mccown on radio

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
when favre was mentioned..I started wondering.. wasn't he traded to green bay for a 1st or 2nd round pick? I think he was considered a "raw" talent and everyone thought green bay was crazy to give up such a high pick for a qb who was somewhat of a project... Not saying this has anything to do with mccown..does anyone know if favre was traded for a low round pick..or am I confusing him with someone else..

Favre was a 2nd round pick of Atlanta. He fell in the draft because people questioned how durable he was. He had 30 inches of intestine removed before his senior season in college from a car crash so NFL teams were worried how he would hold up. Ron Wolf was with the Jets at the time Favre was drafted and had him rated as the best player in the entire draft, but the Jets either didn’t have a 1st round draft pick or Wolf’s boss wanted to draft someone else in the first round. I forget which. The Jets were planning on picking Favre in the 2nd round but Atlanta beat them to it. Wolf was a personnel man with the Jets, but not the GM in total contral, but then he landed the bigger GM job with the Packers the next year. He traded a 1st round pick to Atlanta to get Favre. We all wondered what the hell he was doing trading a 1st round draft pick for someone on Atlanta’s bench who was picked in the 2nd round. Ron Wolf showed how stupid we were for asking. He said if you see talent, you don’t quibble on the price to get it. He was right.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ANOTHER FACTOR:

Parsons was playing on his home turf considering he was playing on the same fields he practiced on in college. I think I would do well in a setting that I was comfortable in....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
Shane,

Yes...I do think that the 4th string WR's were much better than the 4th string CB's.

Let's see...Jason McAddley against Justin Gallimore. Gallimore sucked while McCaddley doesn't. Nate Poole against Eric Joyce. Where is Eric Joyce?

I am not saying that McCown had a great camp. He did not. What I am saying is that I think the some of the evaluation of Parsons is inflated because the 4th string WR's, in practice and games, were far better than the corners and DB's were.

Actually 4th string WRs would have looked more like Gallimore, Tyrone Poole, Ezekial Parker, and some other white guy whos name escapes me so sorry I dont see the talent between the two as all that different??

Likje I said talkent is all relative. So the simple fact is McCown couldnt hit open WRs regardless of who was covering them they were still open!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Actually 4th string WRs would have looked more like Gallimore, Tyrone Poole, Ezekial Parker, and some other white guy whos name escapes me so sorry I dont see the talent between the two as all that different??

Likje I said talkent is all relative. So the simple fact is McCown couldnt hit open WRs regardless of who was covering them they were still open!

The guy that escaped me would be Solliday!

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score

Gallimore was a CB.
Tyrone Poole is a DB for someone...I can't remember who.

Here are the WR's that were in Cards camp:

David Boston Vet
Frank Sanders Vet
Martay Jenkins Vet
Nathan Poole Vet
Jason McAddley Rook
Ezekiel Parker Rook
Jake Soliday Rook
Arnold Jackson Vet

All of these guys rotated in with the 3rd, and 4th teams:
Nathan Poole Vet
Jason McAddley Rook
Ezekiel Parker Rook
Jake Soliday Rook
Arnold Jackson Vet

Those are decent receivers for Parsons to throw to. McCown also threw to them but in the preseason games, especially in the Packers and Dever games, McCown was going against better defenders.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gallimore was a CB.
Tyrone Poole played for the Packers and is another CB.

Here are the WR's that were in Cards camp:

David Boston Vet
Frank Sanders Vet
Martay Jenkins Vet
Nathan Poole Vet
Jason McAddley Rook
Ezekiel Parker Rook
Jake Soliday Rook
Arnold Jackson Vet

All of these guys rotated in with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th teams:
Nathan Poole Vet
Jason McAddley Rook
Ezekiel Parker Rook
Jake Soliday Rook
Arnold Jackson Vet

Those are decent receivers for Parsons to throw to. McCown also threw to them but in the preseason games, especially in the Packers and Dever games, McCown was going against better defenders.

Hahaha yea thats it nate poole! :)

Anyways sorry I dont see Nate Poole, Solliday, Parker, and Jackson as some sterling WR corps as compared to the CBs.

Third what does it matter are you reading the context of my point? The point is he couldnt hit an "OPEN" WR! I dont care if you are covered by Charles Woodson or Shawn Springs if your OPEN your OPEN and the QB should be able to get it to you. Do you not agree??? ESPECIALLY WITH NO PRESSURE BEING APPLIED.

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
I actually am getting away from my claim. I don't think that anyone can logically say that Preston Parsons is any better than Josh McCown based on training camp and preseason. There is not enough to evaluate them.

Only the coaches know! :D

Last edited:

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Hahaha yea thats it nate poole! :)

Anyways sorry I dont see Nate Poole, Solliday, Parker, and Jackson as some sterling WR corps as compared to the CBs.

Third what does it matter are you reading the context of my point? The point is he couldnt hit an "OPEN" WR! I dont care if you are covered by Charles Woodson or Shawn Springs if your OPEN your OPEN and the QB should be able to get it to you. Do you not agree??? ESPECIALLY WITH NO PRESSURE BEING APPLIED.

Yeah Shane...I was going in circles and not making any point. I have managed to confuse myself about where I was trying to go! :eek:

I finally figured it out in my previous post.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually am getting away from my claim. I don't think that anyone can logically say that Preston Parsons is any better than Josh McCown based on training camp and preseason. There is not enough to evaluate them on.

Only the coaches know! :D

I can say that hes better from what I saw with my own two eyes over 7 days in Flag! His footwork is better he doesnt look as panicky and the guy can at least hit an open WR!

I know the coaches saw that too because they were watching the same practices I saw. Its called ego and we paid more money for this guy so he will be the #2 guy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Shane...I was going in circles and not making any point. I have managed to confuse myself about where I was trying to go! :eek:

I finally figured it out in my previous post.

HAHAHA LOL its all good!

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
I can say that hes better from what I saw with my own two eyes over 7 days in Flag! His footwork is better he doesnt look as panicky and the guy can at least hit an open WR!

I know the coaches saw that too because they were watching the same practices I saw. Its called ego and we paid more money for this guy so he will be the #2 guy.

Here is something to chew on also. What you saw were seven days of camp and a handful of preseason games. I guess you could throw in the brief regular season appearances as well. I saw the same...except one less practice. Until an undrafted player consistently out performs the drafted player, I will not be sold on the undrafted player over that particular drafted player. I acknowledge Parsons great size and arm strength, but I still think that McCown is better.

And one thing we will never know is how they both practiced behind closed doors at the Tempe facility. I would take a wild shot at saying that McCown improved dramatically from what he showed in the Flagstaff practices. Of course that is a guess...but a faily safe one in my mind.

We will never know how they developed during the year...or will we?

Jim O and Dave Pasch post here sometimes...Jim O more than Pasch. Obviously we are all not scouts, but at least they have been to all of the practices throughout the year.

Jim and/or Dave...what are your takes on the young QB's?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson