Michael Bidwill's Tough Decision

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Amos returns, I will still be a fan, but I won't grovel with DTV for hours... in hopes of getting it for free, and I sure as hell won't pay for it.

Why Bask didn't make a serious play for Garoppolo... will forever be a fricking headscratcher.
My guess is BA wasn't interested in a QBOTF.. When Palmers done, So is BA.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Common denominator = playing in BA's offense.

this is confusing correlation with causation

as an example, the Packers have also lost their QB, numerous offensive linemen, are on their third RB -- and have done so a few times over the last five years. They also have a fullback. Is McCarthy's WCO to blame?

the Vikings have gone through Qbs, they have also lost a RB and offensive linemen over the past couple years. They play a fullback. Norv Turner / Pat Shurmur's offense to blame?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...this seems like a pretty thin position. Can you reference any other time this has wored in recent moemory...because, I can't think of one.

Wentz-same system
Dak-same system
Russ-same system
Luck-has regressed
Carr-I think Musgrave had the same system as Downing, but Carr has regressed
This seems to be the Browns philosophy for years-hasn't worked

You are right that it can work...just like drafting 4.65 40 WRs can work, but it fails far more often than it succeeds.

This.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
this is confusing correlation with causation

as an example, the Packers have also lost their QB, numerous offensive linemen, are on their third RB -- and have done so a few times over the last five years. They also have a fullback. Is McCarthy's WCO to blame?

the Vikings have gone through Qbs, they have also lost a RB and offensive linemen over the past couple years. They play a fullback. Norv Turner / Pat Shurmur's offense to blame?

What I am saying is...BA's offense, as designed, puts enormous and added pressure on the QB, RB and OL...and it is no coincidence, therefore, that these units keep getting destroyed.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think its a lock that the Cards draft a QB in the first round. It's time and they know it. The shear amount of fans calling for Amos to be fired will get the job done this offseason. I also think we bring in two new starters on the offensive line. I can see two new guards next year. To me there is no way Veldheer is let go. He is our best linemen so I can see Veldheer and Humphries coming back next year. WR will have to be a high priority list next year as well.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offense looked DOA from the start of the first preseason game when everyone was healthy.
Hmm, they were definitely not great in the preseason, but i remember the starters and 2nd stringers being up 15-0 on the Cowboys, 17-0 on the Raiders in the first half, and 17-0 on the defending NFC Champion Falcons in the first half. There was certainly reason for optimism.

...dave

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Why not? It seems to be working pretty well for the Rams.

I won't argue it worked for the Rams, however this would be an exception versus the norm. I also think McVay looked at what he had and molded the offense around Goff and his strengths as well as the other offensive players that were available to him. Arians on the other hand tends to try fitting square pegs into round holes. Yes he has altered the offense especially since Gabbert took over and I am thinking it's more of a trust issue with Gabbert than modifying the offense. I don't think Arians would be calling the same offense he is now if Palmer was still behind center. Besides what Arians was doing before certainly wasn't working. He at least decided to try something else and injuries also forced his hand to an extent. I think these things and others have affected how Arians calls the plays on offense.

Reaction score
What I am saying is...BA's offense, as designed, puts enormous and added pressure on the QB, RB and OL...and it is no coincidence, therefore, that these units keep getting destroyed.

How so? How is it more than any other offense that is pass first?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
How so? How is it more than any other offense that is pass first?

Minimal pass protections...running over and over into stacked boxes...no use of a FB (except occasionally on the goal line), heavy doses of 1 on 1 battles up front, with little to no help if one of them messes up (lots of 0 backfields)...no chipping...trying to block good DEs at times 1 on 1 with our TEs and them getting tossed and schooled over and over...often times the 1 RB on a pass play vacates the pocket immediately to go on a pass route leaving no blitz or immediate penetration pick up...etc.

The rap on BA in Pittsburgh was that his offense repeatedly put Big Ben in added peril...and there was a great concern that Big Ben would have to retire early. Five years of BA's offense and look at all the injuries Carson Palmer has suffered. Even Drew Stanton...injured 2 games into his starts with knee injuries (one serious, one not).

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to play devil's advocate. If David Johnson & Palmer doesn't get hurt and our OL stayed relatively healthy....I think we have 3-4 more wins. As bad as we have played we are 6-7. I think we could be 9-4. And right there in the playoffs. Now saying that.....A lot of issues is coaching. Draft a QB and give Arians 1 year. Fire Amos tonight....and demote Bettcher. Get an aggressive DC

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the excitement is gone because the offense is bad. The offense is bad because it's missing its best player. The defense is one of the best in the NFL. I don't think we're that far away from competing in the division; the 49ers have a long way to go.

I'm agnostic on the question of drafting a quarterback. If the entire organization can align behind a top prospect, then go ahead and do so. But you don't just draft someone because you need someone to develop. Gabbert, Stanton and Palmer are all Top 50 quarterbacks who can help this team get to 7-9 wins if the circumstances are right.

What? We are 27th in red zone TD percentage as a defense. 23rd in oppo 3rd down conversion %. 16th in oppo 4th down conversion %. 25th in oppo points per game. I will assume you are referencing our weighted defensive DVOA which is 4th in the league, but this is a situation where I watch our games a see our points allowed per game, poor 3rd down defense %, and red zone defense %, and I question the DVOA rankings. The Broncos are the 10 th ranked in weighted DVOA, and they aren't a good defense right now. The Vikings are ranked below us, and I would argue that they are a better defense.

If you stated that we were an average defense, I can agree. If you stated that we are an underachieving defense, I would agree. But to state we are one of the best in the NFL and on par with the Vikings, Rams, Jaguars, and Chargers, that, I highly question.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What? We are 27th in red zone TD percentage as a defense. 23rd in oppo 3rd down conversion %. 16th in oppo 4th down conversion %. 25th in oppo points per game. I will assume you are referencing our weighted defensive DVOA which is 4th in the league, but this is a situation where I watch our games a see our points allowed per game, poor 3rd down defense %, and red zone defense %, and I question the DVOA rankings. The Broncos are the 10 th ranked in weighted DVOA, and they aren't a good defense right now. The Vikings are ranked below us, and I would argue that they are a better defense.

If you stated that we were an average defense, I can agree. If you stated that we are an underachieving defense, I would agree. But to state we are one of the best in the NFL and on par with the Vikings, Rams, Jaguars, and Chargers, that, I highly question.

It's so funny — we're not a "bend but don't break" defense, we're a "feast or famine" defense.

Yes, we're bad in the red zone. But we're also 2nd in punts per drive and 3 and outs per drive. A big part of the problem is that we're last in the league in fumbles. I think that some of that is that we're soft and undersized, but I think a bigger portion is just bad luck that will regress toward the mean.

I think the improvement in the red zone will improve and regress back toward the mean next season. Our run defense remains pretty sound, and we might just have to get used to the pass defense being shaggy for the first month of the season.

I dunno, man.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's so funny — we're not a "bend but don't break" defense, we're a "feast or famine" defense.

Yes, we're bad in the red zone. But we're also 2nd in punts per drive and 3 and outs per drive. A big part of the problem is that we're last in the league in fumbles. I think that some of that is that we're soft and undersized, but I think a bigger portion is just bad luck that will regress toward the mean.

I think the improvement in the red zone will improve and regress back toward the mean next season. Our run defense remains pretty sound, and we might just have to get used to the pass defense being shaggy for the first month of the season.

I dunno, man.

I think our pass defense is shaggy for the first month of the season because that is how long it usually takes for the Cardinals to get a vet who can play the #2 CB position right on cue after they try the ongoing fiasco called the 'Bethel/Williams can play the position' lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I dunno, man.

This sums my thoughts up perfectly on pretty much everything with this team.

With DJ and Palmer healthy, I could see us winning two more games maybe... the Houston game... maybe either the second Rams game or the Thursday night Hags game and if we were 8-5 this season with our horrific ST and mediocre D, I would prob be inclined to bring Arians back with changes at ST and D coordinator.

But if I'm being really honest, the only difference I see those two making is probably the Houston game. Hell, even then, if we were 7-6 with a shot at the playoffs, I'd be lying if I said I'd still be calling for major change.

I dunno, man... on anything with this team... except Amos. He's got to the freaking go.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
But if I'm being really honest, the only difference I see those two making is probably the Houston game. Hell, even then, if we were 7-6 with a shot at the playoffs, I'd be lying if I said I'd still be calling for major change.

I think you are right

I could make a case that they beat the Texans and one of SEA at home or Detroit ( they were leading with the ball late in the 3rd when DJ, playing with a hurt wrist, fumbled inside their own 20)

But even with 3 more wins, this is a team that would have to pull a 2007 Giants like transformation during the playoffs to have gone far.