Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the time machine (but the Nuggets aren't the only team that would block our goal IMO). Anyway, had we traded Saric, Crowder, CamJ and 2 future unprotected picks, with Mikal and 2 tradable picks still available we'd have had a small chance to get there this next season. Had we traded Bridges, Crowder, Saric and CamJ but no picks, we'd have had a small chance to get there this season. Had we kept the roster as is, we'd have had a small chance to move some players and picks in the offseason to get there.

Somehow, the Suns got locked on the premise they had to trade for Durant at any cost to win a championship. There were other paths that might have taken them to the same destination.

This summer, we are going to see a lot of them play out while the Suns watch on the sidelines.

I was never against trading for Durant but I would have completely stopped the conversation when Mikal Bridge's name was mentioned.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yup, like trading away the majority of the roster that swept that Nuggets team in 2021.
Teams win, role players get overpaid and leave, guys get content, guys age/injure out...so much changes year to year.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the we should have traded Monty and Shamet to the sixers comments yet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the we should have traded Monty and Shamet to the sixers comments yet.

Sixers? I did actually question the timing of firing him if he was so in demand. A good GM could have received something in return.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sixers? I did actually question the timing of firing him if he was so in demand. A good GM could have received something in return.
Totally different scenario. Monty wanted to be here and this wasn't a contract situation like we have seen in the past where that played out or plays out in other sports.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally different scenario. Monty wanted to be here and this wasn't a contract situation like we have seen in the past where that played out or plays out in other sports.

Not entirely. We saw the Suns weren't in a rush to hire a head coach and had no one in particular planned to take over for Monty. A good GM puts out feelers to see if another team wants Monty before firing him outright. I'm not saying we could have received a lotto pick but a second rounder from Detroit would have value.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not entirely. We saw the Suns weren't in a rush to hire a head coach and had no one in particular planned to take over for Monty. A good GM puts out feelers to see if another team wants Monty before firing him outright. I'm not saying we could have received a lotto pick but a second rounder from Detroit would have value.

I don’t think you can trade a coach without their consent and I don’t see Monty agreeing to be traded when he knows he’s getting axed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think of another coaching scenario where a coach was about to get fired and was traded for picks. All the scenarios I can think of were because of contract disputes or a coach wanting out of their contract. The comment about a good GM would have gotten something out of this scenario doesn't make sense. Monty wanted to be here. You can't shop Monty like a basketball player. Monty has a choice where he goes. He has to want to go.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't think of another coaching scenario where a coach was about to get fired and was traded for picks. All the scenarios I can think of were because of contract disputes or a coach wanting out of their contract. The comment about a good GM would have gotten something out of this scenario doesn't make sense. Monty wanted to be here. You can't shop Monty like a basketball player. Monty has a choice where he goes. He has to want to go.

Doc Rivers to LA. Boston was rebuilding and got a 1st from the Clippers. So it has happened. You can shop coaches. Monty just got a contract extension.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doc Rivers to LA. Boston was rebuilding and got a 1st from the Clippers. So it has happened. You can shop coaches. Monty just got a contract extension.
You cannot shop coaches who want to stay. You cannot shop coaches without their consent on where they are willing to go unlike most players. This would have been a total shock to Monty. Word was he was going to take this year off after the Suns but changed his mind when giving the largest contract in NBA history. Doc was a willing participant in that scenario and was not in the dark.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think Boston shopped him, I think the Clippers approached the Celtics.

Also, there was no chance the Celtics were going to fire Rivers.

Monty would never have agreed to be traded.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got any type of link or anything? Because I never heard anything about that
I've heard it too but I have no clue how reliable it is. Although I'm doubtful it's in error, I'm hoping it is pure fabrication on the off chance that we can get a multi-team trade going that reunites CP3 with Monty in Detroit.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I've heard it too but I have no clue how reliable it is. Although I'm doubtful it's in error, I'm hoping it is pure fabrication on the off chance that we can get a multi-team trade going that reunites CP3 with Monty in Detroit.
Again, I'd like to see some shred of anything because all I saw was a CP3 wearing street clothes still participating in the huddles and such along with one Monty Williams

I honestly don't see why people feel the need to make up **** just to fit their narrative, one day Monty is an evil control freak next day he's too soft with the players

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I'd like to see some shred of anything because all I saw was a CP3 wearing street clothes still participating in the huddles and such along with one Monty Williams

I honestly don't see why people feel the need to make up **** just to fit their narrative, one day Monty is an evil control freak next day he's too soft with the players
So you're saying he's bipolar and off his medications? I don't know him well enough to comment on this one.;)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I saw the same claims last year about Monty and Paul not talking but never from a reliable source. It was pushed as gospel by a few posters but again, never substantiated. I'd like to see some proof. I believe the same who pushed that narrative also said Monty and Paul hated each other when Paul was acquired but could be wrong on that. I do know that was another thing tossed out as a reason not to do the Paul trade a few years back and it gained some more traction when Paul was a free agent of sorts and redid his deal here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it on a podcast. I watch Youtube podcasts, so I rarely have text to post.

Perhaps the next time around, you might consider posting the link for the YouTube podcast and the time of the comments.

I watch a bunch of that stuff too, especially when I want more information.