Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I see you want the last word, so fine. However, there were other scenarios that could have played out.
Lol. You literally asked him a question, mainstreet, and then you call out his response as “wanting the last word.” Please tell me you see the irony there. . .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's no surprise Monty was in demand. If JJ was a good GM he would have floated the idea we might move in a different direction and see if he could possibly get a draft pick from another team for Monty before canning him. Clearly we didn't have his replacement lined up and ready to go so I'm not sure why they didn't delay it a little to see if they could get something out of it, even a 2nd rounder. A 2nd rounder from Detroit would be like a late 1st.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's no surprise Monty was in demand. If JJ was a good GM he would have floated the idea we might move in a different direction and see if he could possibly get a draft pick from another team for Monty before canning him. Clearly we didn't have his replacement lined up and ready to go so I'm not sure why they didn't delay it a little to see if they could get something out of it, even a 2nd rounder. A 2nd rounder from Detroit would be like a late 1st.
Hadn't considered that angle, but at this point, we have nothing but time this summer. I wonder if they really put all their eggs in the Lue basket, and are scrambling.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The delay in hiring Kevin Young doesn't make a lot of sense unless a big name coach is still in play.

However, there could be an alternative. Could the Suns be waiting for an assistant coach like Kenny Atkinson to become available as an assistant coach for Kevin Young. Atkinson might be waiting to be eliminated as a head coach option.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The delay in hiring Kevin Young doesn't make a lot of sense unless a big name coach is still in play.

However, there could be an alternative. Could the Suns be waiting for an assistant coach like Kenny Atkinson to become available as an assistant coach for Kevin Young. Atkinson might be waiting to be eliminated as a head coach option.

Durant already got Atkinson fired once. There's no way he'll be hired as the head coach here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Durant already got Atkinson fired once. There's no way he'll be hired as the head coach here.

So is there another head coach that might be willing to back up Kevin Young such as Frank Vogel.

I'm doing some brainstorming so I'm not fixed upon one candidate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So is there another head coach that might be willing to back up Kevin Young such as Frank Vogel.

I'm doing some brainstorming so I'm not fixed upon one candidate.

What's Alvin Gentry up to these days? I'm only half joking.

To answer your question, I'm sure there are but am drawing a blank on name coaches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's Alvin Gentry up to these days? I'm only half joking.

To answer your question, I'm sure there are but am drawing a blank on name coaches.

I'm drawing a blank as well but there has to be a reason behind the Suns thinking, that's why I moved from head coaching candidates to assistant coaching candidates.

Maybe the Suns are offering the whole enchilada to someone, the opportunity to be both the head coach and GM with commensurate pay.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't pay a coach the most ever in NBA History, who has never won a title, unless you are desperate. That played a huge role in the amount he received. No matter. I predict Monty doesn't win a title in Detroit. He may or may not finish out that contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a real head scratcher. At this point in time, I can't say that Monty won't get there first.
They are in much better shape asset-wise than we are but since that's true for most of the league, I don't think that puts them all that near championship contender status. I'd say that odds are, about the only chance we will have to win a championship in the next 7 years will be in this upcoming season. And I just can't envision Detroit winning it all next year or anytime in the next 7 seasons.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

I'm in the wait and see mode.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are in much better shape asset-wise than we are but since that's true for most of the league, I don't think that puts them all that near championship contender status. I'd say that odds are, about the only chance we will have to win a championship in the next 7 years will be in this upcoming season. And I just can't envision Detroit winning it all next year or anytime in the next 7 seasons.

It's more about how do the Suns get past the Nuggets for the next two seasons.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is a good coach and good at player development but their roster sucks and they had some awful luck in the lotto this year. I don't think we need to worry about him getting a ring in Mo-Town.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Monty is a good coach and good at player development but their roster sucks and they had some awful luck in the lotto this year. I don't think we need to worry about him getting a ring in Mo-Town.
Ayton?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don’t think he’s good at player development at all. Look at Bridges sky rocket since getting away from Monty.

Monty has gone out of his way to kill Ayton. He did everything he could to not develop Stix even when he showed real signs.

Monty never once tried to run our offense around any of the young guys. It’s the Chris Paul offense and nothing else for Monty

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
No matter how you want to paint the picture and for whatever reason, Monty's decision to take the job with the Pistons saved Mat Ishbia nearly $20 million.

Also, you might want to look Monty's situation with the Suns from this perspective... at least for a moment.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Good, they should trade some young bench talent to the Suns for CP3 then

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good, they should trade some young bench talent to the Suns for CP3 then

The Pistons appear set at point guard. I'm not sure why they would be interested in Chris Paul at the tail end of his career.

Monty and Chris Paul are kind of like, been there and done that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a pathway around the Nuggets either, barring injuries.
Just the time machine (but the Nuggets aren't the only team that would block our goal IMO). Anyway, had we traded Saric, Crowder, CamJ and 2 future unprotected picks, with Mikal and 2 tradable picks still available we'd have had a small chance to get there this next season. Had we traded Bridges, Crowder, Saric and CamJ but no picks, we'd have had a small chance to get there this season. Had we kept the roster as is, we'd have had a small chance to move some players and picks in the offseason to get there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose