Meg 2: The Trench

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Read the books and loved them but this looks just awful in the trailers.

The first one wasn't great but was at least funny. This one looks like a SyFy movie

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Read the books and loved them but this looks just awful in the trailers.

The first one wasn't great but was at least funny. This one looks like a SyFy movie
It's Jason Statham and there hasn't been a good B-Movie in theaters in ages.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Jason Statham and there hasn't been a good B-Movie in theaters in ages.

Yeah I like Statham but I'm going to wait for it to stream.

In one of the trailers I saw the shark actually growls, it shows it attacking a T Rex and it growls, which is just silly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yeah I like Statham but I'm going to wait for it to stream.

In one of the trailers I saw the shark actually growls, it shows it attacking a T Rex and it growls, which is just silly.
So you're complaining that a movie about 3 giant Megaladons vs. Jason Statham is "silly"? Come on Russ. What else COULD it be?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're complaining that a movie about 3 giant Megaladons vs. Jason Statham is "silly"? Come on Russ. What else COULD it be?

If you read the books they're not nearly as silly as the movie. I guess I was hoping they'd at least try to make a more serious movie although admittedly the subject matter makes it hard. But a growling shark?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
My son wants to see it. I asked if he would want to try it in 3d. He's apprehensive, but game.

Low expectations on the film, but could be a fun time out with the kid abd get use out of the house - wife and daughter have zero interest

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My daughter loves sharks and has watched every related movie she can find on Prime and Netflix. You can imagine how trashed our recommendations are …

Totally seeing this, the first one was the definition of a big, dumb, fun movie.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Considering the first one tried to be serious and worked as hard as it could to lean away from the cheese, making it awful in a bad way, it can easily be something other than silly. The first one was a lousy view. This one is a pass.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Considering the first one tried to be serious and worked as hard as it could to lean away from the cheese, making it awful in a bad way, it can easily be something other than silly. The first one was a lousy view. This one is a pass.
Surprising post of the day right here!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen, I'm all in on a great cheese fest. All the writer's room had to do on the Meg was dial back the attempted seriousness, toss in a few zingers, and alter the tone, and that would have been an instant classic.
Yeah I would have much preferred Meg to be more of a deep sea version of Tremors but it wasn't. Still, for what it was, I found it very watchable.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not as good as the first, but if you liked it you will like this one.

The character development of the character DJ was hilarious. “After everything you put me through last time, I learned to swim, took martial arts, and always carry this emergency kit.”

EDIT: OH! I almost forgot. This has the BEST usage of 3D I've seen on the big screen in a long time. Worth the price of admission just for that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It requires too much suspension of reality for me to enjoy this

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can watch this if I am in the right head space and looking for a B movie. Having said that? I typically don't watch B movies in the Theater so I will wait. The first one was watchable.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can watch this if I am in the right head space and looking for a B movie. Having said that? I typically don't watch B movies in the Theater so I will wait. The first one was watchable.
We always wait for home viewing no matter what. We're not fond of unnecessary sequels but we're Statham fans and love movies like Meg and Deep Rising so we're looking forward to it being released to the home market.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ended up watching this in 3d yesterday. My daughter shifted gears and joined us and actually enjoyed it.

Really nothing groundbreaking here.

The 3d was solid and worth the format.

They had a couple different arcs - fighting the sea creatures and fighting the human bad actors - I don't think they built the tension and direct conflict with either as far as they could have

I agree that DJ had a really entertaining character and brought much needed comedy

All in all the execution was a little lacking and the movie wasn't great, but an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours and a good moving to watch with a teen and a tween

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard