Mike McCoy and QB/QBOTF?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I thought I saw that the Cardinals were finalizing a deal to make Mike McCoy the new OC? Don't see any current threads about it so now I wonder. But, if he does sign, it seems to me that would make guessing who the new QB would be a lot easier too.

I'm under the impression that Denver will be going after a vet FA and are willing to part with any/all of their current stable of QB's. IMO, the Cards would do well to go after Paxton Lynch. He's still raw but has some experience, is still on a rookie contract and shouldn't take much to get him and he knows McCoy's system.

I guess the same logic would apply to Osweiler/Siemian but if I'm the Cardinals, I'd want the guy who has a potentially higher ceiling/future. I think Osweiler/Siemian pretty much are what they are and I'd roll the dice on Lynch developing, myself.

It would take care of the QB and QBOTF situation for the Cardinals and allow them to start rebuilding right away.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I thought I saw that the Cardinals were finalizing a deal to make Mike McCoy the new OC? Don't see any current threads about it so now I wonder. But, if he does sign, it seems to me that would make guessing who the new QB would be a lot easier too.

I'm under the impression that Denver will be going after a vet FA and are willing to part with any/all of their current stable of QB's. IMO, the Cards would do well to go after Paxton Lynch. He's still raw but has some experience, is still on a rookie contract and shouldn't take much to get him and he knows McCoy's system.

I guess the same logic would apply to Osweiler/Siemian but if I'm the Cardinals, I'd want the guy who has a potentially higher ceiling/future. I think Osweiler/Siemian pretty much are what they are and I'd roll the dice on Lynch developing myself.

It would take care of the QB and QBOTF situation for the Cardinals and allow them to start rebuilding right away.

McCoy is our offensive coordinator. He's been signed and had a press conference.

No to Lynch for me.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
McCoy is our offensive coordinator. He's been signed and had a press conference.

No to Lynch for me.
Thanks, was too lazy to go back to previous pages.

Lynch is a bit of a risk but better than just settling for a bridge IMO. But, regardless of which one it is and considering the Cardinals apparent cap situation, I think a Broncos QB might be the logical and obvious choice for many reasons.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Lynch is a bit of a risk but better than just settling for a bridge IMO. But, regardless of which one it is and considering the Cardinals apparent cap situation, I think a Broncos QB might be the logical and obvious choice for many reasons.

Lynch is a risk, but I think everyone knew he was raw and needed time to develop. He could get better, but I highly doubt he'll ever be a consistent starter in the league.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
just say no to Denver QB's.

Mike McCoy was fired from Denver after a complete off season, pre season, and six games because he could not generate wins with Denvers QB's

if he could not generate an offense with them in denver there is no reason to think he can make them successful in Arizona.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Lynch is a risk, but I think everyone knew he was raw and needed time to develop. He could get better, but I highly doubt he'll ever be a consistent starter in the league.
Sadly, I agree based on what I've seen from him so far. He was the QB I was pulling for from that draft but he's really struggled. Change of scenery might do him well but I haven't been watching closely enough to know why he's struggling. Seems like accuracy is an issue for him but it also seems like the game hasn't slowed down for him so accuracy, timing, decision-making, etc. may all improve with more playing time.

Other forgotten names that should be affordable for the Cardinals, that most would probably hate but would actually be decent enough bridge QB's: Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne, Ryan Fitzpatrick and a familiar face with a Carolina connection, Derek Anderson. None of these guys would offer any kind of future but if the Cardinals are dead set on drafting a QBOTF then it's one of these types that will be wearing red next year.

Which is why I like the Lynch idea better. As long as he isn't deemed a bust by McCoy anyway. The QB class is deep this year but the Cardinals are going to have to get lucky or spend some draft capital to get a good prospect. I'd much rather see those picks go toward improving the team more quickly and surrounding a guy like Lynch with a better team.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
just say no to Denver QB's.

Mike McCoy was fired from Denver after a complete off season, pre season, and six games because he could not generate wins with Denvers QB's

if he could not generate an offense with them in denver there is no reason to think he can make them successful in Arizona.
I agree. I'm not a fan of McCoy and don't really think he deserves all the jobs he gets. But, that's the bed the Cardinals have made for themselves so it has to be embraced. I'd much rather see the Cardinals bring in a QB that is familiar with the offense and to get whatever leg up that provides since the offense itself apparently isn't innovative enough to generate production in and of itself.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Apparently Lynch isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp. Elway fell in love with his measurables and arm.

I'd rather trade a 3rd for Tyrod then a 5-6th for Lynch.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
No QB 6’7” or taller has over done a damn thing in the NFL!! 2 of them have blown goats in Denver...on the same team. Lol

Lynch is a joke, Osweiler is horrendous & Siemian is terrible.

Run away fast!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I mean, if Lynch were a free agent, I wouldn't be super mad about signing him on the cheap.

Same with Siemian and Osweiler... as guys that might be 3rd stringers. We need 3 QBs in the room anyways, why not a guy that knows the system already?

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
Apparently Lynch isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp. Elway fell in love with his measurables and arm.

Yeah, I'm sure I read or heard he had trouble digesting the play book.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Everybody talks about signing guys, even if they are not very good, because they "know the system".

I think I would rather sign someone who doesn't "know the system", but is considered a better player, and can maybe learn the system? What part of his system do they know that another player can't learn with three or four months of studying, practicing and trying to learn it?

From what little I've read about McCoy on here, he seems to adapt his system to the players strengths anyway, doesn't he?

This is from someone who watches a game for enjoyment, but doesn't study it or know about the intricacies of being a QB.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Everybody talks about signing guys, even if they are not very good, because they "know the system".

I think I would rather sign someone who doesn't "know the system", but is considered a better player, and can maybe learn the system? What part of his system do they know that another player can't learn with three or four months of studying, practicing and trying to learn it?

From what little I've read about McCoy on here, he seems to adapt his system to the players strengths anyway, doesn't he?

This is from someone who watches a game for enjoyment, but doesn't study it or know about the intricacies of being a QB.
It isn't impossible or even unusual for a QB to pick up a new system but it does usually add to the learning curve and time it takes for the offense to be functioning efficiently. More importantly, the Cardinals are presumably going to be working with a limited amount of resources. They won't be throwing a big contract at someone most likely so that hypothetical "good" QB that could transcend the system and be built around probably won't be an option.

So, it certainly isn't a requirement for a QB to be familiar with a system but I think it does provide some benefit for the new team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Well, a couple of things here... first off, the terminology for these things is incredibly complex. It's like learning a new language, which isn't exactly easy to do in just a few months. As the QB, you're responsible for not only reading and calling out the play, but making sure players are in the right spots, and adjusting the call at the line of scrimmage if necessary. It might not be that hard after a few months of studying when there's no pressure on, but when you have 40 seconds to do it and there's 11 guys on the other side of the field that want to kick your ass, your brain doesn't function with that as quickly.

Not to mention that this team is likely to draft at least one guy, who won't have the benefit of being able to be in the first minicamp where this is installed and everyone is learning together.

Palmer was very insistent about how much of a help Stanton's experience was in the system for him.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score

I'd rather have Gabbert or Stanton before that scrub and they aren't any good.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm sure McCoy would love for the Cards to bring in those "coach killers" from Denver.
I don't think McCoy's earned any benefit of doubt though. I'm not convinced about what the problem was with Denver's offense last year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Tyrod sucks beyond words. I’d expect picks in exchange for taking on his suckiness.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The same gut feeling I had about Prescott being the real deal is shouting: "Stay away from Lynch."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson