Mavericks @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-10-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me watching the game looked like it turned when Shamet and Booker were in the back court with Biz at center.

Paul
7 points 10 assist 4 turnovers +7

Booker
28 points 7 rebounds +25

See the difference? But hey listen if you think Paul was good last night and that’s good enough so be it. Just remember that.

When the Suns have played well during the season they have been able to shift it into another gear with their bench so that's no surprise for me.

So would you like to sit Chris Paul and start Shamet with Payne coming off the bench? I don't think so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And…. Paul looked this way from the jump. It’s not because he was “tired” from guarding Luka…. he looked bad from the opening tip!
Yeah… he was bent over tugging his shorts from the first quarter on. Anyone who’s ever played basketball at any level, even pick up, knows that’s a sure fire sign of fatigue.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah… he was bent over tugging his shorts from the first quarter on. Anyone who’s ever played basketball at any level, even pick up, knows that’s a sure fire sign of fatigue.

I think he’s hurt. There’s got to be something going on with him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As we all know… there has never been and never will be a “perfect” coach.
So unless you are holding someone to that standard of perfection, you then must know that every coach possesses his/her respective shortcomings…
Now, if you want to bash dudes like Earl Watson, go for it. But the incessant bashing from a few of you, of a coach who took a floundering joke of a franchise to 8&0 in the bubble, then to a 2 - 0 in the NBA Finals last season, then to 64 wins this year and the #1 seed overall, to winning the NBA Coach of The Year (after being selected the same last year by his fellow NBA coaches), to now just a win away from getting back to the Western Conf Finals….well, I think you’re more than just a little naive.
Monty makes decisions with loads of pre-thought and intention. Perhaps more-so than most other coaches. I have no doubt that his decision ti stick with Payne for as long as he did, was backed by some strategy only Monty and a few others know. I accepted it. And I accept the change he has now made.
As fans, it’s our right to criticize. I get it. But the truth is none of us have ever been in a leadership position that would even be in the same stratosphere as a NBA head coach. Heck, most of you have never been in any form of a complex, high stress and multi-facets leadership position, period.
Developing maximized relationships with players, coaches, ownership, media and fans, as well as developing, installing and executing a culture and philosophy, on top of being a keen in-the-moment decision-maker, is all rarely blended together in ways that produce consistent excellence. IMHO, Monty has created a foundation that appears to be built this way and therefore, has achieved a degree of success few others coaches have ever achieved.
He gets the benefit of the doubt from me… because he’s earned it!

Monty won two Coach of the Year Awards. I'm glad you are cutting him some slack.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It may be the truth in your world but not in my world. You might want to tell Monty to start Shamet the next game.
Don’t get me wrong… Even in a performance last night, CP3’s presence has value. Mentally… Emotionally…. There’s tangible value to him being on the court, even when he’s essentially a zero performance wise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong… Even in a performance last night, CP3’s presence has value. Mentally… Emotionally…. There’s tangible value to him being on the court, even when he’s essentially a zero performance wise.

Maybe the Mavericks don't even have to guard Chris Paul anymore if he is that bad.

Call Jason Kidd about it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He was a +7, so by definition, he wasn't a "zero." (But apparently, it means he was "god awful")

You guys are like rabid wolves they way you turn on players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a +7, so by definition, he wasn't a "zero." (But apparently, it means he was "god awful")

I can only imagine the criticism if the Suns lost instead of winning by 30.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I would check out some tweets from the other side. And here it is, Luka is being criticized.

And Suns fans are criticizing Chris Paul.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

LOL… For the record, I have always been a huge CP3 fan. And still am!
But he played poorly last night. The only reason he had a +7 in a game the Suns won by THIRTY (only Crowder had a lower +/- out of the starters), is because he was on the court when Book, Ayton, Bridges and others were scoring!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only Holiday played more… we would’ve swept the damn Mavs!
I get it now. :rolleyes:
Now you are reaching dude. Nobody said that. FACT the Suns worst +/- lineup is with Payne on the floor. We have given up more leads with him on the floor. Getting him OFF the floor would have been a plus in any of those games. I have repeatedly said that I have no clue if Holiday was the answer but clearly getting Payne off the floor is. Holiday couldn't possibly play worse than Payne.

So what happened when we did that? Turnovers down. Team +/- up. Could you be anymore hyperbolic?

Dude...they put freaking SHAMET on the floor who has struggled for some time now and that made a difference.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL… For the record, I have always been a huge CP3 fan. And still am!
But he played poorly last night. The only reason he had a +7 in a game the Suns won by THIRTY (only Crowder had a lower +/- out of the starters), is because he was on the court when Book, Ayton, Bridges and others were scoring!
Oh so they won in spite of Chris Paul, got it.

SMH

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
McGee looked pissed on the bench. I would be too, Biyambo is trash.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Now you are reaching dude. Nobody said that. FACT the Suns worst +/- lineup is with Payne on the floor. We have given up more leads with him on the floor. Getting him OFF the floor would have been a plus in any of those games. I have repeatedly said that I have no clue if Holiday was the answer but clearly getting Payne off the floor is. Holiday couldn't possibly play worse than Payne.

So what happened when we did that? Turnovers down. Team +/- up. Could you be anymore hyperbolic?

Dude...they put freaking SHAMET on the floor who has struggled for some time now and that made a difference.
100% agree!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oh so they won in spite of Chris Paul, got it.

SMH
In spite of Paul’s stat performance…. But as I said, CP3’s value goes beyond the numbers… unless of course he’s putting up 8 turnovers in a half. ;)

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGee looked pissed on the bench. I would be too, Biyambo is trash.
What game did you watch? Biyambo was one of the reasons we won. He is a dirt worker and was more mobile on the switches. That "trash" played better than any big on the Mavs. In all fairness his playing time has been erratic and mostly went to McGee. It's been a plus to have him on the roster when Ayton/McGee get into foul trouble or are in a slump.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What game did you watch? Biyambo was one of the reasons we won. He is a dirt worker and was more mobile on the switches. That "trash" played better than any big on the Mavs.
Yeah do you find it strange that I remember Powell in every game at the start, but don't remember seeing him on the floor at all the last 3 quarters? In every single game? What an odd way to use a "starter."

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What game did you watch? Biyambo was one of the reasons we won. He is a dirt worker and was more mobile on the switches. That "trash" played better than any big on the Mavs. In all fairness his playing time has been erratic and mostly went to McGee. It's been a plus to have him on the roster when Ayton/McGee get into foul trouble or are in a slump.
Yeah and he actually hustles and try’s to rebound while Ayton just stands there or gets boxes out by small guys! And CP3 obviously did not play great but again double digit assists more than the whole Mavs team combined. Ease up gentleman we won and won big! Clearly CP3 is worn out they have been leaning on him hard and the schedule did us zero favors like other teams who had many days off.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Final comments on Paul….
He had a bad game - by his standards - last night. I think that’s really not debatable and totally fine to call out.
But he’s the BEST leader on this team and his presence, on the court, is vital! I have no doubt that his presence, not his performance, contributed to the win last night.
At 37, I find it miraculous that he’s held up as well as he has! And I pray that he get his championship - which he GREATLY deserves, this season!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big news in Dallas is the 'The Luka Special.'

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads