping him. His attitude towards the team won't change. He won't suddenly become a model citizen or elevate his play to what it was before this season. Tanking or not, keeping Morris around isn't benefitting anyone or either party (Morris' camp & the Suns organization).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Morris needs to be let go but when I say that I mean the team, and some of the fans, need to realize Markieff isn't going to net any quality assets in a trade. They shouldn't buy him out but moving him for an expiring deal is probably the best they can hope for. They might be able to get a young unproven talent in return also, either option is better long term for the Suns than keeping him. His attitude towards the team won't change. He won't suddenly become a model citizen or elevate his play to what it was before this season. Tanking or not, keeping Morris around isn't benefitting anyone or either party (Morris' camp & the Suns organization).
My guess is that the Cavs believe they can get him for the trade exception and a second rounder.

sent from a fone

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can anyone who thinks we shouldn't just dump Morris in any kind of addition by subtraction move actually tell me WHY/WHAT kind of scenario there is that he actually improves his value at all moving forward? He's not going to all of a sudden play hard and get a sense of professionalism, which only means the longer we wait to deal him, the better the chance that a) his cancer infects other players and b) people's memory of him as a decent player fade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My guess is that the Cavs believe they can get him for the trade exception and a second rounder.

sent from a fone

I would take that. Cleveland is one of the few teams the Suns might be able to get a 1st rounder in return, only because as long as Lebron is there it won't be a very high pick. Markieff is surely better for the Cavs than any player they add who is picked at the end of the 1st.

I know the Suns already own Cleveland's 1st this year though from the IT trade last season. Considering Cleveland isn't losing a player they should be more willing to part with a future 1st or a couple of 2nd rounders, since those hold little value as is and even less when they're in the 50th overall range. I don't think Markieff deserves to go to a contender but that's just more reason to root against the Cavs in the playoffs. I wonder if he'd get away with being "injured" each time they face the Pistons like he's been this year for the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard