Michael Bidwill Unlikely to Make Kliff Kingsbury the Scapegoat

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Narrator: It is not.

What Florio keeps not talking about is that HC contracts are always guaranteed. It's a league wide owners agreement. 100% of the time.

Keim might not be but he only gets paid a couple mil a year.
Kliff may be an exception to this rule however in that every other coach that gets a new contract is either in demand on the open market or accomplished something noteworthy in his role to deserve an extension. Kliff has done neither.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Terrific 5 more yrs of glorious bad football
I don’t see bad football as much as we had once, I’m actually inspired by the effort to balance up with a featured back. It’s still the 3 and outs, have not earned play action or rpo. Defenses play the pass most downs, because we pass most downs one dimensionally. It is not winning football but it is not bad as we have experienced.

I think Kim and Kliff and Kyler would have another, better job immediately. Vance also! So I am glad we must rebuild the run game staff , hopefully with a voice and a backbone that is in sync with klif schematics. The success has shown last year, and while losing this year.

why does everybody expect cards to blow up the team, 5 minutes before the miracle? Like we did with Denny Green, I said it then and still believe Denny built the roster and front office and we pulled the carpet out after a year with rookie lei art? Whiz destroyed the roster and the culture, lets not be inpatient and repeat that mistake. Let it ride,, support them like the contract, this is not a Steve Wilkes situation, he moved to the 4-3 destroyed the roster - and cleaned out most the talent we had after we couldn’t make the playoffs, whiz did the same his first losing season, left the cupboards bare!

I agree with 1sr round linebackers, saving money on lesser paid positions long term in the first round, busts are not quite as deadly and it is needed as qb on defense. These guys ain’t done yet, the cake is in the oven, don’t keep opening the door and risk it falling, let the biscuit bake!

my point is it is not obvious to me, like Wilkes and WHis- or BA moving on using cards as a stepping stone. When it becomes clear, I will be loud and clear, say what I mean and mean what I say. This is exactly the year Kyler needs to shut up grow up and man up As a franchise qb. If he don’t and has reached his ceiling, it will be obvious.
let it bake

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Kliff may be an exception to this rule however in that every other coach that gets a new contract is either in demand on the open market or accomplished something noteworthy in his role to deserve an extension. Kliff has done neither.
Disagree, he has, lots of teams would have liked to have last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assertion not in evidence. Keim probably gets paid just as much if not marginally more than Kliff.

His original 3 year deal was just over a million (it was reported at the time he was paid just $750k and it was refuted with "Over a million"). Let's say it was $1.25m.

The average GM salary is between $1 to $3m a year according to everything I can find online. The highest paid GM is $7.5m apparently. Keim isn't there.

Kliff was reportedly paid $5.5m a year on his original deal. He's had 1 bad playoff appearance and middling success. I don't see him earning more than $6.5m on his new deal. No way Keim is earning more.

I'd guess Keim is on $2-2.5m now. Maybe $3m tops.

Of course Mike could be vastly over paying him but I can only work off the information available.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An interesting tidbit that Mitch found on ESPN+, which is quoted more fully in this SI Fan Nation article:

If Graziano is right, there's more to the contract structure than what's revealed on OverTheCap.com, which shows so much dead money that a trade would be inconceivable before 2024-2025. Interesting....

...dave

If you were a GM would you trade for Kyler right now?

That money, his form, the negativity surrounding him? I wouldn't touch that deal.

Right now the way he is playing for the money he has coming you would have to Owseiler the deal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There is no rule if there is an exception. It's a commitment between owners. There is no breaking it. He's 100% guaranteed.

But too much is being made of it. It doesn't stop him being fired.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

That money, his form, the negativity surrounding him? I wouldn't touch that deal.

Right now the way he is playing for the money he has coming you would have to Owseiler the deal.
If I were a GM and the Cards called, I'd laugh them off the phone.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This ideology makes me really hope Kyler does get traded to stick it to “fans” like yourself. To put Kyler and Oswieler in the same context is ludicrous. You should be embarrassed on how terrible of a take that is. We don’t need another Kyler Vs the World banter and thread… but Jeesh dude, can your tales get any more hot?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no rule if there is an exception. It's a commitment between owners. There is no breaking it. He's 100% guaranteed.

But too much is being made of it. It doesn't stop him being fired.

Yes. There is undoubtedly a guaranteed base to the contract, but like deals with players, I suspect that we are fed a number with all the bells and whistles.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If the team finishes at 4-13 I would be surprised if someone doesn’t get fired whether it’s Kliff, Keim or VJ.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I took the Kyler/Osweiler comparison to mean that he was talking about aspects of the Osweiler contract. :?:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What Florio keeps not talking about is that HC contracts are always guaranteed. It's a league wide owners agreement. 100% of the time.
do we know this to be true? i have never heard that NFL HC contracts are always 100% guaranteed --

and frankly, owners would never want it to be always true

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO, the only way all 3 get canned is if we lose out completely. And, I just don’t see that happening. The schedule actually gets easier, and it‘s more probable that we win more than we lose down the stretch. I think that it’ll be VJ that’s gone at season’s end. And I would be thrilled if that’s the case. Not to say the other 2 don’t deserve it, but I just don’t trust Bidwill to do it.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO, the only way all 3 get canned is if we lose out completely. And, I just don’t see that happening. The schedule actually gets easier, and it‘s more probable that we win more than we lose down the stretch. I think that it’ll be VJ that’s gone at season’s end. And I would be thrilled if that’s the case. Not to say the other 2 don’t deserve it, but I just don’t trust Bidwill to do it.
I think we beat the Broncos, maybe. That's it - 1-4 to end the season.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Make no mistake - at least one of Russ or Brady will have a throwback game against us and will awaken the “he’s back” headlines the following Monday morning. Has happened to us vs. washed up formerly great QB’s more times than I want to remember.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can’t argue your logic, but the only game that appears to be a definite loss is against the Niners. Pats, Broncos, Bucs, and Falcons are not great teams. Neither are we, but I think we win at least 2 more.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
do we know this to be true? i have never heard that NFL HC contracts are always 100% guaranteed --

and frankly, owners would never want it to be always true
Sometimes (usually?) there’s offset language if they take another job. That’s why Belichek assistants have baroque titles: Matt Patricia is Senior Advisor and Joe Judge is a position assistant or something so they can double-dip on the teams that fired them.

The last few Cards coaches have had five-year deals with the fifth year as a team option. That’s a pretty traditional structure I think. Buyouts and stuff would be pretty unusual.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose