Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Release Date: May 5, 2023
Studio: Marvel Studios
Director: James Gunn
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, strong language, suggestive/drug references and thematic elements
Screenwriter: James Gunn
Genre: Action | Adventure | Comedy | Sci-Fi

Starring: Bradley Cooper, Pom Klementieff, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Vin Diesel, Sean Gunn, Chris Pratt, Will Poulter, Judy Greer, Michael Rosenbaum, Zoe Saldana, Jennifer Holland, Nathan Fillion

Plot Summary: Still reeling from the loss of Gamora, Peter Quill rallies his team to defend the universe and one of their own - a mission that could mean the end of the Guardians if not successful.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It was great. Good character moments for everyone. Very much a Rocket movie, but by far my favorite was Nebula, which surprised me. But everyone had great moment—I think Mantis deserved some moments and she got them.

Definitely stay until the very end. Important and surprising.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Marvel movie since Spiderman No Way Home. The movie gave each character their moment to shine, to show how far they have come and a great send off. Right amount of action, comedy and feels. Soundtrack was once again amazing.

P.S. Marvel is going to miss James Gunn.

Chris Pratt definitely mislead fans a bit. After Dave Bautista said he was done with Guardians and so did Zoe Saldana, Chris kind of indicated that too.

However, in retrospect Pratt indicated he was done with Guardians. Now from the end credit scene we know that was true…..sort of. Done with Guardians but not his character.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was slightly disappointed but had a lot of fun. Definitely the 3rd strongest of the GotG movies (4th behind the Christmas special lol). Uneven throughout and the music felt forced at times, unlike with the last movies. My friends and I agreed that Gunn pretty much had his attention split making the movie. The middle third had a ton of sag to it. Still, a worthy capping movie to the trilogy, the feels were all there, when the music did hit it hit hard, the characters and acting were incredible, stuff like that.

While the Rocket background was absolute solid gold, benching Rocket for most of the movie wasn't. Also, WTF was the final post-credits scene? Didn't have any humor like the Schwarma scene, and didn't serve a purpose that the banner at the end couldn't have summed up. Weird. The first stinger was fun, however.

Oh, and yes, it most definitely is better than the Marvel output in recent times. Like, 10x better than the last Ant Man.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was slightly disappointed but had a lot of fun. Definitely the 3rd strongest of the GotG movies (4th behind the Christmas special lol). Uneven throughout and the music felt forced at times, unlike with the last movies. My friends and I agreed that Gunn pretty much had his attention split making the movie. The middle third had a ton of sag to it. Still, a worthy capping movie to the trilogy, the feels were all there, when the music did hit it hit hard, the characters and acting were incredible, stuff like that.

While the Rocket background was absolute solid gold, benching Rocket for most of the movie wasn't. Also, WTF was the final post-credits scene? Didn't have any humor like the Schwarma scene, and didn't serve a purpose that the banner at the end couldn't have summed up. Weird. The first stinger was fun, however.

Oh, and yes, it most definitely is better than the Marvel output in recent times. Like, 10x better than the last Ant Man.
You thought 2 was better? 2 had some nice moments, but the extended sequence of Ego showing Peter what he was doing was painfully overlong and boring. Such an uneven movie.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You thought 2 was better? 2 had some nice moments, but the extended sequence of Ego showing Peter what he was doing was painfully overlong and boring. Such an uneven movie.
At first blush, I thought 2 was much better, yes. I'll see it again in the theater, because I enjoyed it quite a bit, so I'll have a better measure of 3.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. 2 had it's moments but this one is definitely better.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely a 5 star effort. Although it was a bit different from what I had expected, it was nonetheless a joy to watch. Great FX, the music was great and fitting to where it played, story was complex but easy to follow, and the ending very, very satisfying. Soaked a couple of kleenex. The 2 1/2 hours flew by!

99 out of 100, and I left it one short only because nothing is perfect. This tied for first with the original GOTG for both the bride and I. DAMN, was this good!!!! I'll be watching it again.

Although my wife was unfamiliar with the character, I got a big kick out of seeing Howard the Duck. ;) ).

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOTG3 opening weekend hits $114; million domestically and $282 million worldwide.

Not bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOTG3 opening weekend hits $114; million domestically and $282 million worldwide.

Not bad.
It’s actually not really good.

I think I read it’s the lowest Marvel May opener in a decade. And off 25% from Guardians 2, which goes against the recent string of Marvel threequels besting the sequel’s opening weekend.

We’ll see if this has legs, but it does seem like Superhero Fatigue might really be settling in. Guardians was originally a big surprise clocking in at 94 million in its opening weekend. But it’s success catipulted them to a 146 million opening weekend for the sequel and made them as much a part of the Infiniti War Saga as anyone else.

Falling 25% for what was sold as the Guardians grand finale couldn’t be what the Mouse House was hoping for.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

It’s the lowest Marvel May opener in a decade. And off 25% from Guardians 2, which goes against the recent string of Marvel threequels besting the sequel’s opening weekend.

We’ll see if this has legs, but it does seem like Superhero Fatigue might really be settling in. Guardians was originally a big surprise clocking in at 94 million in its opening weekend. But it’s success catipulted them to a 146 million opening weekend for the sequel and made them as much a part of the Infiniti War Saga as anyone else.

Falling 25% for what was sold as the Guardians grand finale couldn’t be what the Mouse House was hoping for.

I'm pretty sure the recent spate of "cosmic" MCU movies with Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder, and Ant-Man: Quantumania helped depress the opening week for this movie for a lot of people. I'm easily entertained, but I can't deny these were some of the worst movies in the MCU's history.

We'll see in the coming weeks if positive word-of-mouth helps keep this movie's numbers up, as it deserves (IMO).

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Curious to know how much Fast X and Little Mermaid will take away from Guardians. There's a good chance they could have a good Memorial Day weekend since Mermaid is the only new release that weekend.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I think I read it’s the lowest Marvel May opener in a decade. And off 25% from Guardians 2, which goes against the recent string of Marvel threequels besting the sequel’s opening weekend.

Yeah, it's not a great opening for Guardians. It's basically tracking the last Ant Man right now. It's going to have to have a mild fall off and not the 70% that MCU movies have been getting if it's going to have any chance of breaking even.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not superhero fatigue. It's crappy story, crappy effects fatigue.

This movie is going to struggle to break even.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the recent spate of "cosmic" MCU movies with Dr. Strange: Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder, and Ant-Man: Quantumania helped depress the opening week for this movie for a lot of people. I'm easily entertained, but I can't deny these were some of the worst movies in the MCU's history.

We'll see in the coming weeks if positive word-of-mouth helps keep this movie's numbers up, as it deserves (IMO).
I think there’s no doubt the above is correct. The shine is off Marvel with their latest run of movies outside of the Spider-Man Reuinion bonanza.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious to know how much Fast X and Little Mermaid will take away from Guardians. There's a good chance they could have a good Memorial Day weekend since Mermaid is the only new release that weekend.
I’m super curious to see what Mermaid does.

And I expect Fast X to continue its downward trend since it’s high water mark with Fast 7.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose