Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If Monty hated Ayton, he’s going to have a blast with Bagley…..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was giving him a legit excuse (always understood he had to do what he did) but based on what yall saying it should have worked. Why not?

This past season, the Suns clearly strayed from 3 X 5 and it showed.

I can't really say James Jones has had a 3 X 5 roster since he has been here. The 2021-22 roster was close.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wonder how the Monty and Book relationship will be when we play Detroit. Book is a native Michigander with the coach he went to the Finals with now coaching his home state team.

I simply say this because we know Book is extremely competitive and a definite talker lol. I’d assume it’d be cordial but you never know.

Wishing Monty the best of luck in his endeavors.
I don't think Monty is much of a trash talker. Plus, it's not fun to trash talk nice people. It just feels awkward.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is classy all the way. He saved Mat Ishbia over $20 million by taking the Pistons job.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Monty could have easily sit back and waited for another job. I think many coaches would have.

Instead, he chose to work for his money.

Lol...This made me spit out my drink!!

That $20 mil would have been stretched out 20 years. Now he gets that back little over a year years because he has to work since social security ain't enough to offset the difference. Lol.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Monty could have easily sit back and waited for another job. I think many coaches would have.

Instead, he chose to work for his money.
Mainstreet - you're aware he just signed a contract that can go up to 100M. I can assure you that Ishbia's finances were zero part of the decision process.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainstreet - you're aware he just signed a contract that can go up to 100M. I can assure you that Ishbia's finances were zero part of the decision process.

No matter how you want to paint the picture and for whatever reason, Monty's decision to take the job with the Pistons saved Mat Ishbia nearly $20 million.

Also, you might want to look Monty's situation with the Suns from this perspective... at least for a moment.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No matter how you want to paint the picture and for whatever reason, Monty's decision to take the job with the Pistons saved Mat Ishbia nearly $20 million.
Yes- but you're painting it as some sort of generous gesture on Monty's part. If Monty said after he was fired that he wouldn't accept any more money from the Suns, irrespective of him being hired, yes that would be a classy move to help the Suns.

That's not what happened - Monty signed a contract before that said he could get a new job if fired, but couldn't collect the money the Suns owed. He wanted a new job (and the up to 100M contract!) so he signed the deal. None of this points to doing the Suns a solid.
Also, you might want to look Monty's situation with the Suns from this perspective... at least for a moment.

Uh, why?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I already said Monty wants money just like everyone else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes- but you're painting it as some sort of generous gesture on Monty's part. If Monty said after he was fired that he wouldn't accept any more money from the Suns, irrespective of him being hired, yes that would be a classy move to help the Suns.

That's not what happened - Monty signed a contract before that said he could get a new job if fired, but couldn't collect the money the Suns owed. He wanted a new job (and the up to 100M contract!) so he signed the deal. None of this points to doing the Suns a solid.

Uh, why?

Why do you go out of your way to make an issue out of it?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why do you go out of your way to make an issue out of it?
An issue out of what? Your mischaracterization of the situation? Obviously you and I feel differently about it, that's ok! I just questioned your characterization of the situation as a classy move by Monty.

Nothing about him deciding to take another lucrative job indicates he was trying to help the Suns out, zero.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An issue out of what? Your mischaracterization of the situation? Obviously you and I feel differently about it, that's ok! I just questioned your characterization of the situation as a classy move by Monty.

Nothing about him deciding to take another lucrative job indicates he was trying to help the Suns out, zero.

I see you want the last word, so fine. However, there were other scenarios that could have played out.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
A new team in the running for CP3 emerges...... I'll take Bogdanovic and something please!