MCU: The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Submariner was a great villain also.
He is an anti-hero not really a villain. I don't put him that category. Again, though, that seems to be the Marvel formula hate it or not. Having said that? I am not sure what expectations people have for villains when even the comics are filled with mostly weak villains as well. Even in the comics there are only a few big bads and everyone else is a massive tier below that. You really have to depend on the writing in that case to prop up some of these smaller ones. I surely wouldn't mind them spending a tad more time flushing out these characters to prop them up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is an anti-hero not really a villain. I don't put him that category. Again, though, that seems to be the Marvel formula hate it or not. Having said that? I am not sure what expectations people have for villains when even the comics are filled with mostly weak villains as well. Even in the comics there are only a few big bads and everyone else is a massive tier below that. You really have to depend on the writing in that case to prop up some of these smaller ones. I surely wouldn't mind them spending a tad more time flushing out these characters to prop them up.
When you’re the primary antagonist in the movie, that makes him the “villain” in the movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For a comic book a weak villain might be acceptable, after all you can stretch a villains story out for a long time. A 2-hour movie is a lot different.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When you’re the primary antagonist in the movie, that makes him the “villain” in the movie.
Been a hot minute since I saw the movie but wasn’t the conflict between Wakanda and Atlantis largely driven by Elaine?

Also: Iman perfectly describes the Cardinals board, LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 4

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point being I don’t expect that character to be written the same as a traditional villain. He is not.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a comic book a weak villain might be acceptable, after all you can stretch a villains story out for a long time. A 2-hour movie is a lot different.
I don’t disagree. However, I have rarely seen a shallow or minor villain translate to something better in live action.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe MCU should "put the band back together" for one big glorious romp, then call it.
I still think the big characters like Thor, Captain America, Hulk, etc, can do single stories and draw crowds to the theaters. This multiverse phase of Marvel is getting old. They can kill off a character, and then just get that similar character from another planet and keep trucking. It's a weak crutch they keep leaning on.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This one hit Disney plus this week so I gave it a watch last night.

after all the reviews and such I was expecting to hate it...expecting it to be bad...I didnt and it wasnt.

This was a good flick. It was fun, cute in some places...and the writing was very good.... why you ask??
The continuity during all that power mix up was clever as hell...also, Kamala Khan...while being a badass, totally played out the Captain Marvel fangirl routine to the T...they also did a great job showing 2 young characters who havent gotten used to their own powers yet reacting to now having to learn two totally different sets of abilities.

This was a stellar comic book movie and a very entertaining family movie...

space station about to explode. you got a choice....die horribly in space or allow this kitty cat flerk thing to swallow you for an hour or so....and everybody runs. Hilarious,...I would run...fudge that, death is quick in space but being swallowed by a flerk is 50 years of therapy.

I have learned not to look at these movies based on the Avengers..but simply for what they are...and The Marvels is a really fun movie and a worthy effort for the MCU

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow. Hard disagree. I'm only part of the way through and it's awful thus far (I'm treadmill viewing it). See the Marvel thread for my thoughts thus far.

Ms. Marvel definitely is stealing the show, though, and her show was good.

Edit: Forgot to add that in my second watching segment, I realized the bad guys are literally Spaceballs. Laughable.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also halfway through and this is literally the plot of Spaceballs but also I do like the freaky friday elements and Kamala is the best part of it all. She loves the MCU more than anyone. Need a Spiderman / Kamala meet.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have loved Act 2 with the ladies. Act 1 was odd and the villians are dumb.

Act 3 is hopefully good.

I get why people didnt like this in act 1

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have arrived on the Yellow Submarine Planet. John would approve

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set up for Young Avengers. I liked it. Bad Act 1 but after that its decent

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am also halfway through and this is literally the plot of Spaceballs but also I do like the freaky friday elements and Kamala is the best part of it all. She loves the MCU more than anyone. Need a Spiderman / Kamala meet.
Argh, don't say Spiderman and Kamala in the same sentence. The comics idiotically killed her--in a freaking Spiderman comic to give HIM motivation to avenge her. They were crucified for it.