Michael Bidwill & Co. played this perfect!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Colts went from 2-14 to playoff team in one season

With bruce arians as coach.

hmmmm :)

And the Cardinals have a much better defense than Indy. All we need is to draft the next Andrew Luck this April. :koolaid:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I woke up to a flooded house this morning and the plummer aint coming til tomorrow. I need AzCardsWin to come over and convince me it's not a flood, it's an oasis.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Now that the dust has cleared, like it or not, we are in a relaxed good position. We don't have to rush and make a mistake we wish we hadn't made down the line. Lets face it also, the very best coaches who have other choices aren't going to pick the Cards over a lot of other teams.

I would rather just let them sign with others rather than us look foolish by making them offers they refuse. Sort of like why go ask all the 10's at your high school to go to the prom with you when you know they will say no. Might as well let the hotties go get their dates and then you have a choice of all the other 7 and 8's to mull over.

That pretty much sums up us Cards, doesn't it.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is like celebrating that you waited until July to start hiring Ivy League graduates. Yes, the guys that are out there might be desperate for the opportunity, but all the other firms found their Harvard grads and Yalies when they graduated in May. :shrug:

That's more of an apples to oranges comparison. There are only 32 HC spots. Hiring an Ivy grad in May doesn't mean they'll be a success either. For every successful coach there is a Mike Mularky or Mike Singletary.

This board has been all over the place with the candidates and I bet MB is in the same spot; no one really stands out except maybe McCoy with Horton a close second. And, don't forget about the teams still in the PO's. The Cards might have their eyes on a few coaches with those teams too.

It's much easier to make a snap decision and appease the fans than to take the time and find the right candidate.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP that they've played it right, but I don't have a problem with them taking their time. Of the coaches hired so far I don't really see any of them making it to their 4yr mark. Again, maybe McCoy because he might be able to fix Rivers.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I woke up to a flooded house this morning and the plummer aint coming til tomorrow. I need AzCardsWin to come over and convince me it's not a flood, it's an oasis.

You called a Plummer? Do you make your own sandwiches too?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how exactly has he put us in a strong position? do you mean by being able to get a new HC while keeping Horton?
He can promote a good HC and has the pick of guys like Gailey or Mularkey to overhaul the offense.

Or he can hire a good. QB whisperer in Arians with Horton coaching the offense

Or ditto re Bevell

Likewise Gruden

Or he could quietly troll in college waters.

As last team standing, we're not competing with any team for pro coaching talent - other than the team the dude's already with.

You may not like some or all of these choices but that's a subjective judgment. On paper they put Michael in a good position to move in a few different directions.

The danger, however is that he'll be overwhelmed by all the choices and delay making the final decision til forced to do so. (Right now, time is on his side, but the closer to The EW, Senior Bowl and eventually the Draft, the less time will be on his side).

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You called a Plummer? Do you make your own sandwiches too?
After further review, it turned out to be a leaky 5 gallon bottle of water (pretty sure). We thought the water was coming from underneath the house, in actuallity my wife was just lazy when putting the jug on the ground. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's more of an apples to oranges comparison. There are only 32 HC spots. Hiring an Ivy grad in May doesn't mean they'll be a success either. For every successful coach there is a Mike Mularky or Mike Singletary.

This board has been all over the place with the candidates and I bet MB is in the same spot; no one really stands out except maybe McCoy with Horton a close second. And, don't forget about the teams still in the PO's. The Cards might have their eyes on a few coaches with those teams too.

It's much easier to make a snap decision and appease the fans than to take the time and find the right candidate.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP that they've played it right, but I don't have a problem with them taking their time. Of the coaches hired so far I don't really see any of them making it to their 4yr mark. Again, maybe McCoy because he might be able to fix Rivers.

I guess, but no one wanted Mike Singletary, either. If you believe in the wisdom of crowds and the free market, you're probably enduring a lot of cognitive dissonance in trying to convince yourself that we didn't want the guys we'd scheduled first or second interviews with (at least Andy Reid and Mike McCoy), and that we're in a stronger position because those guys didn't even want to bother with having a conversation with us. My eyes are pretty open on that stuff.

No, you're not more likely to find a great coach if you're out-bidding someone else, but it's worth noting that Jim Harbaugh was in steep demand around the NFL, and Jeff Fisher was in similar demand last offseason. Meanwhile, who wanted the guy that the Raiders hired? Who else was competing for Mike Mularkey?

There's no arguing that we're in a stronger position to get a head coach when seven candidates from a limited pool have been snatched out of it already, unless you believe that all seven of those teams made a terrible choice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After further review, it turned out to be a leaky 5 gallon bottle of water (pretty sure). We thought the water was coming from underneath the house, in actuallity my wife was just lazy when putting the jug on the ground. :D

I swear everytime I read your posts they are spoken in the voice of the van off the movie Cars. I am sorry if that offends you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I guess, but no one wanted Mike Singletary, either. If you believe in the wisdom of crowds and the free market, you're probably enduring a lot of cognitive dissonance in trying to convince yourself that we didn't want the guys we'd scheduled first or second interviews with (at least Andy Reid and Mike McCoy), and that we're in a stronger position because those guys didn't even want to bother with having a conversation with us. My eyes are pretty open on that stuff.

No, you're not more likely to find a great coach if you're out-bidding someone else, but it's worth noting that Jim Harbaugh was in steep demand around the NFL, and Jeff Fisher was in similar demand last offseason. Meanwhile, who wanted the guy that the Raiders hired? Who else was competing for Mike Mularkey?

There's no arguing that we're in a stronger position to get a head coach when seven candidates from a limited pool have been snatched out of it already, unless you believe that all seven of those teams made a terrible choice.

You said it better than I could.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is analogous to shopping on December 26th. All the good desirable stuff is gone and the unwanted and returned goods is all that is left. Good prices, lousy quality.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is analogous to shopping on December 26th. All the good desirable stuff is gone and the unwanted and returned goods is all that is left. Good prices, lousy quality.
The above comment contains logic but not necessarily truth.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I swear everytime I read your posts they are spoken in the voice of the van off the movie Cars. I am sorry if that offends you.
lmao @ both of those comments
McCoy is the only guy I wanted that is off the table now. And his hiring of the guy that was calling our plays half of this past season as OC, just made me glad we didn't take him. Horton, Arians, and Bevell are all the top 3 guys I want as HC, whether we fired our HC months or hours ago

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

That's basically my point, there is no Harbaugh or Fisher this year. The pickin's are slim and Ried never even made it to town.

According the bears their choice came down between Arians, Trestman and Bevell. They wanted someone with HC exp and decided Trestman over Arians. Does that mean if the Cards pick Bevell or Arians they missed out?

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL exec's and GMs are so stupid they are selecting coaches that ASFN posters do not want. :D

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Andy Reid.

That is the only coach that got hired who has had previous NFL head coaching experience.

The other 5 teams (not counting us) all went in on a guy with no experience at the top level before. So yeah, when I say that our pickings now are about just a good as before, I mean it. For instance, if Cards hire Arians, they are the only team that signed a HC that has gotten his team to the playoffs in the last couple years (he led Indy last year). If they go after a guy like Roman (49ers OC), we'll have gotten a guy that helped get his team to the playoffs and NOBODY ELSE GOT TO TALK TO. To just say that we are left with crap is the furthest thing from the truth. There are PLENTY of qualified coaches left out there and at this point you interview as many as you possibly can.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's basically my point, there is no Harbaugh or Fisher this year. The pickin's are slim and Ried never even made it to town.

According the bears their choice came down between Arians, Trestman and Bevell. They wanted someone with HC exp and decided Trestman over Arians. Does that mean if the Cards pick Bevell or Arians they missed out?

That there's no Harbaugh or Fisher is clearly an opinion, not a fact. You could easily argue that Andy Reid (who wasn't even interested in hearing from us) was the Jeff Fisher of this class. He's certainly as experienced, and has had more success over a longer period of time. Is there an equivalent of John Harbaugh? I'd argue that either Chip Kelly (whom we weren't interested in) or Mike McCoy (who decided that he didn't want to bother with a second interview with us) were those guys. Kelly doesn't have the NFL exposure that Harbaugh does, and McCoy doesn't have experience as a head coach, but they're equivalent.

Remember that when Jim Harbaugh was hired, there were people saying that it wouldn't work, that he's a college guy, that he's not bringing in an NFL staff, etc.

Regardless of how rich the cream of this particular crop is, there's no arguing that that cream has now been significantly skimmed, and a lot of the cream slipped away from our particular spoon. We've damaged the brand to the point that Andy Reid preferred to go with Kansas City without even hearing what we had to offer. Mike McCoy didn't want to leave San Diego.

None of this assures that the guy we eventually pick is going to be a dud, but it does indict the process a little bit, and speaks volumes about the quality of our roster and organization that prospective coaches are turning us down in favor of teams that have far deeper issues on both sides of their roster.

The Bears will give their reasons for why Trestman was the perfect fit, but if Bevell or Arians had impressed them enough, it likely would have overridden a specific requisite for head coaching experience; it happens in interviews all the time. Especially when it comes to Arians, who was a de facto head coach for half the 2012 season for the Colts.

Again, you can cherry pick each individual example for why the Bears, Jags, Chargers, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bills didn't want whatever guy we end up with, but that's not going to change the fact that if you overlay all of those teams, none of them wanted our guy.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Andy Reid.

That is the only coach that got hired who has had previous NFL head coaching experience.

The other 5 teams (not counting us) all went in on a guy with no experience at the top level before. So yeah, when I say that our pickings now are about just a good as before, I mean it. For instance, if Cards hire Arians, they are the only team that signed a HC that has gotten his team to the playoffs in the last couple years (he led Indy last year). If they go after a guy like Roman (49ers OC), we'll have gotten a guy that helped get his team to the playoffs and NOBODY ELSE GOT TO TALK TO. To just say that we are left with crap is the furthest thing from the truth. There are PLENTY of qualified coaches left out there and at this point you interview as many as you possibly can.
Arians was HC last year...

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again, you can cherry pick each individual example for why the Bears, Jags, Chargers, Eagles, Chiefs, and Bills didn't want whatever guy we end up with, but that's not going to change the fact that if you overlay all of those teams, none of them wanted our guy.

And the Cards didn't want Trestman or Marrone. Not even interviews setup, so who got the better then?

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Arians was HC last year...

I said he was the only HC to take his team to the playoffs in the last couple years out of all the guys that have gotten hired thus far lol. I know he coached last year. It was in the quote you used. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And the Cards didn't want Trestman or Marrone. Not even interviews setup, so who got the better then?

We have no idea whether the Cards wanted Marrone, or if they announced every prospective candidate. We know that they didn't want Trestman, because Trestman was in the building and fired by the team a decade ago. Maybe the Cards called Marrone and he said, "Thanks, but I'd rather return to Syracuse; the weather is nicer here in January and February."

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China, anyway? All that matters is that the Cardinals will hire a guy that not even the Buffalo Bills were interested in hiring for themselves.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said he was the only HC to take his team to the playoffs in the last couple years out of all the guys that have gotten hired thus far lol. I know he coached last year. It was in the quote you used. :D
lmao. Posting sick apparently leads to completely overlooking portions of posts... mah bad :mulli:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards were as smart as some of you think. What I do think, though, is that they basically forced Horton back in the DC job for one more year.

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
Just proves the Cards are cheap and the other coaches did their due diligence to hire elsewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard