3. Bryce Petty, Baylor
4. Garrett Grayson, Colorado St.
5. *Brett Hundley, UCLA
6. Sean Mannion, Oregon St
7. Bryan Bennett, Southeastern Louisiana
8. Brandon Bridge, South Alabama
9. Shane Carden, East Carolina
10. Grant Hedrick, Boise St.

Not many changes here since the NFL combine. The notable drop is Hundley from No. 3 to No. 5. I love the raw tools, but there's a lot of work to be done there. The two new names who weren't on the previous ranking are Bridge and Carden. Bridge I haven't had in this ranking going back to August, whereas Carden is a returning name. Bennett is still something of a wildcard, because there's a lot of natural ability; but he's just a terribly difficult projection at this point.

Running backs

1. *Melvin Gordon III, Wisconsin
2. *Tevin Coleman, Indiana
3. *Todd Gurley, Georgia
4. David Johnson, No. Iowa
5. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
6. *Jay Ajayi, Boise St.
7. *Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
8. Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.
9. *Javorius "Buck" Allen, USC
10. David Cobb, Minnesota

The order has changed; the names have not. The risers are David Johnson, who has proven to be a fantastic athlete for a player who packs on over 220 pounds, and Langford, who has big-time speed at his size. Langford was a standout at the combine, and you can see the potential. As a patient runner who knows how to wait on the running lanes, Langford has serious speed when he finds a seam. No changes at the top. I still think this can be the year when a running back goes in Round 1 for the first time since 2012.

Fullbacks

1. Jalston Fowler, Alabama
2. Tyler Varga, Yale
3. Zach Zenner, South Dakota St.
4. Mark Weisman, Iowa
5. Michael Burton, Rutgers
6. Lee Ward, Stanford
7. Cameron Stingily, No. Illinois
8. Connor Neighbors, LSU
9. Hunter Joyer, Florida
10. Zach Laskey, Georgia Tech

I know, I know, you all want to see more movement with the fullbacks. No changes among the top four, but there's a big jump for No. 5 here, as I didn't have Burton ranked in the previous top 10. He was a player I just didn't get enough time to analyze during the season, but I particularly like his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, aside from the blocking ability.

Wide receivers

1. *Amari Cooper, Alabama
2. Kevin White, West Virginia
3. DeVante Parker, Louisville
4. Phillip Dorsett, Miami (Fla.)
5. *Breshad Perriman, Central Florida
6. *Jaelen Strong, Arizona St.
7. Devin Smith, Ohio St.
8. *Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri
9. *Devin Funchess, Michigan
10. *Sammie Coates, Auburn

The 40 times and broad jumps and verticals and official heights are in and ... well, I still have Cooper at No. 1 and no changes among the top four players here overall, because the combine did more to confirm the tape than it did to cause a full re-examination. The notable changes are a rise for Perriman, a switch of Funchess from tight end to the wide receiver group and the addition of Coates, who had been previously ranked here.

Tight ends

1. **Maxx Williams, Minnesota
2. Clive Walford, Miami (Fla.)
3. Jeff Heuerman, Ohio St.
4. *Tyler Kroft, Rutgers
5. Nick Boyle, Delaware
6. Ben Koyack, Notre Dame
7. Blake Bell, Oklahoma
8. *Jesse James, Penn St.
9. Nick O'Leary, Florida St.
10. E.J. Bibbs, Iowa St.

The NFL combine didn't do much to cause a shakeup with this group, as I still have the top two in place from my previous ranking. The move of Funchess to wide receiver has Heuerman -- who has a lot of potential if he can stay healthy -- in at No. 3. The biggest drop here is O'Leary, who falls to No. 9. It wouldn't surprise me if there are no tight ends taken in Round 1. Given what the position has become at the NFL level -- fewer classic tight ends who can actually block consistently -- teams see these guys differently, and minus major "athlete" credentials it can hurt their standing.

Offensive tackles

1. Brandon Scherff, Iowa
2. *Andrus Peat, Stanford
3. La'el Collins, LSU
4. *Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla.)
5. *D.J. Humphries, Florida
6. T.J. Clemmings, Pitt
7. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
8. *Jeremiah Poutasi, Utah
9. Jake Fisher, Oregon
10. Daryl Williams, Oklahoma

The biggest move from the previous ranking is the rise of Humphries, who is now clearly in the mix for the first round. Scherff is a player many see as a likelier long-term fit at guard, but I believe he can stick at tackle -- and right tackle seems like a good possibility, depending on who drafts him. Fisher had an outstanding week in Indy and moves into the top 10 for the first time.

Guards

1. A.J. Cann, South Carolina
2. Laken Tomlinson, Duke
3. Tre' Jackson, Florida St.
4. John Miller, Louisville
5. Ali Marpet, Hobart
6. Josue Matias, Florida St.
7. Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech
8. Trenton Brown, Florida
9. Robert Myers, Tennessee St.
10. Jarvis Harrison, Texas A&M

Once again, no changes among the top four guard prospects from the previous ranking. I think Cann is the likeliest bet to land in Round 1. Marpet has been great during the postseason process, turning in an impressive combine performance following a breakthrough showing in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, where he proved he can hang after a college career in D-III.

Centers

1. Cameron Erving, Florida St.
2. Hroniss Grasu, Oregon
3. Reese Dismukes, Auburn
4. Andy Gallik, Boston College
5. BJ Finney, Kansas St.
6. Shane McDermott, Miami (Fla.)
7. Greg Mancz, Toledo
8. Jake Smith, Louisville
9. David Andrews, Georgia
10. Elliott Porter, LSU

This group is almost identical to the one I had ranked in the pre-combine rankings. The only new name is Porter, from LSU. Erving is now clearly the top center available, as he offers versatility having played both tackle and guard for the Noles. Grasu wasn't able to do all the athletic drills in Indy as he works to get back to 100 percent following a late-season knee injury, but he's a known commodity based on the tape.

Defense
Defensive ends

1. *Leonard Williams, USC
2. *Dante Fowler, Jr., Florida
3. *Shane Ray, Missouri
4. *Randy Gregory, Nebraska
5. *Arik Armstead, Oregon
6. Preston Smith, Mississippi St.
7. Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA
8. *Mario Edwards, Florida St.
9. *Danielle Hunter, LSU
10. Trey Flowers, Arkansas

A repeat note: The "defensive end" classification makes for some odd groupings, and the difference in style between No. 1 and, say, No. 4 on this list underscores that. Gregory at No. 4 dips a bit after the combine under this classification, and I may yet move him to the outside linebacker group. Fowler gets a bump up after a stellar combine that not only underscores his versatility in a 260-plus pound frame but backs up the tape. I also think Smith has moved himself into the first-round conversation.

Defensive tackles

1. Danny Shelton, Washington
2. *Malcom Brown, Texas
3. *Eddie Goldman, Florida St.
4. **Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma
5. Carl Davis, Iowa
6. **Darius Philon, Arkansas
7. Michael Bennett, Ohio St.
8. Gabe Wright, Auburn
9. *Xavier Cooper, Washington St.
10. Leterrius Walton, Central Michigan

Shelton has solidified his status as the top true defensive tackle on the board, and I don't think you have to take him with a specific system in mind. Phillips flips ahead of Davis. But in either case there is a lot of work to be done on the tape, because both players flash more than they consistently perform. Cooper is a notable addition after a great combine to back up a productive career at Washington State. He's now safely in the Day 2 mix.

Inside linebackers

1. *Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi St.
2. Stephone Anthony, Clemson
3. Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.)
4. Eric Kendricks, UCLA
5. Jake Ryan, Michigan
6. Hayes Pullard, USC
7. Ramik Wilson, Georgia
8. Bryce Hager, Baylor
9. Taiwan Jones, Michigan St.
10. Ben Heeney, Kansas

There's been a shift at the top, as McKinney moves back to No. 1, which is where I had him heading into the season. Anthony also moves up a spot, while Perryman drops two spots since the previous ranking. The new addition here is Jones, who put together a very good combine performance to back up a solid career in East Lansing.

Outside linebackers

1. Vic Beasley, Clemson
2. *Shaq Thompson, Washington
3. *Eli Harold, Virginia
4. Alvin "Bud" Dupree, Kentucky
5. Paul Dawson, TCU
6. Nate Orchard, Utah
7. *Kwon Alexander, LSU
8. Lynden Trail, Norfolk St.
9. Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington
10. Lorenzo Mauldin, Louisville

I don't think there was a single player who improved his draft stock more at the NFL combine than Beasley, who didn't just shine based on outstanding speed and strength numbers but did so after checking in at 246 pounds. This was a player I had listed in the 220-pound range as a junior. He's gotten stronger but hasn't lost any of the quickness he shows on tape. Harold and Alexander are players who have made a notable jump.

Cornerbacks

1. *Trae Waynes, Michigan St.
2. *Marcus Peters, Washington
3. *Jalen Collins, LSU
4. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
5. Byron Jones, Connecticut
6. Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)
7. Eric Rowe, Utah
8. *Charles Gaines, Louisville
9. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
10. Steven Nelson, Oregon St.

I can't say he will be the top cornerback taken -- system fit plays into where these guys come off the board -- but Waynes certainly solidified a first-round projection by running really fast in Indy. And if there's any position where the 40 times really matter, it's at cornerback -- where you don't have to be the fastest guy, but you can't run below 4.6 and keep your place up high in the rankings. Jones is the biggest riser out of the combine after a stellar performance that helps back up the tape.

Safeties

1. *Landon Collins, Alabama
2. Damarious Randall, Arizona St.
3. Derron Smith, Fresno St.
4. *James Sample, Louisville
5. Jaquiski Tartt, Samford
6. Anthony Harris, Virginia
7. *Durell Eskridge, Syracuse
8. Jordan Richards, Stanford
9. Dean Marlowe, James Madison
10. Cedric Thompson, Minnesota

This ranking has been a case of Collins and everybody else for a while, and the combine did nothing to change that. I think Collins is the one surefire first-rounder, with Randall now in the conversation. Sample has moved up, as has Tartt, a physical player who will get a lot more love as a possible Day 2 pick now.

Special teams
Place-kickers & punters

1. Kyle Loomis, P, Portland St.
2. Tom Obarski, PK, Concordia, (MN)
3. Wil Baumann, P, NC St.
4. Spencer Roth, P, Baylor
5. Justin Manton, PK & P, Louisiana-Monroe
6. Trevor Pardula, P, Kansas
7. Darragh O'Neill, P, Colorado
8. Kyle Christy, P, Florida
9. Will Johnson, P, Texas St.
10. Mike Sadler, P, Michigan St.

No changes here in an underwhelming class, though I typically spend a lot more time on this group in the days leading up the draft, so it's not set in stone.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If Dupree is there when the Cardinals pick, I hope Keim just backfists his way to the podium and spikes the card in front of the commissioner, because he officially wins the offseason.

On Rugbymuffin's Cardinals Top Ten List Dupree is on the top of it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would definitely take Kendricks before Anthony, McKinney, & Perryman.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If anyone wants to watch something hilarious, check out #2 S Demarious Randle vs Oregon St. on www.draftbreakdown.com. His tackling makes Cromartie look like Ray Lewis

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Dupree is there when the Cardinals pick, I hope Keim just backfists his way to the podium and spikes the card in front of the commissioner, because he officially wins the offseason.

I'm with you. Dupree reminds me of Ezekiel Ansah.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

After Dupree's stellar combine---he's a top 10 pick now. I think he has a good chance to be the #3 edge rusher taken after Fowler and Beasley.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Running backs

1. *Melvin Gordon III, Wisconsin
2. *Tevin Coleman, Indiana
3. *Todd Gurley, Georgia
4. David Johnson, No. Iowa
5. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
6. *Jay Ajayi, Boise St.
7. *Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
8. Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.
9. *Javorius "Buck" Allen, USC
10. David Cobb, Minnesota

The order has changed; the names have not. The risers are David Johnson, who has proven to be a fantastic athlete for a player who packs on over 220 pounds, and Langford, who has big-time speed at his size. Langford was a standout at the combine, and you can see the potential. As a patient runner who knows how to wait on the running lanes, Langford has serious speed when he finds a seam. No changes at the top. I still think this can be the year when a running back goes in Round 1 for the first time since 2012.

I actually like the bottom three backs a lot for what we are looking for. I've felt that Allen has been a bit under rated for the draft process for some reason, but dude just got it done, albeit he had the line in front of him that just carved up DLinemen a lot. I'd be happy with any of them in the 3rd or 4th.

Johnson despite his weighing a bit more than some isn't a particularly physical back, I feel he is a bit over rated in the process right now. I'd steer clear of him especially if any of those below him are available. Even Davis and Artis-Payne have a good chance to be better, imo.

It's looking more likely that Coleman will be gone by our 2nd pick, otherwise they should consider him there.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I actually like the bottom three backs a lot for what we are looking for. I've felt that Allen has been a bit under rated for the draft process for some reason, but dude just got it done, albeit he had the line in front of him that just carved up DLinemen a lot. I'd be happy with any of them in the 3rd or 4th.

Johnson despite his weighing a bit more than some isn't a particularly physical back, I feel he is a bit over rated in the process right now. I'd steer clear of him especially if any of those below him are available. Even Davis and Artis-Payne have a good chance to be better, imo.

It's looking more likely that Coleman will be gone by our 2nd pick, otherwise they should consider him there.

I thoroughly agree with you about Langford, Allen and Cobb---lots of talent there.

Johnson is a tip-toe type runner who runs too high. He is going to get hammered in the NFL, unless he changes his running style, imo.

Plus, WBB---look who Mel didn't even include in his top 10:

T. J. Yeldon, 6-1, 220, Alabama

Mike Davis, 5-9, 215, South Carolina

Cameron Artis-Payne, 5-10, 210, Auburn

John Crockett, 6-0, 217, North Dakota St.

Karlos Williams, 6-1, 230, Florida St.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
After Dupree's stellar combine---he's a top 10 pick now. I think he has a good chance to be the #3 edge rusher taken after Fowler and Beasley.

I been driving the Dupree express since the end of January. He is the guy I would try and move up to get. The problem is back then I thought we might have to move into the top 15 to get him, and now it's the top 10. Dude had to go and blow it up at the combine.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3126869&postcount=20

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cards sign AP, it would seem any hope of moving up in the draft is non-existent. Won't have a 2nd/3rd pick anymore.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Draft media is always interesting because it has so little to do with how prospects actually succeed in the NFL. There is almost zero accountability with how these evaluations actually play out because the interest is almost entirely about year one rather than year three.

Also, draft media almost always tries to play both sides of the fence. If they rank a guy higher than he goes, then he is a steal who has higher preceived value when he does get picked, and if a guy gets taken higher then their rank, he is a reach. None of these terms take into account what the player actually does with his career.

Finally, you have to be careful with what you take away from more mainstream draft sources. There are so many other interests that skew what they can report or how they rank players, it makes it almost impossible for them to actually state their opinion on a player.

It is why it is important to get information from as many different qualified sources as possible. It is almost impossible to get the complete draft story from any one guy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Draft media is always interesting because it has so little to do with how prospects actually succeed in the NFL. There is almost zero accountability with how these evaluations actually play out because the interest is almost entirely about year one rather than year three.

Also, draft media almost always tries to play both sides of the fence. If they rank a guy higher than he goes, then he is a steal who has higher preceived value when he does get picked, and if a guy gets taken higher then their rank, he is a reach. None of these terms take into account what the player actually does with his career.

Finally, you have to be careful with what you take away from more mainstream draft sources. There are so many other interests that skew what they can report or how they rank players, it makes it almost impossible for them to actually state their opinion on a player.

It is why it is important to get information from as many different qualified sources as possible. It is almost impossible to get the complete draft story from any one guy.

This, and still the media usually gets it wrong... which is the reason those in the media are not on a NFL scouting staff :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This, and still the media usually gets it wrong... which is the reason those in the media are not on a NFL scouting staff :)

Well...NFL scouting jobs pay crap, and they require a ton of time on the road so it isn't that all of draft media can't do the job. They just get paid more and are able to work from home which is tough to beat. The key if you are looking for good people to read are those with front office experience or those who break down multiple games of players. If you know what certain players at each position need to be able to do to be successful in the NFL, anyone who breaks down film can give you the info you are looking for.

The tough part is that mainstream draft guys are trying to prep viewers on what they will see on draft day rather than what players will actually translate to the NFL. That is what the networks want. That is also why very opionated guys like Nolan Nawrocki do not have bigger media gigs. THey want to be able to say what they want to say, and that doesn't fly with the larger companies.

Last edited:

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
Fullbacks

1. Jalston Fowler, Alabama
2. Tyler Varga, Yale
3. Zach Zenner, South Dakota St.
4. Mark Weisman, Iowa
5. Michael Burton, Rutgers
6. Lee Ward, Stanford
7. Cameron Stingily, No. Illinois
8. Connor Neighbors, LSU
9. Hunter Joyer, Florida
10. Zach Laskey, Georgia Tech

I don't know why they keep listing Zenner as a fullback. He's 5'11" and 223 lbs. and wouldn't project to fullback in the NFL.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think only Fowler will be a top 10 pick out of those 3. Gregory and Ray are still rated above them and 5 DE/OLB are not going in the top 10.

I still think one of the pass rsuhers will be available at 24, most likely Dupree.

Hopefully we'll never have call him Alvin "Bust" Dupree :).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think only Fowler will be a top 10 pick out of those 3. Gregory and Ray are still rated above them and 5 DE/OLB are not going in the top 10.

I still think one of the pass rsuhers will be available at 24, most likely Dupree.

I will be shocked if Jacksonville doesn't take Beasley with all the additions they have made along their defensive front. Beasley is the best LB of the bunch. That being said, you probably have more insight on that than I do. Fowler and Dupree both have the size to play DE going in their favor which makes them better options for more teams.

I actually believe the guy who may drop to us is Ray. His size projects him more to a 3-4 LB only, and his lack of history coupled with draft process injury, makes me feel he has the best chance to drop.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

There just might be that many edge rushers going in the top ten, considering how weak every other position is in this draft, and that no one is taking RB in the top 20 anymore.

It would be pretty easy to see Fowler, Beasley, Gregory, and Dupree going top 10. Gregory may drop being a doper doofus, but not that far.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
There should be Eli Harold for us at #24 no matter who all goes ahead of us. He would fit wonderfully with us. I would be thrilled to have him on our team. Love the way he can get skinny and slide right between both T & G when they both are trying to block him. He has great leaping ability it seems also. Here is his story and highlights:

Eli Harold at Combine Interview

Some Highlights

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
There should be Eli Harold for us at #24 no matter who all goes ahead of us. He would fit wonderfully with us. I would be thrilled to have him on our team. Love the way he can get skinny and slide right between both T & G when they both are trying to block him. He has great leaping ability it seems also. Here is his story and highlights:

Some Highlights

Harold could easily go earlier than #24. The good edge rushers get scooped up quickly. Thanks for posting his combine interview---man, this kid has been through so much and has managed to stay focused on his dreams. He certainly is no stranger to hard work.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Some Highlights

Harold could easily go earlier than #24. The good edge rushers get scooped up quickly. Thanks for posting his combine interview---man, this kid has been through so much and has managed to stay focused on his dreams. He certainly is no stranger to hard work.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/eli-harold?id=2552494
\

There will easily be about 4-5 better options than Harold. Nice story though.

Instincts are below average. No thanks.