McCown to the Lions?

Arvos

Veteran
Reaction score
Howdy Fellas.....
Josh McCown is visiting the Lions tomorrow, and I hope he doesn't leave without a contract. What was the deal in Arizona? I never saw him play a full game and only caught an occasional highlight. He seemed to be a good quarterback, young, mobile, strong armed. What am I missing? If he signs I hope/think he can win the #1 QB spot from Harrington and with a little coaching from Martz, who knows what can happen from there.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
He has been too inconsistent. He may become a good QB eventually, but we need to win now...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Arvos said:
Howdy Fellas.....
Josh McCown is visiting the Lions tomorrow, and I hope he doesn't leave without a contract. What was the deal in Arizona? I never saw him play a full game and only caught an occasional highlight. He seemed to be a good quarterback, young, mobile, strong armed. What am I missing? If he signs I hope/think he can win the #1 QB spot from Harrington and with a little coaching from Martz, who knows what can happen from there.

He's just not very bright, or he doesn't seem to be very bright on the field.

He doesn't use his incredible athleticism (4.6 40) on the field very well either, so it isn't that big of a plus.

He could make it with another team, but that remains to be seen...

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has trouble leading receivers, reading defenses and maintaining confidence. He's got a strong arm, great feet and a big heart.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He is a complete tool and I hope the Lions sign him so I can throw a full reverse beat down on my friend (Lion's fan) who has given me much crap about McClown the last few years.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
He is inconsistent and only shows flashes of ability. He could become a good QB in time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
he's a really nice religious guy with little to no field awareness or leadership skills. this is a guy that had to bail on smu in college b/c he couldn't the competition. he's had some nice games for the cards, but almost every single one of them was either won by the defense, came against a really poor defense, or involved a really lucky fluke play at the end (minny game three years ago). he might be a late bloomer, but i doubt it. no shot at ever being special. could be a nice backup for years.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shhhh. You may get what you wish for.

McCown may be one of those guys who takes 4 or 5 years to grow into the job and he may be on the cusp right now.

Or not.

He hasn't shown enough consistency in his development to make anyone feel confident he'll get to where he has to on his growth curve in a timely manner.

But that doesn't mean he won't.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

McCown may be one of those guys who takes 4 or 5 years to grow into the job and he may be on the cusp right now.

Or not.

He hasn't shown enough consistency in his development to make anyone feel confident he'll get to where he has to on his growth curve in a timely manner.

Like him or not, Mike Martz can maximize a quarterback's potential. McCown may going to the right situation if he ends up in Detriot. Unfortunately, he will hear some "bad" words from Martz when he screws up.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
He's just not very bright, or he doesn't seem to be very bright on the field.

He doesn't use his incredible athleticism (4.6 40) on the field very well either, so it isn't that big of a plus.

He could make it with another team, but that remains to be seen...

hit it rignt on the head...i mentioned once before....when you're a one dimensional team the way we were AND you then have to dumb down the offense....it's katy bar the door....and that is what you have with mcc....certainly appears to be a nice fellow BUT......let someone else have the pleasure.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Or not.

jeff....this is definitely an "OR NOT. " by the way...two excellent signings today...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Logically speaking, McCown might be a good fit for the Lions and Martz's offense at this point. They're looking for a vet to come in and push Harrington and McCown will be able to hit the ground running since the AZ offense in 2005 was a hybrid of the Martz offense. Game experience and a head start in the system may give him a nice chance to win the starting job from Harrington.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Can you imagine the "Harrington vs. McCown" threads the Lions fans will be having this year?

This would confirm that the Lions fans are the closest to us in the level of suffering they have to endure.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didnt the Lions just sign Shaun King? So whats next... Preston Parsons and Jeff Blake will end-up in Detroit as well? :D

OP
OP
A

Arvos

Veteran
Reaction score
Rude dude.

SeattleCard said:
McCown is decent. I'd hate to see him waste away in Detriot though.

Now we don't have to be rude do we? I like McCown and think he could be flourish under Martz. The Lions and the Cards are not that far apart....we fans have been suffering under both systems. I would like to think both teams are on the cusp of turning this God forsaken losing streak around. Turns out I might be moving to Phoenix in the near future so I might be the only Lions fan in Cardinals territory. Peace.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I've only been subjected to one year of McCown playing qb so I can only go off of 2005. He's definitely a heartbreaker. I was sure he would solidify his position as the starter when Warner was out of the lineup but he just didn't. The more it looked like he would be given the job permanently, the more he played poorly. Inconcsistent is definitely an accurate description of him. Seems to have all the tools but I really question what he's got between the ears. Not intelligence per se, but mental fortitude...attitude...something. Whatever it is, it's holding him back to this point.

OP
OP
A

Arvos

Veteran
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I've only been subjected to one year of McCown playing qb so I can only go off of 2005. He's definitely a heartbreaker. I was sure he would solidify his position as the starter when Warner was out of the lineup but he just didn't. The more it looked like he would be given the job permanently, the more he played poorly. Inconcsistent is definitely an accurate description of him. Seems to have all the tools but I really question what he's got between the ears. Not intelligence per se, but mental fortitude...attitude...something. Whatever it is, it's holding him back to this point.

He can't be any worse than Harrington, can he?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Arvos said:

Yes. Harrington is more talented. If you think Martz can work miracles with McCown I see no reason why he couldn't do the same with Harrington.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
No, but I don't know that he's any better either. Both might benefit from some competition and a legitimate shot at earning the starting position. I don't know how valid the rumors are though with King in Detroit already.

Reaction score
Arvos said:
One certainty...

McCown's got more upside than Shaun King! ;)

Actually I like McCown and still hope the Cardinals could keep him. It's very unlikely, if McCown gets signed elsewhere, that the Cards will sign anyone better at QB, unless maybe Kitna.

JeffGollin had the best synopsis of McCowns abilities or lack thereof.

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Hope to see you in Phoenix, Arvos. Look forward to meeting you at the new Stadium.

The guys on the board have nailed it: Josh McCown is a tease. He's athletic, he can move, he's got an arm, and he's got enthusiasm and heart. There are times that you'll think...man, he's almost there.

The downside is, he's not a strong leader on the field and he'll miss open receivers at the worst possible time. Detroit should sign him -- he's got potential. But he hasn't taken it to the next step, not here in Arizona. That's why the Cards are willing to let him go.

And then there's this: Nobody on the team seems too concerned that he isn't coming back. My gut feeling is, the players doubt him, too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard