Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

He's really good I just don't see him as a kid who's that anxious to get there I think he's got a level head and the right support people around him that he'll probably stay 2 years and be better prepared. now obviously if he blows up as a freshman and ESPN is right and he's a top 6 pick then yes you go. I see him right now as a 12-18 kind of pick this year. To be fair I think right now the 21 draft projects to be better than the 20 draft so if he can go high in 20 maybe he will. Outside of Wiseman, Carey and Cole Anthony there's probably no locks for top 10 in the upcoming draft.. I think Carey could actually tumble too given Duke's habit of lowering draft stock on bigs.

So I guess I'm convincing myself Nico probably could go OAD and go quite high, he's more polished. The big thing he did is he really improved his shooting his last year in HS, he was good before but he's much more consistent now, with his athleticism and feel that was really the one thing he needed to improve and he did. I still prefer Cole Anthony overall but Nico is going to be a terrific college player and probably play in the NBA for 10 years.

Green is 6 months older and probably more physically ready but I guess the question on him is will he be a 2 or 3 in the NBA. Great player really like him.

2. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I think Nico will be similar to Coby White. He will need to be the primary scorer for Arizona because we won’t have the shooters or reliable scorers to surround him with. He’s got better handles than White but a worse Nba frame... My best lazy comp is Oregon Ridnour. I remember him used to work over Jason Gardner haha.

3. Russ Smith

Better PG than Ridnour I don't know if he's that good of a shooter yet but Ridnour wasn't as a freshman either. Very good player.

4. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

I think Mike Bibby is a better lazy comp...

5. GatorAZ

In that case I expect a Natty.

6. Russ Smith

Well the #1 class is no more. Precious Achiuwa is "taking his talents" to Memphis and they are now the #1 class.

Will be interesting to see how that works, I assume Sam Mitchell is going to be the one actually coaching that team but who knows. They are loaded with athletes on paper that's for sure.

7. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Eating Gyros in Tucson

I no longer judge “classes” by McDonalds All Americans and guys that Dukie V calls “diaper dandies.” Either turn guys like Ayton into wins or recruit guys like Derrick Williams

8. GatorAZ

Randolph and Doutrive are probably gone opening up room for Jordan Brown. I can’t believe Dylan Smith night come back but he’s okay in a small role off the bench... Even if Mannion and Green are OAD we should still have some talent in 2020-21’. That will be B-Will’s boom year.

9. Russ Smith

Oh I agree I just meant ranking. Arizona's class fits perfectly into what they had coming back they needed more guard and wing play and got it.

Timm Rosenbach likes this.
  10. TJ

TJ Suge White

I think Dylan Smith in a minimal role is fine. When he’s asked to play >15 min is a problem

I’d rather keep Doutrive though, but whatever’s bothering him seems to be too much for him to cope with

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I’m just excited to see real guard play again point guard U. It’s been a loooong time.

12. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

I think what's bothering him is Miller giving undeserved playing time to Dylan Smith and Barcello over him last season, and I can't say that I blame him.

13. Lefty

Lefty Registered

I think bringing in Baker was the last straw.

14. GatorAZ

Doutrive and Randolph are gone. Shouldn’t be an issue unless the recruits don’t show for whatever reason.

15. Russ Smith

I think he was a bit over his head at UA anyways. He was a good get when the class fell apart and Miller needed bodies but once it became clear the next class or two was going to be loaded, it seemed inevitable he'd be gently nudged to find another program.

With Randolph I suspect Miller already knew he wasn't coming back, I doubt he would have taken Baker if he thought Randolph might stay.

I fully expect both Mannion and Green to show up but it is interesting that elite recruit RJ Hampton reclassified and then surprised everyone by committing to go play pro ball in New Zealand. He turned down, Kansas, Memphis and Texas Tech after earlier dropping Duke and UK. Green is of course from Australia but it seems like if he had any interest in playing pro there he'd have already made that apparent.

I wonder if Hampton is just another one off or if there actually will be a trend of elite kids choosing overseas or the G League.