Miller to the Cubs take two

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it seems that the relief pitcher we picked up for Miller had a torn labrum (damn Cubs trying to ship us schotty product). and instead we get Mark Freed, a 24 yr old SP in AA. He doesn't show anymore promise than Noyce but there is some more value in Freed. Freed had a higher K/9IP and a higher K/BB in more IP than Noyce.

Still a salary dump in principle though.

The Diamondbacks were awarded 6-foot-5 left-hander Mark Freed from the Chicago Cubs organization after an examination revealed that left-hander David Noyce, one of the two players acquired in the Damian Miller trade, had a labrum tear.

Freed, 24, was 9-11 with a 5.16 ERA for Double-A East Tennessee last season.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/03cactus/0313dbnb0313.html

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by DWKB
Still a salary dump in principle though.
Not a pure salary dump as they could have just non-tendered him arbitration. They had no obligation to pay him a dime, unlike a true salary dump.

But OTOH I don't know how a 24 year old with a 5.16 ERA in AA could be considered of anything more than minimal value.

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
So you think Miller was worth more than the Dbacks got? What your perceived value of him at the time of the trade?

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Derek in Tucson
So you think Miller was worth more than the Dbacks got? What your perceived value of him at the time of the trade?

If this is directed at me.....

I think if CHN would have thrown in OF Antoine Cameron instead of Gary Johnson and Steve Smyth instead of Noyce/Freed that I would be one content puppy.

Guys who are on the cusp of top 20-30 in the farm.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
I suppose at the time I thought Damian would have been worth more, though in retrospect, I knew they were going to get rid of him because Randy preferred Moeller and he was major league minimum. So of course other teams knew that they could get him once he was non-tendered. After all, Kevin Millwood was only worth a AAA catcher for the same reason.

I think Joe, Jr. is pretty astute on these things. I rarely get the sense that someone would take him to the cleaners. And look at what the market was for Jack Cust now, I thought he was worth more, too.

That's probably one area where we fans really don't know what we are talking about. Though of course that doesn't stop us from talking.
:wave:

Derek in Tucson

Veteran
Reaction score
I just meant in general terms, not specifically what they got or could have gotten from the Cubs. It's tough to figure out what the Cubs offered for Miller, and who the DBacks passed on. That's inside info none of us would have.

But OTOH I don't know how a 24 year old with a 5.16 ERA in AA could be considered of anything more than minimal value.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to ERA for a minor leaguer. Better off looking at K/9, walk rate, and HR allowed per 9. Anytime you can take other factors out of the equationlike ERA, that allows you to weed out the numbers that are team dependent. A pitcher's ERA can be influenced by the defense behind him, and especially the bullpen. Focusing on Ks, Walks, and HR allow you to look at just the nubmers that are the sole responsibility of the pitcher.

OP
OP
DWKB

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Noyce is around 6 K/9IP and 4.5 BB/9IP and was only good for 70 IP for us (regardless of his 2.72 ERA).

Frred is around 7 K/9IP and less than 4 BB/9IP and is good for 130+ IP for us (regardless of his 5.16 ERA)

Like I said, not much difference but at least we get more IP out of Freed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson